• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next years SS

halonatic13

Who would you prefer the Halos sign for SS next season?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your preferred SS free agent signing in 2022

I'd kick the tires, especially on Lindor, Correa, and Story, but am happy to find a stop-gap for a couple years until Paris is ready (or possibly Jackson, but I think he'll move from SS).

I dislike Baez types of players. With no walks, he could easily turn from a .280/.850 guy to a .240/.700 guy...oh, wait, like he did from 2019-20. He'll probably bounce back, but I don't think his decline phase will be pretty, with that 4.7% to 28.4% walk to strikeout rate.

It is certainly one of the best SS free agent classes I've ever seen. I'd say Lindor is the jewel of the bunch. Story is probably the most reliably excellent, although the Coors effect is obviously in play (128 wRC+ Home, 100 away). Correa is as good as any in terms of talent and upside, but has struggled staying healthy and when he was last year he was mediocre. Baez is the most volatile in terms of potential collapse. I agree that the Dodgers will almost certainly lock Seager up. Semien is in a lower class due to age and having only one elite year.

So in order of long-term desirability: Lindor, Seager, Correa, Story, Baez, Semien.

I'd go with none of the above. With Paris, Vera, and Jackson in the system, whoever they bring in, only needs to here for probably 2-3 years. All those options you listed will require longer contracts that are out of the Angels price range. 

Iglesias has hit .288 and .373 the last two years and is a good defender at shortstop. If he's solid in 2021, sign him to a 2 year extension. 

Otherwise, the Angels have done internal candidates that everyone is overlooking.

First, Franklin Barreto is a former top 50 prospect and is only 25. He's entering his physical prime and I wouldn't rule out a breakout performance from him in 2021. Luis Rengifo had been good at every single stop in the minors since the Angels acquired him. Last year was a lost year, and he's likely to tear it up in AAA in 2021. He's got the OBP and wheels to dream on me and is only 24. He's going to be a starting infielder in the majors in 2022 and beyond. If it isn't with the Angels then it'll be elsewhere. And Robel Garcia has power, youth and talent in his corner. We'll see if he can put it together. 

So my answer is to fill the position internally. 

23 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'd go with none of the above. With Paris, Vera, and Jackson in the system, whoever they bring in, only needs to here for probably 2-3 years. All those options you listed will require longer contracts that are out of the Angels price range. 

Iglesias has hit .288 and .373 the last two years and is a good defender at shortstop. If he's solid in 2021, sign him to a 2 year extension. 

Otherwise, the Angels have done internal candidates that everyone is overlooking.

First, Franklin Barreto is a former top 50 prospect and is only 25. He's entering his physical prime and I wouldn't rule out a breakout performance from him in 2021. Luis Rengifo had been good at every single stop in the minors since the Angels acquired him. Last year was a lost year, and he's likely to tear it up in AAA in 2021. He's got the OBP and wheels to dream on me and is only 24. He's going to be a starting infielder in the majors in 2022 and beyond. If it isn't with the Angels then it'll be elsewhere. And Robel Garcia has power, youth and talent in his corner. We'll see if he can put it together. 

So my answer is to fill the position internally. 

11 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

... get a frontline SP

100% -- bad roster management spending HUGE long-term dollars to a FA SS next year.  It's not what we need.  If anything, spend that money on SP/RP.