• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Question about Rendon

beatlesrule

4 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Has it been confirmed that the Angels offered him the most years and most money?

If not, what teams offered more money?  Did he want to play for the Angels in particular or was there any reason given? If I watch his press conference will all my questions be answered?

48 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Why does it matter. He signed with the Angels and he’s an Angel for the next 7 years. 

Yes it does. If the location and weather and everything else good about Socal and Trout, Ohtani and Simmons aren't important to most FA, the Angels will just have to outbid all other teams.

12 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Yes it does. If the location and weather and everything else good about Socal and Trout, Ohtani and Simmons aren't important to most FA, the Angels will just have to outbid all other teams.

You know outbidding is how most people/businesses win things. We have no idea what people are offered. Wheeler could have been offered a million dollars more to play for the Phillies. We don't really know that stuff is very ever released. Even the "journalists" reporting stuff are only reporting what people in the organization want you to know. At the end of the day we got Rendon be happy about it. 

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

Yeah, same here. It is odd. You can essentially do the same things in both areas and they are maybe an hour apart. Kobe lives in Newport but played in LA. A lot of players live in either area and play in either area. SoCal as a whole seems to be a different animal and pretty similar. I think when he made that comment it reminded me of everyone that has never been to LA but has that perception from a place like Houston, where he is from.

I think it has less to do with exactly where he would live and more to do with the franchise itself. Playing for the Dodgers and playing for the Angels are two different things. Maybe he just felt there would be more pressure on him and less anonymity playing for the Dodgers. More of the "celebrity" treatment, which obviously isn't preferable for a lot of players (particularly those with a family). Whether that is a reality or just his perception, I'm not sure. He's supposed to be a pretty low key guy.

26 minutes ago, RBM said:

If the Dodgers offered Rendon more money than the Angels he would be looking at places in the Palisades instead of Newport. 
It’s all LA, you make it what you want it to be. 

Considering he explicitly said they weren’t interested in the Dodgers, I doubt it. Maybe you’d be all about the money in his place. Not every player is. 

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

He was. Let’s not kid ourselves. We landed Rendon because Arte made an ego pivot and gave him more than anyone else would have. Boras knows when to say yes. 
And if you really know LA, you know the coastal communities share the same lifestyle. His comments about “LA lifestyle” were rather naive.

Why do you think Ryu is in Toronto? It’s not because of the school system or the public works. It’s the money dude. 

You have no idea if this is true. 

7 minutes ago, RBM said:

He was. Let’s not kid ourselves. We landed Rendon because Arte made an ego pivot and gave him more than anyone else would have. Boras knows when to say yes. 
And if you really know LA, you know the coastal communities share the same lifestyle. His comments about “LA lifestyle” were rather naive.

Why do you think Ryu is in Toronto? It’s not because of the school system or the public works. It’s the money dude. 

All you’re telling me is what you’re like, not Rendon. You’re telling me all you care about is money and that you believe everyone is just like you. Wheeler, for instance, turned down a lot of extra money to go to Philly instead of Chicago. There’s other players who made similar decisions just this offseason. I’m sorry that doesn’t fit your narrative, but life’s like that.

You can think Rendon is all about the money, but given he explicitly said he made the decision based on the fit as much as money and that the Dodgers weren’t a team he was interested in, but you’re basing it on your own head canon. There is nothing rooted in fact to back that up. 

56 minutes ago, RBM said:

I didn’t say Rendon is all about the money. From everything I’ve read about him I dig him. He’s an atypical superstar. Grounded, guarded around the press, great teammate.
What I said is he’s with the Angels because they offered him money. How much money did he turn down from the Dodgers? The answer is Zero. They did not offer him a contract. He didn’t say he wasn’t interested in the Dodgers. Go back and listen. His answer about LA in his press conference was awkward and probably regrettable. The Angels market to LA. The Angels are LA. Orange County is LA. Arte changed the team name for the right reasons. 

The lack of an offer was because they were under the impression Rendon wasn’t interested. Rendon was explicitly asked about that, he said that was accurate. He said the issue wasn’t the team per se, but the culture of the city. 

