• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Carlos Martinez? And Other New SP Trade Ideas...

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Michael Lorenzen is intriguing, being a local guy and showing hitting ability vs MLB pitching.   

The WHIP is improved over 2017-2018, and the Ks/BBs is solid (53/16).   He's a little susceptible to the HR ball, but not overly so. 

Still only 27

He'll fit right in.

54 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Agreed - though it would be interesting if Eppler was looking at him and thinking he could be as elite as Osuna, Chapman, Miller, Vasquez, Hader, Davis, etc. with the right development, especially since our relief development  has been very strong in Eppler’s time. 

It would be a steep price to pay for a high-risk asset, both in money and prospects, but if Eppler felt there was a chance he could be that dominant with an adjustment they’re confident they can make, it would be a great way to acquire that elite closer without paying top price. 

Of course, I’d prefer a SP, but we’ve often said an elite closer isn’t needed until we were playoff ready, and that could come in ‘20 if they land Cole.

It would be a good problem to have with Buttrey, Robles, Martinez all basically high-leverage guys. Good control through 2023 with Martinez.

My one major concern is his $11.5M salary. Unless St. Louis eats some of it, then it concerns me with adding flexibility to sign someone like Cole and to pay Ohtani when the time comes. Though Pujols' salary goes away so maybe it's worth it.

Martinez had multiple injuries last year that had him miss time - first a strained lat, then a strained oblique then a strained shoulder.  To start this season he missed time due to shoulder weakness and they've pitched him out of the pen.  I don't blame them for using him out of the pen but unless it's a guy the Angels really believe can and will start again I don't think he should be on their radar right now.  The Angels need to add a pitcher or two to the rotation before taking risk on a guy who may end up being an effective but expensive reliever.       

11 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

It would be a good problem to have with Buttrey, Robles, Martinez all basically high-leverage guys. Good control through 2023 with Martinez.

My one major concern is his $11.5M salary. Unless St. Louis eats some of it, then it concerns me with adding flexibility to sign someone like Cole and to pay Ohtani when the time comes. Though Pujols' salary goes away so maybe it's worth it.

I wouldn't expect this in July, but if this was revisited in winter, St. Louis could be a Kole destination, if they wind up dealing young OFs away for SP help, which is a possibility. 

He would not be the primary value in a deal, just a little extra to round out whatever prospects the Angels would have to surrender. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Michael Lorenzen is intriguing, being a local guy and showing hitting ability vs MLB pitching.   

The WHIP is improved over 2017-2018, and the Ks/BBs is solid (53/16).   He's a little susceptible to the HR ball, but not overly so. 

Still only 27

HR rate should go down when you get out of Cincy. Plus there’s the marine layer. I just don’t know how willing the Reds would be to trade him. 

27 minutes ago, RBM said:

How would that work logistically? 

It feels like an NBA sign and trade deal.

They pick up his option, then trade him? 

Just like when the Angels picked up Santana's option and dealt him to Kansas for a no-name minor league reliever.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Still only 27

This is the kind of arm I think Eppler is really going to be shopping for...guys that are relatively under-the-radar, not the height of trade talks. There will be too much focus around the popular names driving up competition and price. 

He'll look for guys who are still upgrades, and offer control, but with a little less buzz.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

This is the kind of arm I think Eppler is really going to be shopping for...guys that are relatively under-the-radar, not the height of trade talks. There will be too much focus around the popular names driving up competition and price. 

He'll look for guys who are still upgrades, and offer control, but with a little less buzz.

I could see trading for a Lorenzen for shoring up the pen long term (especially with Middleton's setback), also trading for that under the radar starter with two years club control, bringing in another Machete in the off-season, and of course making every attempt to sign Gerrit Cole in the off-season.