• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels bring top prospect Logan O’Hoppe to taxi squad

AngelsWin.com

ANAHEIM — The Angels didn’t bring catcher Logan O’Hoppe to Angel Stadium to play, but they still feel he can gain invaluable experience.

The Angels added their top prospect to the taxi squad for the final nine games of the season so he could be “eyes and ears open,” Manager Phil Nevin said, and get ready to compete next year.

“We thought it was a good idea to get him around (Kurt Suzuki), get him around (Max Stassi), have that veteran leadership,” Nevin said. “So he’s comfortable going into spring training, knowing our pitching staff and knowing these guys. He hasn’t been around. He goes into spring training next year, he’s really going to be accustomed to those guys and hit the ground running when we get there.”

O’Hoppe, 22, was the key player the Angels acquired in the Brandon Marsh trade with the Philadelphia Phillies last month. O’Hoppe immediately shot to the top of the Angels’ prospect list, and he enhanced his status by hitting .306 with 11 home runs and a 1.147 OPS in 29 games with the Angels’ Double-A affiliate.

The Rocket City Trash Pandas were knocked out of the playoffs last week, so the Angels brought O’Hoppe to Anaheim, gave him a uniform (No. 14) and instructed him to soak up all that he can.

“I’m really excited to be here and looking forward to learning a lot,” O’Hoppe said.

Next year O’Hoppe and Matt Thaiss figure to be on the depth chart for playing time behind Stassi, who has two years left on the contract extension he signed in spring training. If Stassi struggles as much next year as he has this year, obviously O’Hoppe or Thaiss could work into a more prominent role.

Stassi said last month that he’d already heard good things about O’Hoppe from a friend in the Phillies organization. They sat together near the dugout during batting practice on Tuesday.

“I’ve already picked Max’s brain a little bit,” O’Hoppe said. “I hope he doesn’t get too bugged by me. Just trying to get my feet wet and try to just and learn as much as I can. That’s the approach I’ve had my whole career. It won’t change being here.”

O’Hoppe said he feels like he’s been better defensively than offensively, despite his eye-popping numbers at the plate after the trade. He said hitting became “contagious” around the other players at Rocket City.

“It was a dream come true,” O’Hoppe said. “I’ve been wanting to be a part of a group like that for a while. I got down there and everyone made me feel welcome right away. It was a group I’m going to miss. A lot of good guys and a lot of friendships I am able to form and keep up with now so it was a great experience. And as a couple months I won’t forget.”

RENDON UPDATE

The Angels brought minor league pitchers in to throw to third baseman Anthony Rendon, who is rehabbing from June wrist surgery. They increased the intensity of his workouts as they try to determine if he will be able to play before the end of the season.

After Rendon hit, Nevin said Rendon “swung the bat good, felt good,” and that they would “see how he feels the next day.” Nevin said the Angels are prepared to have the pitchers face him again on Wednesday or Thursday.

Time is running out quickly for the Angels, though.

Rendon has to serve a five-game suspension resulting from his role in the June fight against the Seattle Mariners. It is unlikely that Major League Baseball would allow the Angels to activate Rendon simply to serve the suspension, so he’d need to be able to play after the five games. The Angels will have eight games left on Wednesday.

Rendon and Nevin have both said there is value in Rendon getting back to 100%, even if he’s not activated, so he can have a worry-free winter.

BRADLEY’S BACK

Right-hander Archie Bradley, who broke his elbow during the same fight, was activated on Tuesday.

Bradley posted a 4.82 ERA in 21 games. He was on the injured list with an oblique issue before breaking his arm. Bradley, 30, said he’d like to re-sign with the Angels, so he is hoping he can do something in the final games to prove that he can do better next year.

“I still have thoughts about the season and the impact I could have had,” Bradley said. “I’m not saying things would have been different. But I feel like I bring something to the table more than the average player. I would say it starts there. Show Perry (Minasian), show the Angels I’m healthy. I’m still a good quality major league pitcher.”

The Angels created spots for Bradley on the 28- and 40-man rosters by designating right-hander Mike Mayers for assignment for the second time this season. Mayers had a 5.68 ERA in 50-2/3 innings with the Angels.

NOTES

Infielder David Fletcher has been taking batting practice against coaches, but he has still not faced live pitching. Fletcher said he’s still dealing with some pain in his right hand from getting hit by a pitch earlier this month. …

Fox Sports announced it will air a special on Shohei Ohtani on FS1 on Oct. 18. The show will begin after Game 1 of the American League Championship Series.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Michael Lorenzen, 7-6, 4.78) vs. A’s (RHP Adrian Martinez, 4-5, 6.10), Wednesday, 6:38 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

I'm curious what Nevin called Suzuki and Stassi. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum?

Also, is there any good reason that regardless of how ready Rendon actually is, the Angels wouldn't bring him back to "play" six games, five to serve his suspension and one as a pinch-hitter, just to give the appearance of legitimacy? Seems like a no-brainer.