• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels see Raisel Iglesias as a closer and leader

TEMPE, Ariz. — Joe Maddon is hoping he can finally reap the benefits of a pitcher who used to give his teams so much trouble.

Desperate to fix a shaky bullpen, the Angels acquired closer Raisel Iglesias from the Cincinnati Reds in December. They brought in a pitcher whom Maddon never wanted to see when he was managing the Chicago Cubs.

“It’s premium stuff, premium closer stuff,” Maddon said. “When he’s on a really good roll, hitters do not like going up there.”

Iglesias, 31, comes to the Angels with a résumé that includes 100 saves over the past four seasons with the Reds, with a 2.95 ERA. Although he struggled in 2019, which he attributed to some personal issues that preoccupied him in the previous winter, he bounced back to post a 2.74 ERA in 2020.

Maddon had liked Iglesias from the other side of the field, and now that they’ve been together in spring training, he’s been impressed with what he’s seen from the person.

“He’s a craftsman,” Maddon said. “He’s really into his bullpen (teammates). He wants to be the guy that’s in charge down there. He wants to be able to set an example and be the kind of mentor for the rest of the group, which I love, in spite of the language barrier.”

Iglesias, who is from Cuba, still conducts interviews using an interpreter.

He defected in 2013 – on his second try – and signed with the Reds in 2014, receiving a seven-year, $27-million deal.

The Reds initially used Iglesias as a starter, with fellow Cuban Aroldis Chapman entrenched at the back of their bullpen. After Chapman was traded, Iglesias became the Reds’ closer, a job he has relished.

“It’s the most important three outs of the game,” Iglesias said. “You could have a starter go out there and throw five, six, seven, eight innings and then I could go in there for the last three outs and take that hard work away from him. I take pride in going out there for the last three outs with my main focus on closing the game.”

In his first year as a closer, Iglesias performed well, but the right-handed pitcher had some issues with left-handed hitters. In 2018, though, he started throwing his changeup more often to lefties, and it’s helped him to even out his numbers.

He now throws his fastball, which averages 96 mph, about 45% of the time, complementing that mostly with sliders against righties and changeups vs. lefties.

Despite his success with the Reds, who were a playoff team in 2020, they traded him to the Angels over the winter, a move likely dictated by money. Iglesias is set to make $9.125 million in 2021.

“I was surprised at first because I didn’t expect it,” Iglesias said. “But once they called, my lawyers and my agent, I was definitely excited to come over here.”

Iglesias said he’s also been surprised at how quickly he’s bonded with his new teammates. (He had played for one year in Cincinnati with shortstop Jose Iglesias, a fellow Cuban but no relation.)

As Maddon said, he’s also trying to be a leader to the relievers.

“I love going out there and sharing my experiences,” he said. “I try to help them, show my support.”

INJURY UPDATES

Right-handers Gerardo Reyes and Brendan McCurry have decided to undergo Tommy John surgery, knocking each of them out until sometime next year.

Reyes, 27, was the reliever the Angels got from the San Diego Padres in the Jason Castro deal. He had a shot to make the Opening Day roster, and if he hadn’t broken camp with the team he likely would have been up at some point this year. The Angels still have him under control for at least five more seasons after 2021.

McCurry, 29, is non-roster invitee to camp. He has never pitched in the majors. He spent the past three years in Triple-A with the Houston Astros.

Luke Bard received an injection in his hip, and he’ll be re-evaluated in the next 72 hours. Aaron Slegers and Dillon Peters, who both had back spasms, have resumed throwing. Peters is throwing up to 180 feet and was scheduled for a bullpen session Thursday.

Bard, Slegers and Peters all have options, so none was a lock to make the Opening Day roster.

Brandon Marsh continues to throw. He’ll be evaluated over the next week to determine when he can play outfield in a game. He’s been limited to designated hitter so far because of an arm issue.

Max Stassi could catch in a game within a couple days. Stassi, who had hip surgery, has been limited to DH in games so far. He is expected to be ready to be the No. 1 catcher by Opening Day.

NOTES

A day after the Angels optioned left-hander Hector Yan, Maddon said that his velocity had dropped slightly and they don’t know why. “When I first saw him last year, I was so excited,” Maddon said. “There’s some deception there, but the ball just wasn’t coming out of the hand as hot. So we’ve just to research that as we move forward. When he was 2-3 mph quicker, the hitter reaction was entirely different.” Yan, 21, is the Angels’ fourth-best pitching prospect, according to Baseball America. …

The Angels added right-handed pitchers Zac Kristofak and Austin Warren to big-league camp. Warren is ranked the team’s No. 30 prospect by Baseball America. …

Maddon, 67, revealed that he has received his first shot of the COVID-19 vaccine and is almost due for his second.

View the full article

12 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

NOTES

A day after the Angels optioned left-hander Hector Yan, Maddon said that his velocity had dropped slightly and they don’t know why. “When I first saw him last year, I was so excited,” Maddon said. “There’s some deception there, but the ball just wasn’t coming out of the hand as hot. So we’ve just to research that as we move forward. When he was 2-3 mph quicker, the hitter reaction was entirely different.” Yan, 21, is the Angels’ fourth-best pitching prospect, according to Baseball America. …

Hmm...this is a little concerning. 

I had heard that Yan's velocity had dropped at the Alternate Site last year, and the numbers backed that up.

His average FB velo last week was 91.3 mph and he topped out at 92.8 mph.

Not sure why that's the case, but it's very concerning. First thing I think of is perhaps there's an injury there.

Also, he becomes way less interesting as a prospect if his velo is in the low 90's. If the Angels face a 40-man roster crunch during the season, we could even see him get dropped from the 40-man.

After initially being confused, I believe I've figured out why the Angels DFA'd Gerardo Reyes when they could have just put him on the 60-day IL:

1) They don't have to keep him on the 40-man roster in the offseason of 2021-2022, although he could be picked in the Rule 5 draft.

2) They don't have to pay him a major league salary for the full year while he's on the IL.

I think the 2nd point is the biggest reason why. It also makes me wonder if they DFA Bard if his injury turns out to be more serious. I just don't think Arte wants to pay salaries for fringe 40-man guys on the IL.

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Arte NEEDS to let Perry acquire more bullpen help.

Does Arte really think they can contend with a pen that is largely questionable after Iglesias, Mayers, Pena, and Claudio?

How do you know Arte is preventing him from acquiring more bullpen help?

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

I can’t see Perry being satisfied with only one key reliever acquisition, given the lack of depth there.

You still haven't answered my question.