• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Dave Roberts is fired, should we be worried of the Dodgers signing Joe Maddon?

rafibomb

13 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I’m more worried the Dodgers will have their sights set on Gerrit Cole. 

yep. we need to be realistic about the fact that several other teams are going to go after him. signing him isn't going to be a *simple task.

* until he and I hit the salad bar like a boss at souplantation.

The way Cole pitches, you wonder how long his arm holds out. Or is able to sustain his velocity over time. A real workhorse. It's a real risk thinking long term contract at record breaking prices.

You have  examples like Nolan Ryan, Walter Johnson, Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale or Bob Feller, and other power pitchers who kept up the quality and durability for years throughout history, but It is a small percentage overall. 

Right now Cole has a fantastic rhythm in his outings. Real distinctive variations in his four pitches. A high 90s heater, 10 - 12 MPH difference between slider and fastball, a wicked sharp breaking curve and a useful changeup. Plus excellent control and sequencing. At the top of his game.

But, can he sustain close to this standard? And if so, for how long? Look at Kershaw, who has seen his velocity drop every year and has had to revamp his approach in his early thirties. 

We have seen the Angels burned many times with mega money long term contracts that don't deliver expected results. 

If the Angels were a year or two away from being a championship threat then going all in at any cost would be a reasonable gamble. But if Cole's in decline (or injury affected)  say in three or four years when the Angels hopefully are contending then It may possibly be another Pujols kind of situation. Not likely that dramatic , barring catastrophic injury or decline, but not the value for money they will be paying. 

Cole's peak years are now and the near future. Beyond that it's a risk. His best bet for winning and justifying his salary is right now,  when he's at his best and will be supported by with an already loaded team. 

52 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

The way Cole pitches, you wonder how long his arm holds out. Or is able to sustain his velocity over time. A real workhorse. It's a real risk thinking long term contract at record breaking prices.

You have  examples like Nolan Ryan, Walter Johnson, Bob Gibson, Don Drysdale or Bob Feller, and other power pitchers who kept up the quality and durability for years throughout history, but It is a small percentage overall. 

Right now Cole has a fantastic rhythm in his outings. Real distinctive variations in his four pitches. A high 90s heater, 10 - 12 MPH difference between slider and fastball, a wicked sharp breaking curve and a useful changeup. Plus excellent control and sequencing. At the top of his game.

But, can he sustain close to this standard? And if so, for how long? Look at Kershaw, who has seen his velocity drop every year and has had to revamp his approach in his early thirties. 

We have seen the Angels burned many times with mega money long term contracts that don't deliver expected results. 

If the Angels were a year or two away from being a championship threat then going all in at any cost would be a reasonable gamble. But if Cole's in decline (or injury affected)  say in three or four years when the Angels hopefully are contending then It may possibly be another Pujols kind of situation. Not likely that dramatic , barring catastrophic injury or decline, but not the value for money they will be paying. 

Cole's peak years are now and the near future. Beyond that it's a risk. His best bet for winning and justifying his salary is right now,  when he's at his best and will be supported by with an already loaded team. 

Thats a legit take. 

But i think barring catastrophe (which would be right in line with our luck), i think youre looking at another 3 years of likely dominance, then maybe 2 plus of maybe 2013 jered weaver effectiveness.

If say we give him 7 years, the above happens, the last 2 years suck and hes making a zillion dollars.... meh... shoulder shrug. I think its worth it

29 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thats a legit take. 

But i think barring catastrophe (which would be right in line with our luck), i think youre looking at another 3 years of likely dominance, then maybe 2 plus of maybe 2013 jered weaver effectiveness.

If say we give him 7 years, the above happens, the last 2 years suck and hes making a zillion dollars.... meh... shoulder shrug. I think its worth it

Hopefully by that point the farm is fully stocked from not making stupid decisions or we're ready for a rebuild anyway from trying to extend our window of contention. In either case, the last couple of years shouldn't be relevant. The real question is, is he likely to be worth the contract in the first 3-4 years (and hopefully up to 5)?

• 2 years later...