5 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

The lack of an offer was because they were under the impression Rendon wasn’t interested. Rendon was explicitly asked about that, he said that was accurate. He said the issue wasn’t the team per se, but the culture of the city. 

So if the Dodgers offered him 260 million he would say no and take 245 from the Angels?

1 minute ago, RBM said:

That's the point. It was an awkward, uninformed answer.

The culture of what city?

The LA Dodgers city or the LA Angels city. 

It's the same city dude.

Wow. That’s just...no. 

2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

So if the Dodgers offered him 260 million he would say no and take 245 from the Angels?

You’d have to ask him, but that’s what he indicated. 

1 minute ago, RBM said:

No, I know it to be true. I was born and raised in Orange County but I am from Los Angeles. When we raid tripped to Tommy's on Beverly and Rampart on a Friday night in HS we didn't think we were going to another city. We were from Los Angeles.

I live in the South Bay now but I am from Los Angeles.

I live equidistant from Dodger Stadium and the Big A but I am from Los Angeles.

My kids go to school with kids who wear both LA Angels caps and LA Dodger caps but they are all from Los Angeles.

in all of that the only OC things/place you mentioned were the stadium and hats. 

Astro teammates like Reddick stated that he is going to play on the west coast somewhere. Many here were also convinced he would come to the Angels because he was born in Newport Beach. Rendon was heavily rumored to be going to Texas because he was born there.  Cole got offered the most money to play for the Yankees and he grew up rooting for them. Rendon was not an Angels fan and so far, no other team has stated they offered him more money to play for them than the Angels. That makes me think the Angels did in fact offer him the most money and years so Rendon signed with them. Yes, Wheeler was offered more(not sure how much more) to play in Chicago and he said no. Most FA out there though just went to the highest bidder so that's why I am curious how much more the Angels had to offer him to get it done.

Again, to me, the geography and weather and playing with Trout and Simmons and Ohtani would be reason enough to play on the Angels but most players out there couldn't care less about any of that and just want the most money possible.

38 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Again, to me, the geography and weather and playing with Trout and Simmons and Ohtani would be reason enough to play on the Angels but most players out there couldn't care less about any of that and just want the most money possible.

I wanna ask about this last part just cause I’m curious. Why would that be reason enough playing with Trout Simmons Ohtani? It’s not like it’s an actual team sport. The only guy he’d really be playing with is Simmons at short but it’s not like he’d ever really be playing with him. How often does a third baseman throw to the short stop? Baseball is a unique team sport where your on the same team but you really don’t play together like the other “major” sports like football, basketball and hockey. I don’t know I just don’t understand that thinking. I get it with say a receiver wanting to play with this or that quarterback. Or LeBron wanting to play with AD but not so much in baseball. Maybe you can elaborate? 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

I wanna ask about this last part just cause I’m curious. Why would that be reason enough playing with Trout Simmons Ohtani? It’s not like it’s an actual team sport. The only guy he’d really be playing with is Simmons at short but it’s not like he’d ever really be playing with him. How often does a third baseman throw to the short stop? Baseball is a unique team sport where your on the same team but you really don’t play together like the other “major” sports like football, basketball and hockey. I don’t know I just don’t understand that thinking. I get it with say a receiver wanting to play with this or that quarterback. Or LeBron wanting to play with AD but not so much in baseball. Maybe you can elaborate? 

They're on the same team working towards the same goal. You don't have to literally interact with a teammate on the field during a play to feel a connection with them. 

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

they're in the same lineup. 

7 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

They're on the same team working towards the same goal. You don't have to literally interact with a teammate on the field during a play to feel a connection with them. 

I get they’re on the same team. But baseball is unique in that they aren’t really playing together like other sports. So I wouldn’t think joining a team to play with this guy or that guy would make you better. Like with the other sports. If I’m a receiver I’d want to play with this quarterback cause I’ll be a better receiver catch more passes etc. if I’m on the basketball court with LeBron I’ll have an easier time scoring and won’t get double teamed etc. what is the benefit of playing with Trout other than watching him mash constantly or watching Simmons play defense? You’re not really “playing” together just getting to watch it up close in personal more?