• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Innings Pitched

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Are you still upset that Corbin spurned your Yankees?  

Everyone knew going into this offseason that Corbin was going back east.  So it wasn’t just kind of outbidding the Nats you had to really outbid them to get him to stay out west.  

I call BS on that. Arte made Trout the priority and the Eppler had to stay within a budget to fill in gaps with what was left to spend. I do think that Eppler will focus on pitching but it won’t be about signing Cole. I think he’s going to try to fill two SP spots for the same amount of money that Cole will cost. 

Edited by Calzone 2

7 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

I call BS on that. Arte made Trout the priority and the Eppler had to stay within a budget to fill in gaps with what was left to spend. I do think that Eppler will focus on pitching but it won’t be about signing Cole. I think he’s going to try to fill two SP spots for the same amount of money that Cole will cost. 

Call BS all you want.  He was going to the East.  Also the Angels took a run at him.  

35 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

So if Arte didn’t want to outbid the Nats at 6/140M for Corbin (bargain) with the same budget what makes you think that Arte is going to shell out $200M for Cole.

So, you wanted Arte to keep bidding until he threw so much money at Corbin he couldnt resist?    Do you really think that highly of Corbin?  

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

So, you wanted Arte to keep bidding until he threw so much money at Corbin he couldnt resist?    Do you really think that highly of Corbin?  

No I’m questioning what budget Stradling thinks Arte approved. Signing Corbin would’ve ramped up the budget by $20M+ 

I seriously doubt that Arte was going to do that. 

Just now, Calzone 2 said:

No I’m questioning what budget Stradling thinks Arte approved. Signing Corbin would’ve ramped up the budget by $20M+ 

Cool, and yet the angels made a run at him, before signing Harvey or Cahill.  Corbin was one of the first to sign.  

35 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

None of us has any clue.   The only thing reported is they made their pitch.  Normally if a team throws out a punk offer the press talks about it. 

My guess is the Angels were told they didn't have a chance and it never even got to where they attempted to negotiate in earnest.  IMO, the Trout situation hung over the team like a dark cloud and free agents kept their distance, I mean who would commit long term to a team that hadn't been winning with Trout when there was a possibility he might bolt?

Trout is signed, the supporting cast is better, Ohtani is a legit second star player.... hopefully this is the year they hit free agent gold.  I don't think anything the Angels have done in recent off-seasons will carry any weight this coming one....  

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

None of us has any clue.   The only thing reported is they made their pitch.  Normally if a team throws out a punk offer the press talks about it. 

My guess is the Angels were told they didn't have a chance and it never even got to where they attempted to negotiate in earnest.  IMO, the Trout situation hung over the team like a dark cloud and free agents kept their distance, I mean who would commit long term to a team that hadn't been winning with Trout when there was a possibility he might bolt?

Trout is signed, the supporting cast is better, Ohtani is a legit second star player.... hopefully this is the year they hit free agent gold.  I don't think anything the Angels have done in recent off-seasons will carry any weight this coming one....  

Makes perfect sense. Thank you

16 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

So if Arte didn’t want to outbid the Nats at 6/140M for Corbin (bargain) with the same budget what makes you think that Arte is going to shell out $200M for Cole.

1. Corbin didn’t want to pitch for the Angels, because he’s an East Coast guy. Cole grew up in OC and still lives here.

2. Cole is better than Corbin IMO.

3. Cole helps you and hurts the Astros, a double-win.

4. And this is the biggest one of all: 2020 is different than 2019. As I’ve written on here many times, and as Eppler has said directly, player acquisition is not just about how good a player is and what he costs, but about the condition of the rest of the team, at the time.

The Angels were 22 games behind the Astros in 2018 and they had so many holes last winter that plugging one of them with a star would not have closed the gap enough. The more other holes you can fill with young, cheap players, the more money you have to for one great one, as opposed several not-so-great ones.

Also, the more young talent you have just reaching the majors, the closer you are to opening the winning window, which is when you want to get the most from your big FA’s. You don’t want to be paying a guy $20M a year to take you from 78 to 83 wins, only to see him declining at the point when your young guys have lifted you to 86. Remember, big FA’s are at their peak, so you’re lucky if you get 3 years from them before they’re declining, overpaid drains on the payroll. You don’t want to waste any of those 3 years winning 85 games.

Fletcher, Rengifo, Adell, Canning, Suarez, Buttrey ... We know a lot more about their potential impact now than we did in November. 

50 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

1. Corbin didn’t want to pitch for the Angels, because he’s an East Coast guy. Cole grew up in OC and still lives here.

2. Cole is better than Corbin IMO.

3. Cole helps you and hurts the Astros, a double-win.

4. And this is the biggest one of all: 2020 is different than 2019. As I’ve written on here many times, and as Eppler has said directly, player acquisition is not just about how good a player is and what he costs, but about the condition of the rest of the team, at the time.

The Angels were 22 games behind the Astros in 2018 and they had so many holes last winter that plugging one of them with a star would not have closed the gap enough. The more other holes you can fill with young, cheap players, the more money you have to for one great one, as opposed several not-so-great ones.

Also, the more young talent you have just reaching the majors, the closer you are to opening the winning window, which is when you want to get the most from your big FA’s. You don’t want to be paying a guy $20M a year to take you from 78 to 83 wins, only to see him declining at the point when your young guys have lifted you to 86. Remember, big FA’s are at their peak, so you’re lucky if you get 3 years from them before they’re declining, overpaid drains on the payroll. You don’t want to waste any of those 3 years winning 85 games.

Fletcher, Rengifo, Adell, Canning, Suarez, Buttrey ... We know a lot more about their potential impact now than we did in November. 

5. Now they’ve already signed Trout.