• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select 1B Sonny DiChiara 148th overall in the 5th round of the 2022 MLB Draft

mmc

"The Southeastern Conference co-player of the year had an exceptional year, but there are concerns about how well his skills will translate to pro ball. On the plus side, DiChiara has a long track record of hitting for power and this year he became a well-rounded, complete hitter. He set the Samford freshman record with 21 home runs in 2019, added 18 in 2021 and slugged another 20 in his first year at Auburn. In addition to plus power, DiChiara led the nation in on-base percentage (.565) and ranked in the top 25 in batting average (.399). He’s deadly against fastballs (.467/.579/1.000) including premium velocity, but he handled pretty much anything SEC pitchers threw at him. Working against his draft status is his age (he’ll turn 23 right after the draft) and his lack of athleticism. DiChiara is one of the heaviest players in college baseball. A bottom-of-the-scale base clogger, DiChiara is below-average at first base because of his lack of range, slow actions and inaccurate arm. DiChiara’s hitting ability and power could make him a day two selection, and the arrival of the DH in the National League helps his case. His best-case scenario is as a Dan Vogelbach-esque slugger."

Ranked 4 in Law's list of best available players going into Day 2

4. Sonny DiChiara, 1B, Auburn

Sonny D is a large senior slugger for Auburn, a transfer from Samford who has hit 20 homers with more walks than strikeouts for the Tigers, even hitting well in-conference. He clobbers fastballs, can tell a ball from a strike, and doesn’t chase out of the zone very often. He’s also a DH in waiting, given his girth, and hasn’t shown that he can hit decent breaking stuff. He demolished left-handed pitching this year, but if a right-hander can land a breaking ball in or near the zone, DiChiara has trouble with it. He’s going to turn 23 in August, which will kill him in many teams’ draft models, but a team willing to take a chance on the power/OBP skills will get a great senior sign here.

• mmc changed the title to Angels select 1B Sonny DiChiara 148th overall in the 5th round of the 2022 MLB Draft
6 minutes ago, Taylor said:

For some reason this post made me realize that if the Angels allow Ohtani to go to some other team for the rest of his career, I might be done as a fan.

What does "allow" mean?  If he doesn't want to stay what can they do?

17 minutes ago, Taylor said:

For some reason this post made me realize that if the Angels allow Ohtani to go to some other team for the rest of his career, I might be done as a fan.

I'd be devastated but life goes on and nothing is permanent. I'll enjoy what we had. Still hopeful he and Trout have way more faith than we do and dig their heels in and help make this team memorable for another decade still though. 

Darkest before dawn or some shit.

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd be devastated but life goes on and nothing is permanent. I'll enjoy what we had. Still hopeful he and Trout have way more faith than we do and dig their heels in and help make this team memorable for another decade still though. 

Darkest before dawn or some shit.

Maybe you’re right. They better get their shit together this offseason and go balls to the wall, not worrying about the luxury tax a bit. Arte has the money, but not sure he cares enough to not let Ohtani walk. 

7 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Maybe you’re right. They better get their shit together this offseason and go balls to the wall, not worrying about the luxury tax a bit. Arte has the money, but not sure he cares enough to not let Ohtani walk. 

Arte/FO just needs to quit basing their entire plan in single-year view. It's like politicians only addressing whatever helps get them elected next cycle instead of thinking beyond that timeframe. 

I can sort of understand why Arte is hesitant to spend money when all the money he keeps spending doesn't do anything. Why spend more? They can't spend their way out of this (we spent plenty this winter and it hasn't done jack, plus Rendon, Hamilton, Pujols), they can't one-year deal/waiver claim their way out of this like Eppler did, they can't crafty trade their way out of this like Dipoto did.

This org only ever seems to think about this year and the next year, max, both in terms of payroll, building a 26-man roster, and developing the farm instead of actually plotting an admittedly complicated and risky 5-year multi-faceted plan that involves investing heavily on the farm, amateur scouting, player development, mid-tier FA spending, and trading players at the peak of their value instead of taking what they can get when they walk or at the deadline before their walk year. They can't seem to think past the next 18 months any given time. 

Eppler has seemingly come to closest to this, but he really screwed up continuously on the lower-tiered FA signings and he had the absolute harshest luck with injuries. 

Edited by totdprods