• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you have preferred we went full rebuild once Eppler was hired?

mmc

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well I always go back to what you said a GMs job is with an owner like Arte.  Bad signings didn’t happen under Stoneman because Arte trusted him and convinced him not to.  That is what Dipoto and Eppler’s should have done.  

Stoneman signed Gary Matthews Jr. Someone should have told either one of them that wasn't advisable based on one lucky catch. 

46 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Just look at this thread, people are excusing Eppler's horrible signings for the sole reason that Dipoto's happened to be more crippling.

Yeah, it's like excusing the stewards for only putting women and children in the lifeboats because the Titanic is sinking. I mean, really, they should have been able to bucket brigade the ship afloat until help arrived.

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Steve Finley too.  He didn't get C.F. right until Torii.

Ive mentioned it 1000 times before.

Carlos Beltran should have been an angel. They tried to trade for him when he was w KC. He fit the total Sosh mold. Would have been a great compliment to Vlad. Perfect fit.

But he wanted 105 over 7 years.

We said no. And it was understandable.... Vlad was pricey for the time. Plus colon. GAs contract. Etc etc.

But we gave finley 14 mill over 2 years. When that sucked, we gave GMJ 50 mill over 5 years, overlapping finleys contract.

A year later, we gave Torii 90 mill over 6(?).

So, instead of beltran for 105 mill from 2005 to 2011, we had finley, gmj and torii for 154 mill from 2005 to 2013.

Sigh.

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

He isn't using Dipoto as an excuse to Eppler's mistakes. He is referring to Dipoto as a rebuttal to you saying Eppler gets more excuses than any GM in the league. I was part of the message board when Dipoto was GM and trust me when I say Dipoto was untouchable around here when it came to criticism, a lot more than Eppler.

Until Eppler quit in the middle of the season most people thought Dipshito was awesome.   

People turned on him when he quit weeks before the trade deadline while the team was still in the playoff hunt. 

In hindsight one of the biggest mistakes this team made was not tearing it down and restarting after 2009. Lackey, Figgins, Vlad were all leaving and in hindsight that was the perfect opportunity to pack it in and start gaining assets. They should have sold Napoli for futures instead of making the disastrous Wells move. Oh well

14 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

In hindsight one of the biggest mistakes this team made was not tearing it down and restarting after 2009. Lackey, Figgins, Vlad were all leaving and in hindsight that was the perfect opportunity to pack it in and start gaining assets. They should have sold Napoli for futures instead of making the disastrous Wells move. Oh well

to think that they'd pack it in after a trip to the ALCS is just nuts.  they had napoli, hunter, abreu and added Matsui (even though they should have kept Vlad).  They had a young core of Kendrick, Aybar, Trumbo, Bourjos, Morales on the way back, and wood on the way.  Plus a pitching staff of peak Weaver, Santana, Haren.  

No chance they break up that team.  

I really wanted the Angels to deal Richards and Calhoun that first offseason, as I think both could have brought back some decent prospects or MLB-ready players to help reset the MLB team while maintaining a competitive status, but they didn’t really have enough to do a full rebuild short of dealing Trout.

Eppler took the right approach. He had some misses as any GM would but I think the processes that led him to those decisions were sound. 

We really just got fucked by injuries. If even half of the injuries we sustained didn’t happen, this team would have made the playoffs once or twice already in his tenure, no doubt.

19 hours ago, Dochalo said:

to think that they'd pack it in after a trip to the ALCS is just nuts.  they had napoli, hunter, abreu and added Matsui (even though they should have kept Vlad).  They had a young core of Kendrick, Aybar, Trumbo, Bourjos, Morales on the way back, and wood on the way.  Plus a pitching staff of peak Weaver, Santana, Haren.  

No chance they break up that team.  

I agree. With hindsight being 20/20 though (which of course it isn't), that's what should have been done,

On 3/3/2020 at 8:44 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ive mentioned it 1000 times before.

Carlos Beltran should have been an angel. They tried to trade for him when he was w KC. He fit the total Sosh mold. Would have been a great compliment to Vlad. Perfect fit.

But he wanted 105 over 7 years.

Hi playoff performance that year was depressing.  Before that, I *knew* he was coming to the Angels - I felt like he wanted to play here,  he was just a perfect fit, and playing for KC, I felt he was actually a bit underrated.  

Then he got traded to Houston and went nuts in the post-season and suddenly *everyone* wanted him.  And my feeling that he wanted to play for the Angels?  Probably wishful thinking - throughout his career, he's shown he really wanted to play in NY (I mean, he chose the Mets - no one chooses to play for the Mets.) 

So, I'm not sure we could've ever really had him.

But damn, imagine what our next 5 years might've looked like with him and Vlad in our outfield - another ring or two was in reach ...

I tell myself "yeah, but we wouldn't have been able to draft Trout if we'd signed Beltran..."