• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Ranks The Angels' lineup #10 in baseball

tdawg87

https://www.mlb.com/news/teams-with-best-lineups-in-2022

Hopefully, health will cooperate for Trout and Rendon this time around, because it would give the Angels a terrific enough quartet atop the order to justify this spot in the Top 10. For the Angels to truly reach their ceiling would require breakthroughs for former top prospects Adell and Marsh, and a better on-base mark from Fletcher than they received in his down 2021.

Validation!

1 hour ago, Revad said:

Six AL teams in front of the Angels, four from the East, the White Sox and the Astros.  Maybe it’s a good thing more balanced scheduling starts next year instead of this one.

I actually think the unbalanced schedule is the reason. When you face the pitching staff of the Orioles and bottom of the AL Central 19 times, your lineup looks better.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

#10 offense, #6 bullpen, #??? rotation.

Yep, a rotation full of question marks seems pretty accurate to me. Hopefully with much better answers this year. The Syndergaard / Ohtani one-two at the top of the order could be bloody fun to watch in a month or two. Hopefully so much so that it becomes a thing to refer to them as the Nohtani or the NoSho or some other silly thing. Trying not to get too excited considering our history, but, well, each Spring I seem to find another deep reservoir of hope where the Angels are concerned. 

I read this list yesterday, and I've got to say, some of these teams are ranked way higher than they should be. 

At #1, I have no qualms with the Dodgers being put there. They were #1 in the NL, but only managed 830 runs. They lost their best hitter from last year, Seager, but replaced him with a full season of Trea Turner and of course, Freddie Freeman. Their former MVP, Bellinger, looks lost in spring though, so they may need some OF help. I still would've ranked them #1.

#2, being the Blue Jays, again, no major issues, but...losing Semien and replacing him with Chapman, basically is a wash. If 2021 was a fluke, and Chapman returns to form. Chapman was at his worst season last year for the A's. Grichuck for Tapia is also a wash. So will they be as good as last year? A full season of George Springer would help, but I also think every member of the 2017-2019 Astros that leaves is suspect. It's not that I don't think Springer is a good player, it's that I think he was aided by the sign stealing, and won't be as good. In his first year in Toronto, he had a +143 OPS, but that's partly because of 7 HR in 14 games in minor league parks. I'd have ranked them #3 or #4.

#3 being the White Sox, I think they're #2. Solid all the way through. 

#4 was the Braves, and I think the loss of Freeman, even though they added Olson, and the fact that Acuna is out for a few months, drops them to #7.

#5 being the Yankees, Ok...so I'd have ranked them far lower. They overhauled their 2021 team that was a tick below the Angels, added Donaldson and Kiner-Falefa, not really a big add. I think they should be around #8.

#6 being the Red Sox, Ok, so I like the Story add, and they did lose Schwarber and Renfroe but brought back Bradley but they have them ranked right.

#7 was the Phillies and they look great in the Spring. They're ranked probably a little low, and should be around #5.

#8 was the Astros, and yes they had the highest runs in the AL. But guess what, they're likely cheating again! In a new way! Sorry, but once a cheater always a cheater, especially since none of them have faced any consequences of note. Why Stop? They lost their GM, ok, sure...and manager is the Tigers guy now, but he wasn't ever on board, and they have him out of the way. Personally I feel the front office (and ownership) was much more culpable than we thought, they cheated for years, not just in 17, and it definitely helped them, as the studies that prove it didn't, well, they're biased with assumptions that this only took place in 17, and that the numbers in 18-19 and 21, are real numbers. But if they've been cheating, all the numbers are fake. And Even if they're clean, which they're not, they also lost Correa, and though they're pumping Jeremy Pena as a star, he's not there yet. I think they're gonna have a huge set back, drop to #12. 

#9 was the Rays, and they're ranked right. Too many questions, but the production doesn't lie. 

#10, was our Angels and with MVP Ohtani back, they're gonna score some runs. They have a weird lineup with Velazquez at SS and not mentioning Upton or Ward. Fletcher is coming off a down season, but oh yeah, Mike Trout is back and as is Anthony Rendon. I'd take the Angels 1-4 over nearly anyone's, in Ohtani, Trout, Rendon, and Walsh. Upton or Ward hits fifth, and the lineup gets a bit lighter as a result, but Adell breaks out and takes that spot, it pushes the other corner OF to 6, Stassi to 7, and the MINF guys (Duffy, Wade, Fletcher, and eventually Stefanic) to 8 and 9. I like this lineup a lot, and really feel they Should be ranked #3 or #4.

Giants would be #10 on my list, Padres #11, then the Astros, Brewers, Twins, and Cardinals round out my Top 15. Rangers may also sneak up there but have too many question marks, as do the Tigers.

1 hour ago, bloodbrother said:

Gonna guess they'll be in the 14-18 range for that one and should easily be bottom 5 in team defense

You think they'll be bottom 5 in defense? With Rendon and Trout playing full seasons? And Wade / Duffy / Fletcher at MINF? 

I mean, corner outfield is weak defensively, but not crazy weak. Upton is not good but Adell should be average and Marsh and Ward should be slightly above in average as corner OF.

Stassi is a top defensive catcher, and Walsh is good at 1st.

SO....

14 minutes ago, Hubs said:

You think they'll be bottom 5 in defense? With Rendon and Trout playing full seasons? And Wade / Duffy / Fletcher at MINF? 

I mean, corner outfield is weak defensively, but not crazy weak. Upton is not good but Adell should be average and Marsh and Ward should be slightly above in average as corner OF.

Stassi is a top defensive catcher, and Walsh is good at 1st.

SO....

Well they are coming off being the worst fielding team in MLB last season. Rendon back at 3B should help but Trout is closer to average in CF at this stage in his career. I also think Maddon does a disservice with his constant shuffling players around the field.

7 hours ago, Revad said:

Six AL teams in front of the Angels, four from the East, the White Sox and the Astros.  Maybe it’s a good thing more balanced scheduling starts next year instead of this one.

Are the White Sox really that good?