• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bowden: Trading Frankie Montas

If you need a laugh, Bowden has an article out this morning suggesting 8 hypothetical trades for the Athletics to send Montas somewhere else. One of those options is the Angels. I'll let Jimbo take it from here:

"With Jo Adell and Jordan Marsh looking like they’re ready to be the corner outfielders surrounding Trout for years to come, the team could offer the A’s one of their top outfield prospects in the speedy Jordyn Adams or the power-hitting Alexander Ramirez. Throw in a pitching prospect like Chase Silseth and we might be able to call a press conference."

Per baseballtradevalues.com, here is how this trade lines up in value:

Adams - 4.9

Silseth - 0.8

vs 

Montas - 39.6

This gives the Angels roughly 34 mtv in surplus value. 

And that is why Bowden is writing articles instead of actually working for a team. 

11 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I bet no GM even considers making a trade until he consults baseballtradevalues.com.   
🥺

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/how-accurate-are-jim-bowdens-trade-proposals/

Obviously each team has their own data and valuations, but as the article points out, btv is fairly close to how deals actually shake out. Bowden rarely is anywhere close. 

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/how-accurate-are-jim-bowdens-trade-proposals/

Obviously each team has their own data and valuations, but as the article points out, btv is fairly close to how deals actually shake out. Bowden rarely is anywhere close. 

I like to listen to Bowden, Jim Duquette (who I like a lot) and Steve Phillips on MLB Radio….Bowden and Phillips are full of it at times but they’ve actually been in a GM’s chair….Even if tradevalues has a formula, actually pulling the trigger on a trade is more than raw value of players….budgets, other GM’s who are hard to deal with….like Minasian has said, it’s hard to make a trade….lots of variables….

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Montas has only 2 years of team control. 

Yes I know. My point being, I don't care how much team control he's giving us. I would rather have Marsh. 

Adell is whatever. I hope becomes something huge for this team, but I'm not counting on it. 

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yes I know. My point being, I don't care how much team control he's giving us. I would rather have Marsh. 

Adell is whatever. I hope becomes something huge for this team, but I'm not counting on it. 

I think Adell has had a lot of pressure placed on him, certainly more than Marsh and in a lot of ways has performed admirably. The last 10 days have been significantly better for him.  I think Marsh and Adell have pretty equal odds to be impact players for us.  We’ve seen a lot of guys fold on some of these tough stretches that Adell has had.  He hasn’t.  I think it’s a great sign. 

Its curious they have Montas value that high with only this and next year under control... Which is why other teams have balked at Oaks request im sure.
Im not suggesting Bowdens idea is great or anything, we would all obviously make that deal right now, But Oak isnt going to get a top kid from anybody  for just a year and a half.   The longer they wait the less they get unless a contender has a massive injury, which is likely what they are gambling on. 

2 hours ago, floplag said:

Its curious they have Montas value that high with only this and next year under control... Which is why other teams have balked at Oaks request im sure.
Im not suggesting Bowdens idea is great or anything, we would all obviously make that deal right now, But Oak isnt going to get a top kid from anybody  for just a year and a half.   The longer they wait the less they get unless a contender has a massive injury, which is likely what they are gambling on. 

Yea, I don’t know if that is true.  Some very good prospects were traded at the deadline last year for rentals or year and a half of a guy.  

2 hours ago, Lou said:

I'm sure there are several teams looking for a player that sucks. 

I mean he’s a guy that plays a bunch of positions on a cost controlled contract that not that long ago was a good offensive player as well.  He has value.  Especially to cheap ass team like the A’s.  Combined with like Suarez who knows maybe you’ve got something there. 

3 hours ago, floplag said:

Kimbrel a year and a half got Madrigal, Berrios (ended up being extended, but was originally set to be a free agent after 2022) got Austin Martin and SWR.  If Montas pitches like a TOR starter this year, the A's can absolutely get an elite prospect in a trade for him.

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I would trade Adell, but I wouldn't trade Marsh for 5 years of Montas. 

Honestly I hope they can ship Suarez and someone like Adams or Ramirez for Montas. 

They'd probably ask for Marsh, but imo Marsh is worth more. Adell is closer because Adell still hasn't proven himself, but it's not a trade I'd make because it's selling too low on Adell. 

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Fletcher has no value right now.  Even with his very good defense, he's barely a replacement player.  

I’m just saying he is potentially expendable.  If he shows any life over a stretch of AB’s he might be a nice trade chip.  And you never know what a team like the A’s or the Rays see.  Maybe they think they can fix his dumb ass.  Maybe not.  But I don’t think the idea that the book is closed on him having any value is correct. 

Edited by UndertheHalo