• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ bullpen allows 8 runs in blowout loss to White Sox

ANAHEIM — A promising night for the Angels got away quickly in a barrage of hits against a short-handed bullpen.

The Angels lost, 11-4, to the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday night, as an early three-run lead turned into a blowout loss.

Chase Silseth shut out the White Sox for four innings, while the Angels gave him a lead on solo homers by Mike Trout, Shohei Ohtani and Andrew Velazquez.

Silseth, though, struggled in the fifth, allowing the White Sox to tie the score. Angels relievers Oliver Ortega, Aaron Loup, Elvis Peguero and Jaime Barria were charged with a combined eight runs.

The Angels are well equipped for the late innings, with Raisel Iglesias, Ryan Tepera and José Quijada all pitching well.

However, the rest of the bullpen is currently thin because of injuries and Sunday’s fight with the Seattle Mariners. Andrew Wantz is currently suspended because of the incident, which leaves the Angels down one man on the roster. Archie Bradley is now on the injured list after he was hurt jumping the dugout railing to join the fray.

A pair of other productive Angels middle relievers – Austin Warren and Jimmy Herget – were injured last week.

The Angels were left to slog through a disappointing night just after they’d won two in a row and showed encouraging signs as they try to get their season back on track.

On the bright side, they still have Ohtani pitching on Wednesday with a chance to win the series.

They gave the ball to Silseth for the start on Tuesday, his return to the big leagues after a few weeks at Double-A. Silseth made it through the first four innings without giving up a run. He struck out five of the first eight hitters he faced.

In the fifth, though, it all fell apart in the span of three batters.

Leury García poked a single the opposite way on an outside pitch. Seby Zavala, a Bishop Amat High product, then yanked a changeup down the left field line for an RBI double.

Silseth then got too much of the plate with a fastball and Josh Harrison hit it over the left-field fence, a two-run homer.

A few batters later, Ortega gave up a booming two-run shot to Luis Robert, putting the Angels down, 5-3.

Loup, who has struggled for most of the past month, entered in the sixth and allowed a single, a double and a walk in the four batters he faced. Peguero bailed him out of that inning by getting a double play.

Peguero didn’t retire any of the four hitters he faced in the seventh, though. All of them eventually scored.

Meanwhile, the Angels’ offense came mostly from Trout and Ohtani.

They hit back-to-back homers in the third inning, the 23rd of the season for Trout and the 17th for Ohtani. Ohtani also added a pair of doubles, including an RBI double in the seventh inning.

The Angels also had to take left fielder Brandon Marsh out of the game with a right knee contusion. He is listed as day to day.

More to come on this story.

View the full article

46 minutes ago, Lou said:

Players pick up on things like that all the time. 

Not surprised at all. 

Definitely not embarrassed.

It’s embarrassing that his own teammates are pointing it out while in the field for everyone to see. Seems like something you’d address in the dugout or on a mound meeting 

34 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Some of you act like an awful crime has been committed.

FFS.

I mean it’s not the first time a pitcher on Angels has been tipping pitches…it might be due to inexperience on the part of our staff, but you gotta wonder if Wise is actually addressing the issue.

I thought Silseth was slightly tipping off his pitches early in the game, but it might be paranoia. 

3 minutes ago, failos said:

I mean it’s not the first time a pitcher on Angels has been tipping pitches…it might be due to inexperience on the part of our staff, but you gotta wonder if Wise is actually addressing the issue.

I thought Silseth was slightly tipping off his pitches early in the game, but it might be paranoia. 

The pitching just sucks. That's not on Wise.

Did Wise see him tipping pitches? I have no idea and neither does anyone here

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

The pitching just sucks. That's not on Wise.

Did Wise see him tipping pitches? I have no idea and neither does anyone here

It’s not necessarily about Wise seeing him tipping pitches, it’s about training these pitchers to not tip pitches. This is a organization development issue, so I can’t necessarily blame Wise here because he probably hasn’t had much coaching experience with some of the guys fresh from AAA.

Either way, this issue keeps occurring this season, and it’s surely an easy fix…whether a pitcher sucks or not doesn’t mean they aren’t incapable of tipping pitches.

With all the cheating out there, you’d think they’d hammer this into the organization.

1 hour ago, khouse said:

So your reaction to what you think is an overaction leads you to somehow equate a simple concern to that of a crime? 

I'm applying the same standard as the others