• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How many teams do they need to expand the playoffs to for you to be confident in the Angels making it this season?

mmc

How many teams do they need to expand the playoffs to for you to be confident in the Angels making it this season?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How many teams do they need to expand the playoffs to for you to be confident in the Angels making it this season?

• I'm already confident they will
    • More than 2/3rds of the league needs to make the playoffs for me to be confident that the Angels will

I have no problem with a 14 team playoff. I have a problem with them playing winterball for the World Series. For extended playoffs the season should end on August 31st. That gives plenty of time to run a reasonable playoff series and get to the World Series by the first week of October. 

It's either that or all playoffs and World Series games are held at weather independent venues. There is no reason to see guys dressed like they are going skiing to play baseball and having pouring rain mixed in. That is not a true test of each teams skill, which can play 9 innings without freezing their balls off.

19 hours ago, Blarg said:

I have no problem with a 14 team playoff. I have a problem with them playing winterball for the World Series. For extended playoffs the season should end on August 31st. That gives plenty of time to run a reasonable playoff series and get to the World Series by the first week of October. 

It's either that or all playoffs and World Series games are held at weather independent venues. There is no reason to see guys dressed like they are going skiing to play baseball and having pouring rain mixed in. That is not a true test of each teams skill, which can play 9 innings without freezing their balls off.

I don’t mind expanded playoffs if the lower seeds are significantly disadvantaged compared to the division winners. This season we are likely to see an 81 win team face a division winner in a three game series. What’s even the point?

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don’t mind expanded playoffs if the lower seeds are significantly disadvantaged compared to the division winners. This season we are likely to see an 81 win team face a division winner in a three game series. What’s even the point?

Broadcasters like playoff games and owners like broadcaster money

Well playoffs are more exciting than the regular season, so what is not to like.  There isn’t a single one of us (anymore) that would complain if we had the worst record of any playoff team and then went in and took out the #2 seed in the first round because we have a rotation of Ohtani, Syndergaard and Sandoval.  

So what will happen at the trade deadline if there are more teams in the playoff race?  Does that mean demand will be that much higher so the prices will be through the roof like last years deadline?  Or could it have an effect where teams actually trade strength for strength with two teams looking to get to the playoffs?  Or will the price for players be less?  

48 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So what will happen at the trade deadline if there are more teams in the playoff race?  Does that mean demand will be that much higher so the prices will be through the roof like last years deadline?  Or could it have an effect where teams actually trade strength for strength with two teams looking to get to the playoffs?  Or will the price for players be less?  

More competition in the trade market will naturally drive up the price. I do not like the idea of expanding the number of playoffs teams at all. I think with fewer teams in the post season it makes games at the end of the regular season so much more important. Usually the last two weeks of the regular season are fantastic to watch as every game becomes crucial for the teams on the bubble. IMO, adding more teams just waters down the playoff competition.