• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What is Shohei Ohtani gonna get in arbitration this offseason?

BTH

There’s no precedent, so what do y’all think Ohtani’s arb number looks like?

If you just go by comps as a hitter and comps as a pitcher and add them together, it’d end up somewhere between $40-$45 million.

But no one has ever sniffed that amount in arbitration.

It’s gonna have a massive effect on how much money the Angels have to spend this offseason. I could see it being anywhere from $25M to $45M, which is a $20M difference.

If it goes to arbitration it's the first act in an ongoing year long drama between Arte and Ohtani's representatives. As of now we don't know if either side wants to negotiate a long term deal. Given the off season time frame it seems more likely that the arbitration process will have to be undertaken. 

The Angels could show good faith with a record setting one year offer before the confrontational nature of an actual hearing. Thirty million really has to be the limit. And even that is unprecedented by a lot. No bickering back and forth, trying to show the negatives.

As well, it would set the table for a less acrimonious negotiation for a long term deal whenever that takes place in the upcoming year. 

We also don't know if Ohtani is already thinking beyond the Angels after next season. And not concerned with getting too deep into discussions about a long term commitment. In that case he may just want to maximize what he can get for next year and let the future take care of itself. 

He always has been a high risk taker, betting on himself, so I think he won't compromise for whatever his objectives are. 

17 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Hopefully they avoid arbitration and we don't have to worry about it.

16 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

If it goes to arbitration it's the first act in an ongoing year long drama between Arte and Ohtani's representatives. As of now we don't know if either side wants to negotiate a long term deal. Given

5 hours ago, eligrba said:

If I remember correctly, the Angels did not want to go to arbitration last time with Ohtani.  I would guess the Angels have the same plan for this arbitration.  Going to arbitration with Ohtani would be a mistake.

The real question I was asking is: how much is Ohtani gonna make in 2023?

Since he’s arbitration eligible, that’s what I meant when I asked the question “What is Shohei Ohtani gonna get in arbitration this offseason?”

Regardless of whether or not he goes to an actual arbitration hearing or avoids arbitration without a hearing, Ohtani’s gonna get paid and I’m simply asking how much he’s gonna get regardless of whether he goes to arbitration or avoids it.

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

I could see them avoid arbitration and give him a two year $65-70 million contract, basically ask him for one more year to get their shit together. 

A version of this would be to sign him to a 7-9 year deal or whatever but with some opt outs. That’s really the best case scenario for Ohtani if he wants it. He is guaranteed all the money and gives the Angels a chance to be good (which I assume is his first choice).

26 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

A version of this would be to sign him to a 7-9 year deal or whatever but with some opt outs. That’s really the best case scenario for Ohtani if he wants it. He is guaranteed all the money and gives the Angels a chance to be good (which I assume is his first choice).

That works for me 

58 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Hadn’t thought of that but it does make some sense…

The arbitration decision will be based on performance.

They will likely take the total number of games and innings pitched and then take his total number of plate appearances and production over those at-bat's and come up with a hybrid number that summates the total production. So it will be some fraction of his pitching and hitting added together and it will probably be a significant, probably record-breaking number. He will get credit for all of his performance, in all likelihood.

Of course it may not matter once the Angels extend or, much, much less likely, trade him.