• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

White Sox to Decline Option on Cesar Hernandez

Mark68

12 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

I'd be OK with Hernandez as long as it frees up mo money fo mo arms.

Give me a top SS and two mid range quality arms like Rodriguez and Jon Gray over two top arms like Scherzer and Stroman and a poor MINF like they had last year.

34 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Seems like exactly the kind of guy the Angels would sign to hit .215 with a .625 OPS and just a barely above average defense.

Barely above average defense is not what’s needed (as indicated above).  I’m not so concerned with the bat tool as with the glove.   A very good defensive shortstop to go with Rendon, Fletch and Walsh would be peachy.  I’d like to see a good defensive catcher as well, it would be nice if either SS or catcher could also hit…

Edited by Revad

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

I'd be okay if they added a 2B, effectively moving Fletcher to SS, which he can handle, but not Cesar Hernandez.

I personally can’t really think of a 2B that is available that I’d want enough to justify moving Fletcher to SS. I’m not against the idea…just don’t know who. 

Thought it would have made sense last winter with Kolten Wong, personally.

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Kolten Wong isn't very good imo.  If you add a 2bman it sure would be nice to get someone with some positional flex and make Fletcher a super util.  I could live with that.  I wouldn't be super excited about him be our everyday SS

Wong’s 3.3 bWAR, solid offense and strong defense would have been pretty good in place of Iglesias at SS last year (with of course Fletcher instead being at SS)

Not optimal but I think it would have been a marked improvement over what we had.

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I personally can’t really think of a 2B that is available that I’d want enough to justify moving Fletcher to SS. I’m not against the idea…just don’t know who. 

Ketel Marte, Segura, Whit Merrifeld via trade. 

Via FA -- Chris Taylor probably plays a lot of positions for us but I'd imagine Fletcher would move to SS when both play, when Taylor is in the OF or at 3rd, then I'd say Rengifo or Davis is at SS and Fletcher is at 2nd.

Despite announcing a flurry of other transactions, the White Sox did not officially announce that they declined Hernández's option. That makes me suspect that they are still trying to see if they can trade him for *something* before losing him for nothing.

6 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Ketel Marte, Segura, Whit Merrifeld via trade. 

Via FA -- Chris Taylor probably plays a lot of positions for us but I'd imagine Fletcher would move to SS when both play, when Taylor is in the OF or at 3rd, then I'd say Rengifo or Davis is at SS and Fletcher is at 2nd.

The problem with adding any of those players is that it takes away resources (money or prospects) that you'd otherwise allocate to getting SP and RP help.

Marte and Merrifield take away prospects that could be used to acquire starters.

Segura takes away money that could be spent on starters or relievers.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The problem with adding any of those players is that it takes away resources (money or prospects) that you'd otherwise allocate to getting SP and RP help.

Marte and Merrifield take away prospects that could be used to acquire starters.

Segura takes away money that could be spent on starters or relievers.

Yeah, I don't think they need an entirely new SP staff.

If it were up to me I'd prioritize Iglesias, an ACE, and a SS. If I get say 12M for Iglesias, 25M for a solid pitcher, and 20M for a SS   (first year salaries) --- and then had to get a budget starter, BP help, and a backup catcher for say 8M total, I'd be okay with that.

Just now, Hubs said:

If it were up to me I'd prioritize Iglesias, an ACE, and a SS. If I get say 12M for Iglesias, 25M for a solid pitcher, and 20M for a SS   (first year salaries) --- and then had to get a budget starter, BP help, and a backup catcher for say 8M total, I'd be okay with that.

Getting say Marte for 2nd, even if it costs a lot of prospects, actually helps shop for FA SP as he is gonna make around $10M in 2022. 

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

I think I'd be OK with that too, but I worry that they won't spend that much money. They probably have the money for Iglesias, a solid pitcher, and a SS, but I doubt they'd have any money beyond that to spread around.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think I'd be OK with that too, but I worry that they won't spend that much money. They probably have the money for Iglesias, a solid pitcher, and a SS, but I doubt they'd have any money beyond that to spread around.

Ok, so say Semien comes for a first year salary of 18M, Iglesias for 12. That leaves you 25-30M for starters if they spend 55-60. Probably enough to get you say Eduardo Rodriguez and Jon Gray.

Or they trade for Marte, get Stroman for 25, Iglesias for 12, and then get Alex Cobb for 8...

Both good options.

Paul DeJong also would cost the same salary as Marte, but he was terrible with the bat and has never been the hitter Marte is. DeJong would cost way less in prospects.

They're gonna have to address it.

50 minutes ago, totdprods said:

i can think of one, fortunately hes also a SS... Semien