• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

i legit hate this ASG Trout narrative...

So far this morning ive read multiple articles talking about Trout that have basically said something to the effect that "until he gets to October, this is Trout time.  
I absolutely cannot stand this discussion or implication.  Mainly because, they are right.  
Trout is without question the best player on the planet, and due to the club being unable or unwilling to go to the next level financially he is the man of July, instead of the man of October.
We made the investment in the man, we are going to have to invest around him.  The kids are not going to be enough to put this club over the top in the coming years. 
IDK end rant i guess...

33 minutes ago, floplag said:

So far this morning ive read multiple articles talking about Trout that have basically said something to the effect that "until he gets to October, this is Trout time.  
I absolutely cannot stand this discussion or implication.  Mainly because, they are right.  
Trout is without question the best player on the planet, and due to the club being unable or unwilling to go to the next level financially he is the man of July, instead of the man of October.
We made the investment in the man, we are going to have to invest around him.  The kids are not going to be enough to put this club over the top in the coming years. 
IDK end rant i guess...

I agree that the  kids are not enough to put the club over the top.  The last time the Angels were legitimately within the World Series window, Arte paid for Pujols, Wilson and Hamilton.  We all know how those signings turned out.  I think there are many challenges ahead for the Angels financially.  Ohtani may cost just as much as Trout in the future, Adell will not be cheap if he develops into the player we all would like him to be.  I can see Arte having a team salary in the top 5 within 5 years.  I think the kids will be the deciding factor for success and not the free agents.  Based on no connections to the organization, I predict that the highest salaries on the Angels in the next 5 years will be paid mostly to homegrown players.  Arte said he wanted to be like the Yankees, his window is beginning to open and with the free agents available next year, I expect Arte to begin spending again.

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

which part, unwilling or unable?  i actually thought i would make the nay sayers happy by covering both sides there. 

It’s the part where whatever they do it will not be enough for you despite how much money he spends short of spending the most in the league.  That part.  

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

The club has invested financially, but arguably on the wrong guys.

Pujols, Wilson, Hamilton off the top of my head.

Then there are the shorter deals for failed players. Cozart, Cahill, Harvey, Allen, Burnett, Blanton, and several others whose names escape me.

Yep, which means the willingness is there and always has been.  The difference is now we aren’t seeing long term bad deals that cripple us going forward.  This past off season there was one good starter available on a multi year deal and he chose to play back east where he wanted to be.  So Eppler took a calculated risk that didn’t work but didn’t cripple us in 2020. 

14 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

Yep, which means the willingness is there and always has been.  The difference is now we aren’t seeing long term bad deals that cripple us going forward.  This past off season there was one good starter available on a multi year deal and he chose to play back east where he wanted to be.  So Eppler took a calculated risk that didn’t work but didn’t cripple us in 2020. 

Exactly, and now this off-season a local guy (Gerrit Cole) is available and the money is there to sign him.  

For so many reasons, he is the best player to make their one big FA signing for the next 6-7 years.    Ace stuff, durability, rotation needs an ace to lead the way, local guy  

Salary wise, they clear enough this off-season to sign Cole and a defensive first catcher who hits just enough.   And the dominoes fall from there...Pujols' salary clears after 2021 and leaves room to re-sign Simba with one season only over tax threshold, Upton's salary clears after 2022 and leaves room to re-sign Ohtani, etc. 

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Exactly, and now this off-season a local guy (Gerrit Cole) is available and the money is there to sign him.  

For so many reasons, he is the best player to make their one big FA signing for the next 6-7 years.    Ace stuff, durability, rotation needs an ace to lead the way, local guy  

It will come down to money.  I don’t even think we will be afraid to overpay, but the question is what does that overpay look like.  Do we want any part of a deal that looks like Greinke or David Price’s deal?  Are we ok with 7 years and $200 plus million?  

3 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

It will come down to money.  I don’t even think we will be afraid to overpay, but the question is what does that overpay look like.  Do we want any part of a deal that looks like Greinke or David Price’s deal?  Are we ok with 7 years and $200 plus million?  

That is admittedly a good question.    If it goes no higher than 5-6 years/$140-$165 million, that sounds realistic.   In today's baseball (less innings pitched), will anyone want to continue to pay out $30 million/season for 7 years for even an ace?

Cole is just 30, when starting his new contract.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

That is admittedly a good question.    If it goes no higher than 5-6 years/$140-$165 million, that sounds realistic.   In today's baseball (less innings pitched), will anyone want to continue to pay out $30 million/season for 7 years for even an ace?

We are only two players away from being contenders, Gerrit Cole and Scot Shields.  

Even with a guy like Cole, it's always a bit of a crap shoot. We might sign him and he could be a bust, or his arm could fall off. The latter is always more likely when it comes to this team.

Look at Eovaldi. We might have had him, his $68 million contract, and 14 ER in 21 innings.

5 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

We are only two players away from being contenders, Gerrit Cole and Scot Shields.  

Buttrey could potentially be Scot Shields, used anytime between the 6th and 9th innings for 1-2 innings per appearance.   Robles has become solid enough in the closer role.    Middleton's re-emergence would be huge.