• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels considering Mike Butcher for pitching coach

mmc

34 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

but is he a good communicator?  

This!

All I know is Corbin, Greinke and others didn't get worse after Butcher came on board with the Diamondbacks. 

One could argue, they got better... and in Greinke's case with lower velo, he got a lot better. 

Honestly, as long as Butcher doesn't teach a dog new tricks I'm good and I think the Angels will be fine. 

One thing that I noticed in White is he never seemed to calm our pitchers down when he had to go to the mound and instead, felt like he was jamming into their heads "REMEMBER THE GRAPHS, CHARTS, VIDEO AND SPINS I TAUGHT YOU PREVIOUSLY, COME ON, LET'S GET IT DONE". While Butcher and Black had a more calming presence on the mound to settle our guys down when shit was starting to hit the fan. 

34 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

This!

All I know is Corbin, Greinke and others didn't get worse after Butcher came on board with the Diamondbacks. 

One could argue, they got better... and in Greinke's case with lower velo, he got a lot better. 

Honestly, as long as Butcher doesn't teach a dog new tricks I'm good and I think the Angels will be fine. 

One thing that I noticed in White is he never seemed to calm our pitchers down when he had to go to the mound and instead, felt like he was jamming into their heads "REMEMBER THE GRAPHS, CHARTS, VIDEO AND SPINS I TAUGHT YOU PREVIOUSLY, COME ON, LET'S GET IT DONE". While Butcher and Black had a more calming presence on the mound to settle our guys down when shit was starting to hit the fan. 

or he went out there and spouted to mumbo jumbo about getting more swerve out of your swank and they pitcher was shaking his head up and down while thinking 'WTF is he talking about?'

That's probably a bit unfair to White actually to be honest.  It didn't seem like he did much to help and while I would expect some mild improvements for various individuals with a new voice around, but the majority of struggles were a combo of a lack of experience or talent or both.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

or he went out there and spouted to mumbo jumbo about getting more swerve out of your swank and they pitcher was shaking his head up and down while thinking 'WTF is he talking about?'

That's probably a bit unfair to White actually to be honest.  It didn't seem like he did much to help and while I would expect some mild improvements for various individuals with a new voice around, but the majority of struggles were a combo of a lack of experience or talent or both.  

True, but even you said many times and I concurred that our pitchers got significantly worse in 2019 than the previous year when we had Charles Nagy who I forgot to mention, another with a calming presence on the mound. 

Also, all of our former pitching coaches actually pitched in the big leagues. 

I also wonder if our staff of pitchers had deaf ears to White's mumbo jumbo because they didn't respect him because he didn't pitch an inning in the big leagues. 

I think Butcher was ok when he was here.  He did get into a verbal cussing match with Josh Donaldson.  Also, I think he leaned heavily towards Sosh in the Sosh vs. Dipoto face off.  In the end I think he was just a scapegoat.  Sosh got another chance to stay on, with a refreshed coaching staff.  Most of the coaches had to go, with all the losing.

I'd be ok with any of Callaway, Searage, Hickey, Butcher, etc.

Time for a Butch Hatch job?

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

True, but even you said many times and I concurred that our pitchers got significantly worse in 2019 than the previous year when we had Charles Nagy who I forgot to mention, another with a calming presence on the mound. 

Also, all of our former pitching coaches actually pitched in the big leagues. 

I also wonder if our staff of pitchers had deaf ears to White's mumbo jumbo because they didn't respect him because he didn't pitch an inning in the big leagues. 

I think he just talked over their heads and they were left to their own devices.  At least most of them.  Even if it's not a guy with major league experience, they all have to be speaking the same language.  I was not impressed with the way it all played out.  Frankly, both Ausmus and Paul were former catchers and should have been able to translate so I think part of the issue went beyond White's lack of communication.  I didn't like pitch sequencing or even that they seemed to abandon certain things that might work better for certain guys.  It almost felt a bit cookie cutter if you will.  That's not just on the pitching coach but speaks to the philosophy.  

I also got the sense (from my own probably BS anecdotal observations) that the 30,000 foot view was the primary focus where as the in game or between start minor mechanical adjustments that we've seen guys make just wasn't happening.  

At the end of the day, White got fired which means they didn't think he was doing his job well so that tells us all we need to know.  

I find it hard to believe Butcher would be coming back. He was the first guy gone when Eppler signed on. I seem to remember rumors that it wasn't Eppler's move, but someone above him that didn't want Butcher back. If, for instance, it was Arte who didn't like Butch, I don't see how that has changed a few years down the road.

Dunno where Mike Di got the rumor from, but this just seems strange and difficult to believe.

3 minutes ago, TurbosLady9493 said:

Wasn't Butcher one of the first people let go by Billy? Or was that Hatcher? My point is if hes been fired Im pretty sure that ship has sailed. I don't see any of Scoiscia guys coming back

Butcher was Maddon's pitching coach before he left Tampa to go to the Cubs. He's familiar with him and likes him. 

9 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

I find it hard to believe Butcher would be coming back. He was the first guy gone when Eppler signed on. I seem to remember rumors that it wasn't Eppler's move, but someone above him that didn't want Butcher back. If, for instance, it was Arte who didn't like Butch, I don't see how that has changed a few years down the road.

Dunno where Mike Di got the rumor from, but this just seems strange and difficult to believe.

That’s not what happened. 

21 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think he just talked over their heads and they were left to their own devices.  At least most of them.  Even if it's not a guy with major league experience, they all have to be speaking the same language.  I was not impressed with the way it all played out.  Frankly, both Ausmus and Paul were former catchers and should have been able to translate so I think part of the issue went beyond White's lack of communication.  I didn't like pitch sequencing or even that they seemed to abandon certain things that might work better for certain guys.  It almost felt a bit cookie cutter if you will.  That's not just on the pitching coach but speaks to the philosophy.  

I also got the sense (from my own probably BS anecdotal observations) that the 30,000 foot view was the primary focus where as the in game or between start minor mechanical adjustments that we've seen guys make just wasn't happening.  

At the end of the day, White got fired which means they didn't think he was doing his job well so that tells us all we need to know.  

White needed a translator....  He should have been an assistant and not the primary pitching coach.

22 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The many hits on 0-2 counts, is what bugged me the most.