• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

3 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I did not see this coming. Will they slot him as starter or BP piece? 

Can't know for sure, but would seem to think bullpen is most likely.  Per Fangraphs, back in 2020:

Repurposed in the bullpen, Romero is now a two-pitch sinker/slider reliever. His heater gained two ticks in the shorter outings and he’s now averaging 96-97 and touching 99 with his two-seamer, and his hard, upper-80s slider is very tough on righties because of his slot. He has late-inning stuff but the command might prohibit that sort of role. Romero doesn’t repeat his delivery very well, his release point really wanders, and Rocco Baldelli watched him walk a lot of hitters last September. If Romero is going to stick in the majors this year, he’ll have to pitch himself into the late-inning role that even those who rightly considered him a reliever while he was a prospect (raises hand) thought was likely.

Low risk, high reward type of move.  The most likely outcome is nothing comes of it, but ideally the FO can sign a variety of pitchers like this, and have 1 or 2 emerge to be legit bullpen options.  Romero would seem to at least have that potential.

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Not going over the tax confirmed.

I cringe every time I hear he's hands on with the negotiations. 

Unless he knows Perry is trying to make a good trade so Arte stepped in to make sure they signed Drury 

Basically, everything that has occurred this offseason indicates the team is operating as it always has under Moreno.  He has always had payroll increase and has always been heavily involved in the operations of the team.  The style of moves (acquiring players with 1 or 2 year contracts, with the exception of Anderson) is consistent with how we have seen Minasian make moves.

I don't really view this as a terrible thing, just you know, an expected thing.  

57 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Basically, everything that has occurred this offseason indicates the team is operating as it always has under Moreno. 

I’m not sure about that. Their 2023 payroll is $26M higher than the 2022 payroll was.

In 2022, the opening day payroll only went up $6.5M from 2021 and in 2021, the opening day payroll actually went down $2M from 2020 (non pro-rated).

The complaints about Arte Moreno being “hands on” right now are really ridiculous.

With the team going through an ownership transition, this would be the one time an owner should be over communicating with the front office to make sure everything stays on track.

If you hate Arte and his history, that’s fine.  But he is selling the team.  There is plenty of evidence that he was too “hands on” in baseball decisions.  That will be a big part of his legacy no matter what happens during this transition.

You don’t have to spin him communicating with the front office now into evidence of him meddling.

It kinda comes off as petty.

And I will say one more thing.  Everyone hopes the next owner is not hands-on in baseball decisions.  Well, an owner is only too “hands on” in baseball decisions if the baseball decisions they make are bad baseball decisions.

2 minutes ago, HanfordGuy said:

For a guy with a lot of velocity, he didn’t strike out a lot of batters in the Japanese league. Doesn’t walk a lot of batters though. Interesting pickup.

Yeah.  He seemed to basically be a starter there though.  I think we'll likely have him as a reliever.  His stuff could play up better in relief and with good coaching.