• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels claim Kean Wong

mmc

Ask yourself if you'd rather take a shot at Keon or keep Cowart around.  Or, of course, there's Baldoquin.  

He was TB's 27th ranked prospect on fangraphs with a 40 grade.  Therefore he also slots into our top 30 pretty easily.  

After Jones, we don't have a MIF prospect in our top 30 above A ball until you get to Leon Rivas.  

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

He's been very good at under the radar moves, wouldn't be surprised if this is another good one....it's the bigger moves (Cozart, Valbuena, Allen, Harvey, Cahill, Espinosa) that have been the problem....

Some of the consistencies with Eppler's moves have been:

1) won't cost a draft pick (so he wasn't signing anyone who rejected a QA)

2) no expensive, long-term vets (wouldn't make sense since you are trying to rebuild for the next year or two)

3) no trading of legit prospect depth

These constraints will limit your options. 

Cozart three year deal with no QA/draft implications, and capable of playing defense 3B, SS, and 2B so, at the time, it made sense in terms of depth and flexibility and I'm sure it was rationalized that, even if he went back to his pre-2017 offensive numbers, he was still a 2 WAR player that could provide value in other ways.  Obviously, a torn labrum in the shoulder can impact you season.

Valbuena was a two year deal, no QA, and, again, could play multiple positions (3B, 1B, 2B) putting up close to a 2.5 WAR with HOU.

Allen, Harvey, Cahill, and Espinosa were all one year deals with no draft picks attached.

As for big moves, I'd call the Simmons for Newcomb deal big. Upton for a minor league pitcher that retired was solid as well.  

Now, we are entering a period where Eppler has to make the big moves you are describing - signing big money, long-term free agents and trading for SP from his prospect currency - so I think we'll get to see what he's capable of, good or bad.  

17 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Ask yourself if you'd rather take a shot at Keon or keep Cowart around.  Or, of course, there's Baldoquin.  

He was TB's 27th ranked prospect on fangraphs with a 40 grade.  Therefore he also slots into our top 30 pretty easily.  

After Jones, we don't have a MIF prospect in our top 30 above A ball until you get to Leon Rivas.  

Yep, building up that prospect talent "floor" along with adding a player with options. 

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

Some of the consistencies with Eppler's moves have been:

1) won't cost a draft pick (so he wasn't signing anyone who rejected a QA)

2) no expensive, long-term vets (wouldn't make sense since you are trying to rebuild for the next year or two)

3) no trading of legit prospect depth

These constraints will limit your options. 

Cozart three year deal with no QA/draft implications, and capable of playing defense 3B, SS, and 2B so, at the time, it made sense in terms of depth and flexibility and I'm sure it was rationalized that, even if he went back to his pre-2017 offensive numbers, he was still a 2 WAR player that could provide value in other ways.  Obviously, a torn labrum in the shoulder can impact you season.

Valbuena was a two year deal, no QA, and, again, could play multiple positions (3B, 1B, 2B) putting up close to a 2.5 WAR with HOU.

Allen, Harvey, Cahill, and Espinosa were all one year deals with no draft picks attached.

As for big moves, I'd call the Simmons for Newcomb deal big. Upton for a minor league pitcher that retired was solid as well.  

Now, we are entering a period where Eppler has to make the big moves you are describing - signing big money, long-term free agents and trading for SP from his prospect currency - so I think we'll get to see what he's capable of, good or bad.  

i think pretty much any GM can look good if they're given the financial flexibility to sign someone like Cole.  Yes, he had to put the team in position to be able to have that option.  

Where he's gonna really make his money is on the next guy and the guy after that.  Especially if he decides that he doesn't need a 'guy after that'.  If the second and third down from Cole end up failing, that's a huge problem.  So to me, it's all about the move that lands Odorizzi or Wheeler or if he makes a trade for someone else.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

i think pretty much any GM can look good if they're given the financial flexibility to sign someone like Cole.  Yes, he had to put the team in position to be able to have that option.  

