• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why Can't Any Pitching Metrics Pin Julio Teheran Down?

rafibomb

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yes. All that xBA and xwOBA stuff. They grade pitchers on quality of contact allowed. He’s been a little better than average the last few years. 

One thing to note is the statcast expected stats are not predictive. Tom Tango admits as much, but here's a baseball prospectus article for those interested.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/40026/prospectus-feature-siren-song-statcasts-expected-metrics/

30 minutes ago, Lou said:

I guess we should have picked up Calhoun's option then, seeing how we've signed free agents since buying out his option. 

Not his exact position.

If we signed a RF for a 1 year 20 million contract would that not suggest we weren't that high on Calhoun?

I'm simply pointing out Braves saw something they didn't like in him. They left him off the play-off roster,  paid him to go away rather than pick up his reasonable option, and then signed a 35  year old SP to replace him for more money. 

Looking at his stats its hard to see what's not to like. I'm looking for insight. 

10 hours ago, ettin said:

Part of his success is the poor contact he creates off the bat. Go look at his batting average against and his BABIP numbers they tell a lot of the story. His pitches simply come off opposing bats in an abnormal manner, leading to less hits/poor contact.

Also I just saw this on FanGraphs: https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/gonzalez-teheran-babip-masters/

They point to the fact that he mixes up his pitches really well (balanced pitch use with five different pitches) which may be leading to part of his success in consistently beating his FIP. Really that can lead to what I suggested above about the poor contact as hitters are guessing so much on what pitch is coming next, it likely messes just enough of their timing that when they do make contact it is not quite at the angle of attack they hoped for creating a ball in play that does not go quite where they intended it to when they swung at it.

As a #5 starter who can eat up innings I am good with this signing.