• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Trade Simmons Crowd

Stradling

Amazing how one year can shift perception so much. A year ago Simmons was coming off his second straight 5 WAR season; from 2017-18 his 10.4 WAR was 13th best in the majors. There was even the sense that he might hit even better, as his wRC+ had improved every year from 2014-18, if only incrementally. At that point a contract extension looked more like 4-5 years, $18-20M a year.

After an off-year, largely due to injuries, there's some question as to whether the Angels will even offer him a contract. 2020 is a huge year for Simmons, both as an Angel and in terms of his next pay-check. If he bounces back to 2017-18 form, he'll get a big pay-day, maybe something like 4/$75M or 5/$90M. If he settles more around 3 WAR (2015-16), its going to be more like 3/$45M. If he struggles again, he's the type of player that might accept a qualifying offer and try to bounceback (again).

Either way, I hope he bounces back as he's been a terrific player.

31 minutes ago, Lou said:

Rengifo's defense sucks ass 

it doesn't.  you remember the inconsistency where he makes a stupid mistake but he gets to a lot more than most players and has a good arm.  

I personally don't think he's ready to be an everyday major league SS but he's already a good defender and he'll get better as he gets more time at the major league level.  Plus, the more time he gets at one position, the better he'll get.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

it doesn't.  you remember the inconsistency where he makes a stupid mistake but he gets to a lot more than most players and has a good arm.  

I personally don't think he's ready to be an everyday major league SS but he's already a good defender and he'll get better as he gets more time at the major league level.  Plus, the more time he gets at one position, the better he'll get.  

Wait, are we talking about Rengifo or Aybar?

Seriously, though, what you said could apply perfectly to Aybar. He'd look rather briliant one moment, a total fool the next. If we remind ourselves that Rengifo was 22 last year, there's a good chance that the kinks in his game will be smoothed out. He strikes me as a player who will be more than the sum of his parts. I could see him developing into a .280/.370/.450  hitter with average or better defense at 2B or 3B.

I don't understand why you'd want to trade or let walk one of the greatest defensive SS of all time. He's only 30 and in an injury plagued down year, he still produced a 2.1 bWar. Low for a SS sure, but he wasn't healthy.  I would love to see him extended. Next year will be big for him but isn't it pretty much big for every player in a contract year?

Just now, beatlesrule said:

I don't understand why you'd want to trade or let walk one of the greatest defensive SS of all time. He's only 30 and in an injury plagued down year, he still produced a 2.1 bWar. Low for a SS sure, but he wasn't healthy.  I would love to see him extended. Next year will be big for him but isn't it pretty much big for every player in a contract year?

easy.

they're dumbasses 

12 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Wait, are we talking about Rengifo or Aybar?

Seriously, though, what you said could apply perfectly to Aybar. He'd look rather briliant one moment, a total fool the next. If we remind ourselves that Rengifo was 22 last year, there's a good chance that the kinks in his game will be smoothed out. He strikes me as a player who will be more than the sum of his parts. I could see him developing into a .280/.370/.450  hitter with average or better defense at 2B or 3B.

You read my mind.

11 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Who exactly is in this “trade Simmons” crowd that everyone is arguing with?

I think the time has arrived for Arte to start printing money.  The Angels have gone as far as they can with fill-ins and stop-gap players.  There is enough talent on the field to make a playoff run; just add pitching.  I think Arte will spend.  If he goes cheap, I will throw a fit, and break shit, and scream, and pound my feet. 

Edited by eligrba

On 10/12/2019 at 6:07 PM, Lou said:

Rengifo's defense sucks ass 

Huh?

On 10/12/2019 at 6:43 PM, Dochalo said:

Yeah what he said ^^