Where he's gonna really make his money is on the next guy and the guy after that.  Especially if he decides that he doesn't need a 'guy after that'.  If the second and third down from Cole end up failing, that's a huge problem.  So to me, it's all about the move that lands Odorizzi or Wheeler or if he makes a trade for someone else.  

I think Eppler, at this point, has accepted the fact that he's likely to lose 2nd round pick next season by signing a SP who has rejected a QA, whether that be Cole, Odorizzi, Wheeler or a combination of two of those three.  Either way, this season (obviously, with Arte's approval) he's all in so my guess is two signed SPs and one SP acquired through trade.  These moves will be his legacy since 2016-2019 has been about laying the groundwork for this moment - if it blows up and the team hangs around .500 next season, he's likely not around for 2021 no matter how robust the farm will be.

26 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

As for big moves, I'd call the Simmons for Newcomb deal big. Upton for a minor league pitcher that retired was solid as well....

Upton was a good move for minimal cost....but is he going to be good value for a long term deal?  Don't know...you have to give him a pass this year, hope he rebounds and gives you multiple "normal" Upton years...

8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Upton was a good move for minimal cost....but is he going to be good value for a long term deal?  Don't know...you have to give him a pass this year, hope he rebounds and gives you multiple "normal" Upton years...

Yep...unfortunately, that's the risk you run with every long term deal.  We were celebrating the Pujols deal in 2012 when it happened and it was was sour by year 2 with 8 years left.  We could be singing a similar tune with Trout if he starts significantly declining in mid-30's.  You look at the market and your need and you know that signing Cole is absolutely the right move...but what if he tears his labrum in year 3 of a 7 year deal.  Look at the Red Sox and their deals with Price and Sale.  This is the cost of playing with the big boys.

I know there's some debate as to whether he, or anyone should be changing their swing to fit more of a lift profile, but I've watched enough of him on youtube to know he's a strong ground ball hitter, but I have reason to believe Wong could turn into something special in Anaheim.

Why?

Left handed, strong core and a fast bat.  Angel Stadium, since lowering the HR boundary in RF has played up for lefty power hitters.  That combined with the new ball has conspired to make previously decent hitters with minimal pop like Tommy La Stella, into all-stars.  I see a lot of that in Kean Wong.  As evidence of what I just said, consider this video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RveMvRB0DKk

On first glance he doesn't have a spot on next year's major league roster, but he does free Eppler to consider using any of Fletcher, La Stella, Rengifo or even Simmons in a trade -- all of whom have value. In AAA he played every single position at least once except for C and 1B, so has some utility value. If the Angels trade one of their infielders, he could slot in as the UT. At the very least, they stash him in AAA until someone gets hurt.

37 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

On first glance he doesn't have a spot on next year's major league roster, but he does free Eppler to consider using any of Fletcher, La Stella, Rengifo or even Simmons in a trade -- all of whom have value. In AAA he played every single position at least once except for C and 1B, so has some utility value. If the Angels trade one of their infielders, he could slot in as the UT. At the very least, they stash him in AAA until someone gets hurt.

they've got 44 guys on the 40 man with Cozart, Rengifo, Canning and Pena on the 60.  

They have to get the 40 set by late november prior to the R5 draft so anyone on the 60d IL must come off and if they stay, they count toward the limits.  

As I see it, Cowart, Bour, Cahill, Del Pozo, Mejia, Rodriguez, Garcia, Bemboom, and Trop are candidates to come off.  That's nine.  Plus there is Noe, who is out of options but still likely a cheap pre-arb option, Cozart who is still owed a fair amount (almost 13m) for next year as well as Wong, Jewell, and Taylor Cole.  

So with 9 fairly obvious spots that leaves them with 5 openings.  

Jones is probably the only guy they protect although it depends on timing of how quickly they move on free agents in protecting Rojas.  If it's just Jones then they still have four spots.  Even if they keep Wong, Cozart, Jewell, and Cole.  

I would guess that they'd keep Wong over adding Rojas if it comes to that but you never know.  

Looks like Wong is going to get a few more at bats before season's end. He filled in at 2nd last night when Goodwin tweaked his back on an awkward slide. Fletch moved over to left and made some very good ranging plays that slammed the door on the Astros a couple times last night.