• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How is this possible?

mmc

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

Uh, we suck? The catchers do share some of the blame for the wild pitches. How much I don’t know. Lucroy was terrible this year and Kevan Smith is pretty bad also. For example, the first WP Sandoval threw was clearly a passed ball by Kevan Smith scored as a WP. 

A lot of it is on the catchers.  Smith is terrible at blocking and Lucroy was the worst in baseball.  Garneau was avg.  

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

He had more than half as many wild pitches against than Robinson Chirinos in about one-third of the innings with Houston. He seemed unremarkable last year, as well.

I don't see the Astros on the list among the top 15 worst, so they must have had less than half what the Angels have anyway. 

So it reads like not a single person here believes Stassi can bring the value he brought in 2018?  That season was a fluke?  Doesn’t it make sense to acquire a guy one year removed from a 2.6 WAR who has 3 years of control when the acquisition cost is low and his compensation is low?  He’s also replacing guys like Lucroy or Garneau, who really aren’t very good to begin with.  

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So it reads like not a single person here believes Stassi can bring the value he brought in 2018?  That season was a fluke?  Doesn’t it make sense to acquire a guy one year removed from a 2.6 WAR who has 3 years of control when the acquisition cost is low and his compensation is low?  He’s also replacing guys like Lucroy or Garneau, who really aren’t very good to begin with.  

...or 1.0 WAR if you look at Baseball-Reference, as I've noted elsewhere.  And I'll again ask why, if he's so valuable, did the Astros twice make moves to trade for another "defense-first" catcher to replace him? (Side note: I still don't care about him one way or the other...I just think anyone expecting any sort of real contribution from him is probably going to be disappointed)

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This is a relevant question here I guess.  People who know this stuff better than me usually tells us that Baseball reference over values defense. So why does fangraphs value Stassi more than BR?

BR has Houston's other catcher, Robinson Chirinos, at 2.6 WAR this year, while he's at 1.2 on Fangraphs.  BR has him at 1.1 defensive WAR, FG has him as a negative value defensively. 

image.png.168c9e78c15425c0a2827afbb3850759.png

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This is a relevant question here I guess.  People who know this stuff better than me usually tells us that Baseball reference over values defense. So why does fangraphs value Stassi more than BR?

I believe fangraphs recently introduced pitch framing to its catcher WAR evaluation. BR doesn’t include framing. Which is a huge difference.