• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Jo Adell and sign Nicholas Castellanos if.....

Chuck

This is so tricky. I love everything about Adell. He’s everything baseball wants to be. He’s cool, flashy and a 5 tool player. He would be the perfect companion piece to Trout. He could potentially make our team more relevant with younger generations as I predict Adell will be the most well known name in baseball to the general public.

This is all speculation of course but my anticipation for Adell is at an all time high. Just thinking of him in the middle of our order with Trout, Rendon and Ohtani gives me a hard on.

We don't know how good Adell is going to be, but odds are good he's not Brandon Wood. 

Let's say his career is as solid as GA or Salmon. What is that worth? 

Pitching is unpredictable. Pitchers seem to be a higher injury risk too.

Trade Marsh? Ok. Adell is a no on trades for me.

In theory, yes I would trade Adell.  Tyler Glasnow is a beast, although he was injured last year but believe recovered.  4 years until he hits free agency buys you a few years to develop Rodriguez, Soriano, Koch and others and gives you an ace-type anchor for the staff along with Shohei.  Glasnow, Shohei, Heaney, Canning, Bundy, Teheran is a solid 6 man rotation with a mixture of Sandoval, Barria, Suarez as depth.  You could always put Glasnow on the market in 2 seasons if some of our guys have developed and get some return on prospects.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Correct.  He can play some first base, some DH and some RF or LF.

you say that, but he can really only play some DH. he's god awful in the field. he's so bad defensively that he negates a great deal of his offense by his defensive runs allowed.

he can legitimately only DH on any significant basis.

this is a fantastic representation of why i hate this offseason so much. it's got all of you guys willing to let the top of the farm system out the door when we could have just signed a motherfucking starting pitcher and kept our prospects. that's the whole reason why i said from the beginning of the offseason i wanted to see eppler be very aggressive and lock down one of the stronger FA pitchers, so as to avoid this exact bridesmaid scenario. it was seemingly bungled from the jump.

The problem with that philosophy is that signing the best pitcher who is also the greatest need isn't always even possible.  Sometimes, that player we seek won't come no matter what.  Also, I'd rather pay in a prospect (especially when the player in return is in a value-contract) when there is the option rather than putting so much risk into a free agent pitcher who will only sign under ridiculous terms (i.e. going far and above with $$ and years) and hamstringing our budget for years to come.  

In regards to prospects, Mike Trout is literally the only prospect that we've ever had that I would've had an issue trading, and that is with hindsight to consider.  We've never groomed a HOF'er.  We've bought a few.  And, we've had several players with good careers that we drafted (Salmon, GA, Erstad, Weav).  But none exemplary where you go "What the f*ck did we do" 10 years later.  Someone might come up with a name I've forgotten, but minor league players are rarely major league superstuds.

9 minutes ago, HaloMilliVanilli said:

The problem with that philosophy is that signing the best pitcher who is also the greatest need isn't always even possible.  Sometimes, that player we seek won't come no matter what.  Also, I'd rather pay in a prospect (especially when the player in return is in a value-contract) when there is the option rather than putting so much risk into a free agent pitcher who will only sign under ridiculous terms (i.e. going far and above with $$ and years) and hamstringing our budget for years to come.  

In regards to prospects, Mike Trout is literally the only prospect that we've ever had that I would've had an issue trading, and that is with hindsight to consider.  We've never groomed a HOF'er.  We've bought a few.  And, we've had several players with good careers that we drafted (Salmon, GA, Erstad, Weav).  But none exemplary where you go "What the f*ck did we do" 10 years later.  Someone might come up with a name I've forgotten, but minor league players are rarely major league superstuds.

here's a question. which hamstrings a team more a FA contract or a depleted farm system?

this idea that FA's kill a team is bunk. albert pujols, of possibly the worst FA contract of all time, isn't what's killed this team. it's the worst ever farm system. that's what's kept pujols hitting in the middle of the order, much less a reduced role.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Correct.  He can play some first base, some DH and some RF or LF.

The next time he plays 1B will be the first time he plays 1B ever including the minors.   Dude is Trumbo level bad defensively pretty much anywhere he plays.

Corey Dickerson sports a career 121 OPS+ bats lefty, and actually won a GG in his career -- yeah, he's 30 to Castellanos being 27 but he also went for a lot less than is being talked about with Castellanos.

If they were going to add a bat first OFer, Dickerson made a shit ton more sense.

14 minutes ago, ukyah said:

here's a question. which hamstrings a team more a FA contract or a depleted farm system?

this idea that FA's kill a team is bunk. albert pujols, of possibly the worst FA contract of all time, isn't what's killed this team. it's the worst ever farm system. that's what's kept pujols hitting in the middle of the order, much less a reduced role.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.  I think you can get to F*cked-ville either way.  My reply is only in regards to trading 2-3 years of service time (?6 years of Adell) for someone with the immense pitching upside of Glasnow (4 years of control).  And, I wasn't really commenting on the Castellenos part of the discussion because I don't believe he fits.

17 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

FTR, to the armchair experts who feel Castellanos’ defense is beyond help:

https://www.mlb.com/news/nicholas-castellanos-improving-outfield

And I think his shortcomings aren’t quite as severe when you consider how supreme our defense is at CF, 2B, SS, and 3B. 

As to the concerns about him playing 1B...they are valid since he hasn’t played there. But, I imagine the Angels, Maddon, and Castellanos himself can gauge his ability there in advance. And with the 2020 club constructed the way it is, he doesn’t need to jump right in and play 1B everyday. They can ease him in.

You only trade a top 3 prospect in all of MLB for something you cant get any other way that is an obvious, unquestionable, home run that has a ton of control.   Not someone that could be that, not someone you could get thru FA.  
In short, if were talking Adell there are only a handful of guys i trade him for and i dont thing the teams would make the deal.  I would probably for Buehler for example, but it has to be that level, or not, pass.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And I think his shortcomings aren’t quite as severe when you consider how supreme our defense is at CF, 2B, SS, and 3B. 

As to the concerns about him playing 1B...they are valid since he hasn’t played there. But, I imagine the Angels, Maddon, and Castellanos himself can gauge his ability there in advance. And with the 2020 club constructed the way it is, he doesn’t need to jump right in and play 1B everyday. They can ease him in.

He’s a FA, they’d be up front with him about 1B if they’re serious about bringing him in. 

I don’t see them signing him as a part time corner outfielder only.