• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dodgers Interested in Francisco Lindor - Should the Angels look into this?

ettin

2 hours ago, ettin said:

It is a priority in the sense of "What do we do after Simmons leaves?". When you look out into the market for good defensive SS's that can hit for at least average League wRC+, the island is pretty bare except for Simmons and Lindor in the near future. Correa is not a good defensive SS and neither are the others floating out there when you compare them to Simmons (God) and Lindor (pretty good).

So to me this is either "extend Simmons" (which I am perfectly happy with by the way) or acquire a SS of the future in Lindor (assuming you think you can extend him which the Indians are not going to be able to do).

In the end it is a major strategic priority that needs to be addressed this off-season in my opinion.

I'm more confident about in-house solutions in the infield--including shortstop. I think Rengifo and Fletcher can fill that role: both either already or will be at least average defenders at short and hitters. Jeremiah Jackson is still 3 years away, and Kyren Paris 4-5, but that's two prospects with potential in the pike. 

Obviously the position can be upgraded, and maybe a Simmons extension is the right thing to do (assuming he bounces back). But given that the Angels aren't a team with unlimited resources--financially and in terms of the farm--then they need to be very picky on who they spend resources on. Lindor is great, but he's also at a position that the Angels have some depth.

Obviously if you can land a player like Lindor, you do it. But considering the competition, he'll be hard to acquire. My admittedly first blush at a trade was woefully weak, which Doc rightfully called me on - mostly because I wasn't considering competition, but also overly focusing on Lindor's mere two years of club control. But premium players are premium players.

While I don't have a connection in the Indians front office, just it taking with someone that does work in major league baseball, the feeling is the Indians are going to shop Kluber again this winter, and are looking for young starting pitchers that can impact the rotation in 2021.

They obviously like Clevinger and Bieber, and will deploy Civale more aggressively in 2020. But the consensus is that Plutko and Plesac are more depth pieces, similar to how another team would view Jaime Barria and Jose Suarez pre-2019 shitshow.

That obviously doesn't align with what the Angels can offer right now, but if they're willing to deal Marsh, and take his remaining salary, the Angels could land Kluber.

Risky proposition though, given that Kluber is coming off injury and has a lot of miles on that arm. Plus, as I said in another thread, I would never forgive Billy if he traded away Brandon Marsh. He and Adell are brothers and you don't break up a bond like that. The last time the team pulled that was when they let go of Trout's mentor Torii Hunter, and replaced him with Josh Hamilton.

25 minutes ago, Second Base said:

While I don't have a connection in the Indians front office, just it taking with someone that does work in major league baseball, the feeling is the Indians are going to shop Kluber again this winter, and are looking for young starting pitchers that can impact the rotation in 2021.

They obviously like Clevinger and Bieber, and will deploy Civale more aggressively in 2020. But the consensus is that Plutko and Plesac are more depth pieces, similar to how another team would view Jaime Barria and Jose Suarez pre-2019 shitshow.

That obviously doesn't align with what the Angels can offer right now, but if they're willing to deal Marsh, and take his remaining salary, the Angels could land Kluber.

Risky proposition though, given that Kluber is coming off injury and has a lot of miles on that arm. Plus, as I said in another thread, I would never forgive Billy if he traded away Brandon Marsh. He and Adell are brothers and you don't break up a bond like that. The last time the team pulled that was when they let go of Trout's mentor Torii Hunter, and replaced him with Josh Hamilton.

Technically only Adell is a brother.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Remember the Trumbo for Kluber "rumors" floating around here?

I think that was back after the 2013 season. Since then:

Kluber: 31 fWAR, two Cy Young Awards

Trumbo: 1.5 fWAR, but an HR title!

I remember being completely opposed to that trade.  Kluber was entering his age 28 season and just came off his first full year.  

I do remember not feeling like Trumbo had a ton of value and was actually very pleased with the Santiago/Skaggs trade.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I remember being completely opposed to that trade.  Kluber was entering his age 28 season and just came off his first full year.  

I do remember not feeling like Trumbo had a ton of value and was actually very pleased with the Santiago/Skaggs trade.  

Kluber's in the deGrom category: a good pitcher that surprisingly became great in his late 20s (if he hadn't been injured, Garret Richards might have fit this category). For some reason he remains a bit underrated, but has actually been one of the true #1s over the last half decade:

fWAR leaders among pitchers, 2014-18:

1. Scherzer 31.7

2. Kershaw 30.5

3. Kluber 30.3

4. Sale 29.7

5. deGrom 24.5

Edited by Angelsjunky