• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Athletic: "Q&A with Joe Maddon after surprise firing from Angels: I want to manage"

BTH

Ken Rosenthal published a Q&A with Joe Maddon shortly after his firing.

Link: https://theathletic.com/3353876/2022/06/07/maddon-angels-interview/

I felt like this deserved its own thread. I'm not gonna post the entire article, since it's behind a paywall, but I felt this part was particularly noteworthy:

"I'm into analytics, but not to the point where everybody wants to shove it down your throat."

"It's too controlled by front offices these days"

"I actually talked to Perry about this. This isn't anything new. I told him that. I said you just try to reduce the information you're giving, try to be aware of who's giving the information and really be aware of when it's time to stay out of the way."

Sounds to me like there was a big internal debate over the use of analytics between the front office and Maddon. That seems like the biggest reason Minasian wanted to fire Maddon.

Man.  He really really loves not taking any ownership of this.  I really didn’t like this.  Even if he doesn’t believe he’s culpable and I mean fair enough it’s not all him of course.  But Jesus take some of it man.  Just say the right thing.  Can’t even be bothered to do that I guess.  I’m pretty confident it was the right thing to get rid of him after reading that.  Not good at all.  

and all the nonsense about “duuuurrr actually love analytics but not too much”.  Makes you think.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

15 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Man.  He really really loves not taking any ownership of this.  I really didn’t like this.  Even he doesn’t believe he culpable and I mean fair enough it’s not all him of course.  But Jesus take some of it man.  Just say the right thing.  Can’t even be bothered to do that I guess.  I’m pretty confident it was the right thing to get rid of him after reading that.  Not good at all.  

and all the nonsense about “duuuurrr actually love analytics but not too much”.  Makes you think.  

That's nothing new with him.

I’m actually kinda surprised reading this.  I never viewed him as having a massive ego and such a narcissistic view of himself in previous interviews I’ve see or read from him.  But I also don’t really follow managers.  I follow players and the team

but wow, after reading this, I’m even happier at the decision.  He’s clueless and has zero grasp on reality.