• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020 MLB Trade Deadline Hot Stove Thread

mmc

On 8/18/2020 at 5:17 PM, mymerlincat said:

What makes you think we could get an Archer like package for him after only 5 starts since we gave up the much more inferior package to acquire him in the first place?  Archer was at least a 2 time All-Star before he was traded.

Whether it's the Angels or some other team.   If I'm a GM of ANY team in this league I'm not trading for anyone having a breakout season during this Frankenstein season.   There are too many quality established hitters absolutely sucking ass.   There are too many guys pitching all their games in pitchers parks or .vs subpar offenses because of the travel restrictions.   If ever there was a season not to base anything on in season stats it's this year.

If they like a guy for spin, or underlying data from past seasons fine.  But there are too many abnormalities this season to gloss over the numbers.

39 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

What makes you think we could get an Archer like package for him after only 5 starts since we gave up the much more inferior package to acquire him in the first place?  Archer was at least a 2 time All-Star before he was traded.

The need for pitching, espically since there might not be enough seller? 
Maybe a team take's a chance.

Braves, Mets, Padres, Phillies, Brewers.

I;m not saying that we'll get a package of that kind, but it won't hurt to get an idea of his value. Maybe he pitches at this level up to the tradedeadline and team is willing to give a good package...it could or could not happen. 

I’m not trading any of our young guys for older guys. We have enough big contracts on this team. People on the major league roster are available. No one from our farm. It’s about getting younger and continuing to build for the future. Goodwin LaStella Fletcher Simmons Upton etc can be had for the right price. Even some of the starting pitchers or relievers over the age of 28. 

22 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I’m not trading any of our young guys for older guys. We have enough big contracts on this team. People on the major league roster are available. No one from our farm. It’s about getting younger and continuing to build for the future. Goodwin LaStella Fletcher Simmons Upton etc can be had for the right price. Even some of the starting pitchers or relievers over the age of 28. 

No

6 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

No

I agree, and I would definitely keep Goodwin as well.  I know there’s benn a lot of errors but there is potential for a superior defensive club.  La Salle will get traded if they plan to extend Simba.  Robles also.  The offense in a regular season would be kicking butt.

Pitching....

Looks like a solid low-cost reliever market might be starting to develop, I'd like to see the Angels grab 2-3 of the following players:

Brandon Workman

Mychal Givens

Miguel Castro

Anthony Bass

Tony Watson

Keone Kela

Ken Giles

Brandon Kintzler

Greg Holland

Ian Kennedy

Trevor Rosenthal

Gregory Soto

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I don’t think I would trade for a single player that is a rental.  No reason to give up any assets for this year.  

I can't imagine anybody will....you give up a good prospect for a rental and then the virus spikes just as the playoffs are starting in October?  Crazy to do that....I could see trading a player with multiple years of control for a prospect or trading two controllable players, almost like an old fashion trade, before free agency, control of players and money became so important ....or even a bad contract for a bad contract (Upton for a pitcher owed a lot of money)....otherwise, hard to see the usual rental player deals...

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I don’t think I would trade for a single player that is a rental.  No reason to give up any assets for this year.  

For SPs I would agree with you but in terms of low cost relievers, I wouldn't mind as I'm not sure the price would really be all that high.

2 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

For SPs I would agree with you but in terms of low cost relievers, I wouldn't mind as I'm not sure the price would really be all that high.

But trades for rental relievers this year when the team hasn’t earned being upgraded would be foolish especially when all trades consummated have to be for players in the 60 player pool.  

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

But trades for rental relievers this year when the team hasn’t earned being upgraded would be foolish especially when all trades consummated have to be for players in the 60 player pool.  

You’re both right. 

Rental relievers should be exceptionally cheap this year because you’re only going to get a dozen or so innings from them, maybe double that with a deep playoff run. As such, they’ll be cheeeeap. 

Buying teams will only need to have open pool space to add prospects to trade, and the Angels could do that easily enough. With looming cuts to minors, it’s not hard to see guys like Orlando Martínez, Leo Rivas, or Oliver Ortega being squeezed, to the point where flipping one or two for a reliever - if the Angels get back into it - probably wouldn’t hurt them in the grand scheme. 

This is Such a Frustrating team. At this point if the price is right, I'm willing to trade the piece that can be traded. But personally and if possible this is what i would do. 

Like i said, and many disagreed. which i agreed with and still don't know if it's possible. 

I would put Bundy on the Market and see if a team is stupid enough to trade atleast an Top 100 Propects ( ofers, that close to the Mlb).

Than i would throw as mush as possible to Clevland for Clev and Plesac 

If we can trade Bundy for a Top propects 

Goodwin/La Stella/ the top propsect/ Key 

Goodwin is enjoying a solid, after having a breakout year. Close to an all-start year. he's controlled for 2 more years, and we know how Clevland his poor. 

La-stella He's going to be a rental, bui could be a big bat in that Line-up, also playing at an All-star level. ok, him and Goody might be our biggest trade chips so trade them if the value is there, than try to resign La Stella next free agency 

than Middleton since Clevlands like there hard throwing Bp arms. 

If we can't trade Bundy....... Might be time to trade Marsh...

Well i'm exterme tired, so this just might be bs to you guys....but i tried. 

Goodwin, Marsh, Detmers (ptbnl) and Rengifo for Clevinger. Boom, Angels get their ace and become the instant favorites to land his bff Bauer in the offseason. 

I know no one wants to give up that much but the reality is, it’s gonna cost a haul like that to land a top of the rotation arm like Clevinger. 

6 hours ago, SoWhat said:

Goodwin, Marsh, Detmers (ptbnl) and Rengifo for Clevinger. Boom, Angels get their ace and become the instant favorites to land his bff Bauer in the offseason. 

I know no one wants to give up that much but the reality is, it’s gonna cost a haul like that to land a top of the rotation arm like Clevinger. 

Then you don’t get Clevinger.  It just isn’t worth it. 

I think I’d rather try and buy low on someone like Steven Matz, Matt Boyd, Joey Lucchesi or Vince Velasquez, or see if Robbie Ray could be had for a song and see if he can be turned around. 

Overpaying for Clevinger or Plesac seems like it would bite us. 

4 minutes ago, Fourts said:

We should be planning to build around our young SPs like Detmer (& Chris Rodriguez...hopefully), not trading them away.  This team is not 1-2 players away from contending.  

You’re right -  and they also shouldn’t shy away from trying to improve still. Rodriguez is probably a huge stretch to count on in any stretch still, but even someone like Detmers likely won’t step in and immediately produce. League average would be a best case scenario this year, next year, maybe even 2022. It took Weaver a couple years. Canning is still learning, as is Sandoval. That could be 2 more years waiting on youth to develop into big league impact. 

That doesn’t mean trade them all away - but keeping them doesn’t always work out either. 

It’s the same story for the Angels - they need pitching. Now and in times ahead. Parting with the promise of someone like Canning for some guaranteed, controlled (for future still) production now and including an outfielder should be able to land someone to help stabilize the rotation. Let Callaway put some work on someone he sees. Find another Bundy.