• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brandon Marsh first over Jo Adell?

Chuck

Is it possible that Brandon Marsh, based on his defense, OBP, speed and raw power could pass Jo Adell on the depth chart? 

Keep in mind, I'm not saying Marsh passes Adell on the prospect lists, just depth charts. 

I know Adell got a taste of AAA and Marsh didn't due to injuries, but while Adell may ooze more tools and has more pop, Marsh has been more consistent this season -- which includes the AFL. 

Marsh has a 1.026 OPS through 3 games,  (3:3 walks/strikeouts) while Jo Adell has struck out 8 times and is 1-19 with one measly single through 4 games. 

Let's dig a little deeper. 

Marsh played in 96 games this season in what is a tough league and ballpark on hitters and he held his own slashing .300/.383/.428 with 7 HR ,18 SB. Marsh struck out 92 times and walked 47 times. 

Adell played in just 76 games this season, across three leagues (High-A, Double-A and AAA) and slashed .289/.359/.475 with 10 HR and  7 SB. Adell struck out 94 times and walked 30 times. 

I know that Adell played 27 games in Triple-A so it would appear he's ahead right now on the Angels RF depth chart, but who knows what will happen if Adell continues to slump in the AFL and Marsh rakes and that success pours into ST. Marsh could leapfrog Adell on the depth chart and claim the starting RF gig.

While this scenario is unlikely, it's something that could happen if Marsh continues to rake because he has 70-grade arm and defense in the outfield. Worst that could happen? We have Calhoun-lite out there in 2020 while Adell continues to develop. 

Personally, I'd like both Adell and Marsh in the corners with Mike Trout sooner than later. Justin Upton is looking more and more like a DH out there and who knows if he can even stay healthy to roam the outfield anymore. Also, the more I watch Goodwin the more it's apparent he's not a full-time guy over a 162-game season. He's a fine 4th outfielder though that can play all three positions and provide a decent bat off the bench. 

Thoughts on the Marsh over Adell on the Angels outfield depth chart?

Yeah possibly. 

The more I think about it the more I think Calhoun will be back next year. Adell was supposed to take the RF position by the balls and he didn't. That doesn't mean he's a bust or won't be a great player, it just means he's not quite ready yet. 

As good as Goodwin has been this year, he's really just riding an extremely hot start and a .338 BABIP. He's had 3 great months and 3 terrible months (.480 OPS in September). I don't know if I like the idea of him being penciled into RF next year. A platoon with Herm sounds like a solid idea, but is it a better option than Kole? I don't know.

As for Marsh, I think he's taken a huge step forward and we're going to see him crack some top 50 lists in 2020. He's not the prospect Adell is, but I believe he has a much higher floor. I don't think he will be on the team to start the year but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a call-up before Adell.

Marsh is 21, Adell 20. To compare a guy in AA playing with guys only a year over his level to a guy in AAA playing against guys 2 years older seems unbalanced. 

It would seem the age difference is catching up with Adell while Marsh is playing closer to his peers level. Next year there could be a larger separation between the two players as Marsh meets pitching talent above his age level while Adell revists pitching he has already seen, albeit still above his age.

I would say that Adell is still fast tracked to play in Anaheim next season, even if it isn't to start the year. Marsh has a higher bar for credibility to hurdle to make it first.

47 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah possibly. 

The more I think about it the more I think Calhoun will be back next year. Adell was supposed to take the RF position by the balls and he didn't. That doesn't mean he's a bust or won't be a great player, it just means he's not quite ready yet. 

As good as Goodwin has been this year, he's really just riding an extremely hot start and a .338 BABIP. He's had 3 great months and 3 terrible months (.480 OPS in September). I don't know if I like the idea of him being penciled into RF next year. A platoon with Herm sounds like a solid idea, but is it a better option than Kole? I don't know.

As for Marsh, I think he's taken a huge step forward and we're going to see him crack some top 50 lists in 2020. He's not the prospect Adell is, but I believe he has a much higher floor. I don't think he will be on the team to start the year but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a call-up before Adell.

If Calhoun only cost likely 5mil, possibly. But as it is, we need pitching. With 14mil, I can’t see any way they bring Kole back, and if they do, it’d be a mistake unless and only if Arte expands payroll for 2020 with the express wish that the money is designated for Kole. That won’t happen. They just don’t have money for position players unless it’s a catcher. That’s a fact. 

They could decline his option and try to bring him back for 5mil, but I don’t see why he’d take that. With his reputation for defense and HR totals (in Anaheim, no less), I don’t think he settles for that. 

2 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

If Calhoun only cost likely 5mil, possibly. But as it is, we need pitching. With 14mil, I can’t see any way they bring Kole back, and if they do, it’d be a mistake unless and only if Arte expands payroll for 2020 with the express wish that the money is designated for Kole. That won’t happen. They just don’t have money for position players unless it’s a catcher. That’s a fact. 

They could decline his option and try to bring him back for 5mil, but I don’t see why he’d take that. With his reputation for defense and HR totals (in Anaheim, no less), I don’t think he settles for that. 

Oh they almost certainly won't be picking up his option. But if they can bring him back on a good deal I think they do it.

I think given how high the Angels are on Adell that it doesn’t happen. Even right now with Adell having a tough time in the AZL. I think the Angels are thinking “just get your work in and we’ll see you and Goodwin in Spring Training.” 

They know Adell will be good. I’d hate to see Marsh traded. Would be an incredible outfield trio 

It seems to take Adell a few weeks to settle into a new place. He struggled out of the gates in AA and AAA before settling in and doing what he does.

This is what makes Adell special and speaks volumes to his mental make up. 

It’ll be the same thing when he gets a shot in the Majors. You’ll all freak out and scream bust but hopefully Eppler finally does something right and let’s Adell work through it. Once Adell takes his bumps at the ML level I’m guessing he’ll be more than fine

10 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

image.png

Here's hoping he's turned on the go switch and kills it the rest of the way out. 

I hope the next thread I create is "Marsh and Adell on the corners to start the 2020 season?"

I would love nothing more than to have Upton as the DH/1B and occasional LF.