• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your First Halo's Home Game?

Barf

Opening Day 1996 against the Brewers.  I was doing a semester at USC Film School as part of a pilot program that Duke was running to give students exposure to the entertainment industry. Chuck Finley was my favorite pitcher, so I wanted to see him in person after following him from afar for a decade.  Angels lost 15-9 and Finley gave up 8 runs in 2 2/3 IP.  So much for that!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL199604020.shtml

1961, Wrigley Field vs Detroit. We were in the rf bleachers. We caught 2 balls on batting practice hr's. Angels lost. Kaline & Colovito homered for the Tigers.  Fregosi came in to play ss near the end of the game in his rookie year. Wish i could remember more, as i was a couple months away from my 9th birthday.

I can’t remember the year but I remember one of the earliest games, if not the first was a double header against the White Sox. Both games went into extra innings. Boone and Miller were the catchers. My uncle Marcy took me. It was special because my mother refused to drive in Southern California and my uncle agreed to drive. It was a lot of baseball and fun. Angels lost both games in extras and Thigpin got the save for both games. Thank you Uncle Marcy.

Don't recall my first Angels game but do remember quite a few other memorable ones back then.

June 10, 1983, vs. Toronto. Doug DeCinces breaks up Luis Leal's no-hitter in the 7th with a ringing double, then Reggie Jackson (with a 102-degree fever) comes out of the clubhouse in the 8th to pinch-hit and blasts a 3-run homer to deep center field, to tie the score 3-3. DeCinces later in the inning hits a 2-run shot and the Angels win 5-3.

The only home run I ever saw Reggie hit in person. Great game, so good that I even remembered the date.

My first, and only, Angels home games were June 14 and 15, 1986 against the Royals. I loved that team. I remember Wally Joyner hit a home run in that Saturday game and Halos won 6-5. Looking up the box score on BR tells me Don Sutton pitched 6+ innings and Doug DeCinces also homered. The Angels lost the Sunday game 6-5 and all I remember from that game is Dan Quisenberry coming in to close the game for the Royals. I don't know how many hours I spent in the backyard imitating his funky sidearm delivery.  Great memories!

21 minutes ago, East Coast Bias said:

My first, and only, Angels home games were June 14 and 15, 1986 against the Royals. I loved that team. I remember Wally Joyner hit a home run in that Saturday game and Halos won 6-5. Looking up the box score on BR tells me Don Sutton pitched 6+ innings and Doug DeCinces also homered. The Angels lost the Sunday game 6-5 and all I remember from that game is Dan Quisenberry coming in to close the game for the Royals. I don't know how many hours I spent in the backyard imitating his funky sidearm delivery.  Great memories!

Goodness, I was at that June 14th game! Sutton was going for his 300th win but would be denied as he was out of the game when the Angels scored the winning run. My Dad bought tickets for the family and we were all there to watch history, but it didn't happen. He won his 300th on his next start.

1992. I was too young to remember I just know they beat the Yankees. I think the score was 3-2. I also got a Marlins hat because I liked the color.

First game I actually remember was Opening Day 2007 against Texas. Definitely a completely different atmosphere. We went to 5 games that trip and the Angels went 4-1. All in all it was a good time.

Great story @Barf It’s awesome that you have that.  Mine is not nearly as cool.  Anyway.  Ya I think my first Angels game was in 2004.  They were playing the Red Sox and I was pumped to see Vlad.  A buddy and I sat in the top perch very furthest RF view section.  Not great seats ! But I was happy to be there and the Halos won.  I’ve been to a bunch of great Angels games that are a lot more memorable.   

not my first MLB game.  That was when my Dad took me to a Dodgers game in I think maybe ‘94 or ‘95.  I was pretty little and didn’t really know what all was going on.  But I do remember going out there and remember my Dad telling me Mike Piazza the catcher was the best player.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

On 1/6/2022 at 1:35 PM, True Grich said:

I wish I knew for certain the details of the first game I ever attended, but I don't.  I believe it was May 23, 1967,. but I can't confirm.  I remember attending a game where the Angels won 5-1 at some point early in my life (whether it was the first game or not, I don' t know) and I thought it was against either the Royals or the White Sox.  And the only box score that matches that is May 23, 1967 when the Angels beat the Royals 5-1. It actually bugs me a little that I don't know.  I know I saw Rich Reichard, Jay Johnston and Jim Fregosi play and all 3 were on that roster.

The earliest game I ever attended that I can confirm 100% is May 9, 1970.  I can confirm that because it was "bat night" and I vividly remember Andy Messersmith beating the Yankees 11-3.  I've been able to verify that one through news articles and the box score.

Another game I remember specifically was the Angels facing off against Vida Blue on July 4, 1971. Vida Blue pitched a gem.