• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Interesting read on Ohtani...

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2832159761815/angels-news-shohei-ohtani-on-the-best-time-for-the-team-to-trade-him

Shohei Ohtani gave an interesting answer to this hypothetical.

It's hard to imagine trading away an all-time talent like Shohei Ohtani , and the Angels have made it clear they won't be doing that this offseason . Ohtani brings exactly what a winning organization is looking for, and is a true once in a lifetime talent.

However, Ohtani was asked what he would have done if he were the Angels, and mentioned when he thought the best time to trade him would be. That time was this past trade deadline.

"Even if I were the GM or owner, I judged the timing to trade me for the greatest return was this year," Ohtani said in an interview with the Japanese sports magazine Number. "If you take a long-term view of the team, I think there were many options to trade me."

The Angels could've gone with the idea of getting a haul for Ohtani at the trade deadline, when he still was under contract for another year-and-a-half. But instead, they hung onto him through the end of the season, and will now do so until at least next trade deadline.

Ohtani is on the final year of his contract and will inevitably be set to make big money during the 2023 offseason. The Angels may find themselves in a bidding war for the two-way star, with no guarantee of re-signing him.

However, the Angels have made some key moves already this offseason, bringing in Tyler Anderson from the Dodgers and trading for Gio Urshela from the Twins. Their best chance of re-signing Ohtani is having a winning season, so they seem to be on the right track.

Moreno was already looking to sell at that point and probably felt Ohtani was the top asset on the team to attract potential buyers. If the team is looking to rebuild, not trading him at the deadline was a big mistake. But if a new owner wants to contend, they have to convince him to sign an extension. It's really as simple as that. 

10 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Moreno was already looking to sell at that point and probably felt Ohtani was the top asset on the team to attract potential buyers. If the team is looking to rebuild, not trading him at the deadline was a big mistake. But if a new owner wants to contend, they have to convince him to sign an extension. It's really as simple as that. 

Agreed,

This could had been the Double Edged sword that someone will eventually have to fall upon. I'm hopeful this sale can get done and there is enough time to negotiate with the New Owner (is there even a new owner or anything on this front regarding offers)??? You would think that a prospective New Ownership Group or Individual would want to be updated on these Negotiations prior to finality of sale. That a lot of Sponsorship monies and International Media Share. 

You would hope that Ohtani would allow it up to the start of the season so SPT could be busy on this front!

IF it isn't done by SPT I think it's Sayonara to Ohtani. He will move on to either up the 5FWY, or one of the New York Teams, or underdog SF...

Just now, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

(is there even a new owner or anything on this front regarding offers)???

Last I heard there were multiple bidders and financials were being reviewed. At one point there was talk that they were trying to expedite the process and we might hear some more info around the Winter Meetings. Not much has leaked out, though. 

58 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Last I heard there were multiple bidders and financials were being reviewed. At one point there was talk that they were trying to expedite the process and we might hear some more info around the Winter Meetings. Not much has leaked out, though. 

Given how all of our acquisitions have gone, I feel like we won't hear a peep until an actual deal is in place and the owners have to vote on it.  Moreno, and the people who work for him, appear to be incredibly tight-lipped.  Which, IMO, is great, but it's less fun for us fans because there are zero legit rumors lol.