• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cuban RHP MIguel Alfredo Gonzalez...

Haven't heard anything about it, but the Angels have generally avoided the Cuban market over the past few years.  Players are coming over with tons of upside, but I just don't think the organization had the scouting presence or money to spend to land such talent.  

So I'd be very surprised if they were involved at all.  However, given the success of many Cuban prospects, I think it's time the Angels got involved.  

This is the exact type of move the organization needs to make. My understanding is that it won't count against our draft pool, is not limited by the current cap on foreign players, and could give us some legitimate pitching when we need it. This should be a no-brainer. And, for the player, it should be a no-brainer as any agent looking at our organization will quickly realize that if the player has any talent, he will be in the Major Leagues within a year.

Think of it this way, it's also leverage against any player taken in the draft who has yet to sign. They can easily say we've replaced you with Gonzalez, so, we're sticking to our guns, and it's up to you to decide if you think you can get this big of an offer again. It's the right move to make on so many levels. If the Angels really want to be a big market team, then they have to make big market moves like this.

Supposedly he was throwing 97 in TJ....   Yes, he's 26, which really all that means is he's physically matured and a safer bet injury wise that your average pitcher, all of which are one pitch away from retired.

This guy is there for the taking.   This is the type of move they need to make.

Haven't heard anything about it, but the Angels have generally avoided the Cuban market over the past few years.  Players are coming over with tons of upside, but I just don't think the organization had the scouting presence or money to spend to land such talent.  

So I'd be very surprised if they were involved at all.  However, given the success of many Cuban prospects, I think it's time the Angels got involved.  

Why haven't they scouted the Cuban market?  Morales really wasn't a disaster for us!

This is the exact type of move the organization needs to make. My understanding is that it won't count against our draft pool, is not limited by the current cap on foreign players, and could give us some legitimate pitching when we need it. This should be a no-brainer. And, for the player, it should be a no-brainer as any agent looking at our organization will quickly realize that if the player has any talent, he will be in the Major Leagues within a year.

agreed, this is exactly where the Angels should be looking!

Supposedly he was throwing 97 in TJ....   Yes, he's 26, which really all that means is he's physically matured and a safer bet injury wise that your average pitcher, all of which are one pitch away from retired.

This guy is there for the taking.   This is the type of move they need to make.

Acording to some scouts, he was clocked at 96, threw mostly fastballs and a spliter every now and then, only the fastball was working. Threw three perfect innings, 6 K at an A class level league. He was deactivated from the Tijuana Toros the moment he stepped off the mound, it was his first game action in a long time, only a showing for the scouts.

mingjung posted this report on the NMLR earlier tonight.

--------------------------------------

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez Scouting Report

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, originally from Cuba, has been declared a free agent by Major League Baseball. A 25-26 (I read two different ages) year old right-handed pitcher, he is listed at 6-2 185. There aren't good scouting reports available online from what I can find, but the Dodgers and the Cubs are interested, along with some other teams that have been watching him throw. 

Statistically, the last year I can find that he played in the professional league in Cuba is 2009-2010. He had a ERA 2.13 better than league average, 6.99 K/9IP (19.2 K%), and 3.9 BB% (1.45 BB/9IP). League Average that year was 5.0 K/9IP and 3.83 BB/9IP. So Gonzalez was a lot better than league average, but when comparing him to other professional Cuban pitchers that came to the states, his strikeout rate is still pedestrian. 

Reports are that he has a fastball, changeup, forkball, and curveball. This is the only video I can find of Gonzalez, and is what I used to write this article. 

He really looks lanky in the video, but at his age, you don't expect him to really add weight. He seems to be able to locate his fastball low or high. It looks a little straight up high and the velocity doesn't look plus, but seems workable. He showed he can get in on lefties and break bats. 

The change movement doesn't look great, but it looks like he gets on top of the curveball well. I wish I could see more of those two pitches. The forkball looks more like a splitter than the traditional forkball (at least compared to the ones you see in Japan) with quite a bit of arm side movement before dropping (almost looking like some kind of 2-seam hybrid).

Statistically, he had good command, and when teams see him throwing, they will obviously know his velocity, and without having very good readings, it is hard to really speak to his ceiling or placement in a rotation in the Majors. He does seem to have at least two big league pitches, and should be able to pitch in the big leagues, but how effectively I can't really speak to.

http://irfast.blogspot.com/2013/06/m...ng-report.html

The Angels need pitching. The 2014 FA Class for pitchers is pretty weak. This is the perfect choice.

This is why the Angels won't even scout him.

We had a scouting contingent in Tijuana but it doesn't appear that there's much smoke.

Although who the F knows anymore with this org.

We can give a washed up Hackilton $125 million and trade for $86 million Mr. Pop-Up.

But we can't bring in this guy who's a lot younger than those two?

Why is it that Arte seems to only take risks with age 30+ players?

I agree with Scott, what the F is this org even thinking from day to day anymore?

Let's say that the Angels want to resign Vargas next year. How much will that cost? Now compare that to Gonzalez. I would think with a weak FA pool for pitchers for the foreseeable future that Vargas will get overpaid by someone and that Gonzalez would be the better option. This move makes too much sense.