• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taking on Money in trade...

floplag

Chicago: Darvish, Lester and Quintana

Boston: Sale and Price

Cleveland: Kluber

New York: Happ

San Francisco: Samardzija

Colorado: Marquez

Colorado doesn't appear inclined to sell SP right now. Samardzija doesn't move the needle as much as he's more of a Dylan Bundy type that they can get 180+ innings and a 4-ish ERA from. Happ may have one bounces season left in him, but Eppler would be effing filleted by his own fans if he allowed Cole to sign with NY then bailed them out by taking on Happ. Kluber is a legitimate option, but last year, despite the age and mileage, Cleveland was still demanding something insane like three top 100 prospects from San Diego. If the Angels want him, the Indians may want Brandon Marsh and Jordyn Adams, to which you have to hang up the phone right there.

The Sox won't sell Sale this close to the ill-fated extension because his value is low. Quintana doesn't clear the type of payroll Chicago is looking to shed. And the team is looking to compete in 2020, and won't be trading Darvish, even if we want them to.

So basically, that leaves David Price and Jon Lester. Price is owed 96 million over the next three years, still has mid rotation ability on the mound, but comes with medical concerns. Lester is owed 45 million across the next two years, has recorded three consecutive seasons with a FIP over 4.00, but doesn't appear to be breaking down at all. So it's a solid bet you'll get #4 level production from him.

Not a single one of these is a good trade idea. But unless Eppler is willing to spend on Ryu, this is where they're at.

But then again, I'm so desperate for a winner, I'd probably be ok with it if Billy managed to get Sale and Darvish. Those two ahead of Ohtani.....if healthy..... Would be absolutely dominant.

Then again, he'd probably have given up something insane for them, which would make me hate him all over again.

Edited by Second Base

51 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I suspect I’ll be an outlier here but I still like Wil Myers OK and if eating his contract gets us a pitcher then that would be good.  He’s 29, a guy with a nice tool kit.  He’s had injuries and issues but he may well yet finally put it all together.

the rich teams in baseball have successfully done this in the past.  If we’re actually getting value this is a decent way to get talent.  If we’re getting goddamn David Price, for the sake of getting David Price.  It’s stupid as fu*ck. 

I don't think the Padres want to damage their major league roster to off load Myers so I don't really see them as a great partner in trade.  

plus, I agree.  you are an outlier 😉

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

It could be getting a pitcher we want while taking on a bad contract from that team.  So it could be picking up Myers along with a really good young starter.

Is there someone you think might be available / worth it in exchange for taking on Myers contract (which is pretty ugly).

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

Is there someone you think might be available / worth it in exchange for taking on Myers contract (which is pretty ugly).

You’d have to ask the guys that salivate over their young pitching depth.  I am not as familiar with it as guys like Scotty are.

7 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

there is.  but they want to compete.  It would have to be a guy at AA/AAA and a bit of the sheen on their pitching prospects has worn off a bit.  

51 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You’d have to ask the guys that salivate over their young pitching depth.  I am not as familiar with it as guys like Scotty are.

@AngelsLakersFan I'll put it like this. Will Wilson, a first round pick, was considered to be a worthwhile cost for both sides at 13 million. Will Myers is owed 67.5 million. Or more appropriately, 22.5 million per year. It would take a prospect package worth several Will Wilsons to make it worth it.

Luis Patino perhaps. He's got ace written all over him. So if the Angels can him, then yeah, I suppose I'd take on Myers. Push him over to 1B and platoon OF.