• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Between the team being tough to watch, and Patrick O'Neal being the worst ever

nate

• nate changed the title to Between the team being tough to watch, and Patrick O'Neal being the worst ever
4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't know who's worse but Vasgersian gets on my nerves sometimes. He has a great voice but says dumb stuff.

Yeah, I think I prefer O’Neal (can’t believe I’m saying this). Matt V seems so detached and uninterested in the Angels, and he definitely says the dumbest things. This is just a side hustle for him.

39 minutes ago, failos said:

Yeah, I think I prefer O’Neal (can’t believe I’m saying this). Matt V seems so detached and uninterested in the Angels, and he definitely says the dumbest things. This is just a side hustle for him.

Having Vasgersian as a play-by-play guy is kind of like having a dad who is a long haul trucker. You love it when he comes around but you have to explain everything that happened while he was gone.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Having Vasgersian as a play-by-play guy is kind of like having a dad who is a long haul trucker. You love it when he comes around but you have to explain everything that happened while he was gone.

image.png

MV is bad and a Trojan so it figures, but PO takes it to a whole new level. He is by far the worst the Angels have ever had and up there with the worst I have ever heard. He says some of the dumbest and most cringeworthy stuff and when ever an Angels player does anything he acts like they just won the World Series.

6 minutes ago, nate said:

MV is bad and a Trojan so it figures, but PO takes it to a whole new level. He is by far the worst the Angels have ever had and up there with the worst I have ever heard. He says some of the dumbest and most cringeworthy stuff and when ever an Angels player does anything he acts like they just won the World Series.

He's better than Mota

Almost all home team broadcasters are unbearable over time. They are basically shills for their organizations. Their chatter is always filled with reminders about team promotions, obscure local references, lame jokes, suck up to organizational employees at all levels and extreme home team bias. Rarely actual objective analysis of the big and small pictures. Sit through three hours plus day after day and it gets annoying. 

It's a carry over from a century of radio, when ball games functioned like soap operas, with the story continued day after day. And on radio, time had to be filled with stories and anecdotes. As well as more descriptive detailed play by play. But today with dozens of camera angles, an extensive array of  graphics and stats plus internet resources TV broadcasters  should be more minimalist. 

O'Neal is maybe more over the top in his  positivity and corporate spin. Not unlike Sutton very much.

Some of his routine gets painful, such as the constant praising of "all star" Mark Gubicza. Who actually had a losing career record with only a couple of good seasons out of many years. And barely any time playing for the Angels during his final season. Not that I dislike 'Gubi' who at least is more objective about the mechanics and strategies of games. 

Some of the other local team broadcasters are actually worse. I've started watching many road games with the sound muted. O'Neal is tolerable once you acknowledge that he has to promote the team as part of his job. Maybe if he toned down his effusive rhetoric a little it would help. 

Gubicza should be our next pitching coach, he's wasting his time on broadcasting.  He was pretty adamant about Raisel not throwing a strike to Harper yesterday before the down the middle changeup home run pitch.  He comes up with some great pitching insights.

25 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Gubicza should be our next pitching coach, he's wasting his time on broadcasting.  He was pretty adamant about Raisel not throwing a strike to Harper yesterday before the down the middle changeup home run pitch.  He comes up with some great pitching insights.

To be fair, everyone was baffled by that pitch.

patty o. doesn't have a single insight into the game. he calls the game like he's never listened to a ball game before.

matt v. tries to make every play sound like speizio's homer in game 6. he's over the top, but tolerable.

i'd rather listen to matt v. any day of the week, but neither one of these two should be viewed by the team/station as a long term solution.