• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout single season HR record?

Dtwncbad

The question is based on an “if”. . .

IF you believed Mike Trout could break the single season HR record by focusing on hitting homers all year long, and that meant regression in other numbers. . .

Would you want him to do it?

Edited by Dtwncbad

I doubt it, too much swing and miss.  

Power hitter Trout is my least favorite Trout. The best Trout in my opinion and I realize WAR doesn’t support this, was the 2012 Trout, where he was stealing 49 bases and hitting some bombs.  Where a ground ball to the backhand at SS felt like it was a single.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Power hitter Trout is my least favorite Trout. The best Trout in my opinion and I realize WAR doesn’t support this, was the 2012 Trout, where he was stealing 49 bases and hitting some bombs.  Where a ground ball to the backhand at SS felt like it was a single.  

Well, actually WAR does support it. At least bWAR does, it's his best season at 10.5

To respond to the question somewhat seriously, I would never want Trout to "focus on HR" to start the season, or pretty much anytime within the season. I mean, to some degree he's trying to hit a HR every time up - he wants to square up the ball and hit it as hard as he can, as far as he can. Him focusing on HR means more Ks (he already strikes out a lot), less walks (one of his strengths) and a lower BA. And even so, trying to hit HR would likely screw up his whole approach and he might end up hitting less than he would.

But you don't really start thinking about breaking the HR record unless he's got some absurd number at the ASB - like 40 HR or some such. Even then, post-ASB is about 40% of the season and it would be very hard to hit 34 HR in 70 games.

Anyhow, I highly doubt the HR is ever surpassed, not unless baseball changes significantly. 73 is a lot of HR...we're not talking 61. I think we'll see 60 HR hitters again - I mean, Stanton hit 59 a few years ago - but it is very, very unlikely we'll ever see 70+.

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m with you on this Strad.  The early Trout was aggressive on the bases, wasn’t solely focused on trying to change a game with one swing of the bat, and was using all fields in his approach.

I just feel lately, and I certainly don’t have the metrics to back this, but Trout has been way more focused on hitting for power and in turn, has been way too selective on hitting his “perfect” pitch, which has led to him watching more than a few third strikes go by him.  Again, this is just MY opinion and maybe it’s just being to harsh a judge on Trout because I’ve been spoiled watching him play for so many years.  

So back to the original post, I’d rather have Trout be 2012 Trout rather than Bonds, McGuire or Sosa any day of the week.

50 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The question is based on an “if”. . .

IF you believed Mike Trout could break the single season HR record by focusing on hitting homers all year long, and that meant regression in other numbers. . .

Would you want him to do it?

No, we have enough problems and it would probably cause a negative cascade effect on his arm/health.

I want Trout to simply be Trout, just like Hank Aaron was simply Hank Aaron. Aaron was the greatest power hitter, maybe of all time, but he never changed his swing to elevate the ball to try and reach 50. He never got 50. He was consistently in that 30-45 HR range. Just like Trout had settled into that same range. 

Trout doesn't need to change a thing. Just stay healthy. If he does that, he should have a career that rivals the greatest of all time. He doesn't need to sell out for a single season award. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Same here. And by a large margin.

I get that he got "better" as a hitter. But as a player, personally, i miss the version who hit a home run once or so a week, but was 3-5 every night with 2 doubles, a single, and a stolen base. Was more exciting, to me at least.

I remember saying he was bonds back then. People ragged on me for that, and i had to clarify i meant the pittsburg version. A bit of him and ricky henderson. Then he turned into SF bonds. Not the video game version, but the version just before it

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

Homeruns are all well and good, but I have always preferred to watch guys like Rickey Henderson over guys like Mark McGwire.

Henderson is the most underrated "legend" guy out there. I was too young to see his peak, but looking at his numbers, wow.

Id take a team of 9 hims vs a team of 9 power guys any day.

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Henderson is the most underrated "legend" guy out there. I was too young to see his peak, but looking at his numbers, wow.

Took a baseball history class, and one of the assignments was a research paper making an argument for whoever we thought the best baseball player ever was. Who we picked didn't matter so much as the research and well-formed arguments we could put behind it. In talking about the assignment with our class the prof mentioned that the single best version of this paper he had ever read was making an argument for Rickey Henderson.

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I saw way too much of Henderson when he was on the A's and killing the Angels every plate appearance. If he wasn't walking he was lacing a double that would have held other players to a single. If he did walk it might as well been a double because two pitches later he would be on second base anyway. In the six year period from 1979 through 1984 with the A's he hit .295/.403/.425/.828 with 573 stolen bases. It was mind boggling and if course Charley Finley traded him to the Yankees. Because that is what Oakland has always done, develop great players then trade them to the Yankees. 

31 minutes ago, Don said:

Took a baseball history class, and one of the assignments was a research paper making an argument for whoever we thought the best baseball player ever was. Who we picked didn't matter so much as the research and well-formed arguments we could put behind it. In talking about the assignment with our class the prof mentioned that the single best version of this paper he had ever read was making an argument for Rickey Henderson.

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I saw way too much of Henderson when he was on the A's and killing the Angels every plate appearance. If he wasn't walking he was lacing a double that would have held other players to a single. If he did walk it might as well been a double because two pitches later he would be on second base anyway. In the six year period from 1979 through 1984 with the A's he hit .295/.403/.425/.828 with 573 stolen bases. It was mind boggling and if course Charley Finley traded him to the Yankees. Because that is what Oakland has always done, develop great players then trade them to the Yankees. 

I never realized until fairly recent times he had some pop, too. Like a 2000 erstad leadoff hitter, with more speed.

I think he gets forgotten because hes not a 500 HR guy. But like Blarg is saying, just an absolute weapon every AB, and every time he reached base.

@Angelsjunky made a post recently about how SBs are a thing of the past. Would love to see another Henderson type.

Betts is about as close to 2012 trout i can think of right now

Trout is a perfect 3 hitter. I just liked the leadoff version more

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Unfortunately, I don't think you will see that Trout ever again.  Just look at him and his workout regimine.  He's moving more towards a Bonds/McGwire physique than a Henderson.  He's building his game for power and hard contact, not speed.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Unfortunately, I don't think you will see that Trout ever again.  Just look at him and his workout regimine.  He's moving more towards a Bonds/McGwire physique than a Henderson.  He's building his game for power and hard contact, not speed.

Yep. The sleek 20 year old is gone. Was fun while it lasted

Would be nice to see him swipe 20 bags though. But i wonder if he stays away from that now to avoid injury?