• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do we really need another starting pitcher?

drpiranha

I would welcome another starter like Senga or Bassit, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Minasian has already said that Ohtani will pitch every 7th day. Suppose they do that with the other 4 starters. The only times they would need a 6th starter is if they play 6 games in a row. The season is 26 weeks long, which means they will have around 15 off days. The off day allows the normal 5 day rest for a 6 man rotation. If you spot start someone like Barria or Canning 4 or 5 times, Silseth 2 or 3 times, and have a bullpen game a couple of times you have it covered. If their spot starter does well, he can join the rotation.

Of course, injuries throw a monkey wrench in to whole idea, but it's something to consider and then using that extra money for a SS.

22 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean it's not the biggest need, but improving the team is improving the team.

This. Anything that improves the team should be done. If a middle of the rotation SP prevents them from signing a SS and isn’t much better than what they have then don’t do it. 

Yes and no.  Yes, in that the more starters, the better, given most starters' precarious health.

However, that said, given our current needs, I would say it certainly comes after SS, so I'd say if we are trying to prioritize how to spend our money, SP would come after SS.

The Lugo rumor makes it sound like whatever SP we are looking for will probably be one in the Lorenzen-type bucket - a 1 year, modest deal.

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yes and no.  Yes, in that the more starters, the better, given most starters' precarious health.

However, that said, given our current needs, I would say it certainly comes after SS, so I'd say if we are trying to prioritize how to spend our money, SP would come after SS.

The Lugo rumor makes it sound like whatever SP we are looking for will probably be one in the Lorenzen-type bucket - a 1 year, modest deal.

Or he’s a fall back in case Senga goes elsewhere. Or they are looking at both with a trade in mind. 

they have 24 days off including the ASB.  

I think it's realistic to hope for about 25 starts each from the top five.  So you've 37 more starts to make up for.  

There is easy justification for one more SP.   Even if all 6 guys make every one of their starts, you're looking at 27 apiece.  

They can probably cover it with their current depth but having another legit starter would bring a lot of value to the team.  Not as much as adding a good SS, but probably more than adding a mediocre SS.  

48 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean it's not the biggest need, but improving the team is improving the team.

Every time I think I can put a hierarchy on the needs of the team, I get surprised. Going into last year, I thought for sure the Angels offense was set. But Rendon sucked and missed much of the season, same with Walsh, Marsh and Adell never stepped up, Stassi cratered and suddenly, the offense was stagnant. 

So I'm just going to assume that whatever I think I know about the Angels pitching capability is wrong. I don't think Sandoval and Detmers will suddenly crap the bed, but I don't know that for sure. And if they did, I don't think Rodriguez or Silseth would be overwhelmed with that new role, but I don't know. 

So if given the choice between acquiring a legitimately good SP and a shortstop of equal value, I still choose pitcher. 

I don't want to say that we got lucky with the staff last year but it was very unlike what had happened for the previous few years.  

6 players made 133 starts and one of them was only on the team for a little more than half the season.  

What it really looks like right now is kinda what the second half of the season looked like.  I say kinda, because we've added Anderson and lost Lorenzen who only made 5 starts afer the break.  

But... that might be a realistic projection where your top 5 would make about 52 of the 70 and you'd need 18 additional.  Prorated, that's similar to what I posted above with about 120 coming from you top five and another 42 coming from somewhere else.  

And monkeying with the 5 man vs. 6 man thing is all fine and dandy when you're talking about individual number of starts, but where the rubber meets the road for that is in innings.  

If 5 guys man the rotation and make all their starts (about 32) and get fewer innings per start to preserve their stamina for the long season then you haven't really bought yourself anything.  

I just don't think it's realistic for anyone currently earmarked for the rotation to get beyond 170 innings.  Which would be 5.3 innings per start if you made 32 starts.  

Those 5 guys averaging 6 innings per start for 27 starts is 162 innings each.  

So my question is, what's more effective?  relying more heavily on your bullpen and it's depth with a 5 man rotation or a lack of a true 6th starter, or getting that 6th guy, even if mediocre with the hope that your pen then won't have to be as deep AND the rest of your depth is for a rainy day.  

maybe my thought process is wrong, but 1 mediocre guy throwing 100 innings over 18 starts is essentially 100 less innings you need from the not so great parts of your bullpen.  So give me Lorenzen again even at his 4.3 FIP over 97.2 innings just to take that edge off over taxing the top pen arm and forcing more inning out of those guys you really shouldn't have on the mound.  

Hell, just take Mayers and his -0.9 WAR in 36 innings out of the mix and last year's pen goes from bottom 6 to middle of the pack.  

I think I'm gonna change my name to 'I love depth'.