• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Albert Pujols excited for first visit to St. Louis with the Angels

TORONTO — Albert Pujols is days away from a moment he’s been anticipating for years.

The Angels will open a three-game series in St. Louis on Friday, offering Pujols the first chance to play in front of the fans who cheered him for the first 11 years of a career that will send him to the Hall of Fame.

“I think it’s going to be emotional,” Pujols said Wednesday. “I don’t get too emotional, but for myself, it will be like that. When I got to St. Louis I was 21 and when I left I was 32. I got there as a baby and left as a man. You can’t ignore the success I had there, individually and team accomplishments, winning championships. It’s pretty awesome. I’m excited.”

It’s unclear exactly how the Cardinals will honor Pujols throughout the weekend series. So far all he knows is that he’s having a press conference on Friday afternoon, but he’s unsure about what sort of on-field ceremonies or presentations there might be.

He’s also tried not to think of how he’ll feel when he actually steps into the batter’s box for the first time, with longtime teammate Yadier Molina behind the plate.

“I don’t know and I don’t want to know because if you start thinking about it and it doesn’t go that way you might be a little disappointed,” Pujols said. “But I’m pretty sure it’ll be emotional. And then having Yadi behind the plate, he’s like my little brother and we had success together.”

Over 11 years with the Cardinals, Pujols hit .328 with a 1.037 OPS, averaging 40 homers a season. The Cardinals also won the World Series in 2004 and 2011 with Pujols, the latter coming in the final season before he signed a 10-year, $240 million deal with the Angels.

The Angels and Cardinals then met in interleague play in 2013 and 2016, but both times the series was in Anaheim.

Although it was widely assumed that the schedule would bring the Angels to St. Louis in 2019, Pujols said he was excited when it became official last year.

Pujols said he got “a lot of texts” from friends and family, many of whom will be using the $35,000 worth of tickets that he said he bought for this weekend.

“The best fans in baseball, no doubt,” Pujols said of the St. Louis fans. “A great atmosphere. They know the game. From young boys to 80-year-old people, they are always into the game. I think the best thing about it is players like Ken Griffey Jr. had milestones there and they were getting a standing ovation by our fans. They know baseball. They love the game. They love their team. Whether they are winning or losing, it’s going to be a packed house. It was a great atmosphere every time I took the field for 11 years and I’m pretty sure it’s going to be that way this weekend too.”

Despite the hoopla, Pujols said he plans to keep his focus on winning the games, because he wants to try to have some of the success with the Angels that he had in St. Louis.

“We’ve missed the playoffs seven out of my eight years here and hopefully we can get a good roll here and have the best player in the game play in a big spot, which is the playoffs and the World Series. And that’s (Mike Trout). Hopefully, the fans can get to do that this year.”

ALSO

The Angels traded outfielder Cesar Puello to the Miami Marlins for cash considerations. Puello had been designated for assignment to make room for Justin Upton when he was activated on Monday. …

Shortstop Andrelton Simmons, who is rehabbing from an ankle sprain, was set for a second rehab game at rookie-level Orem (Utah) on Wednesday, after which the Angels will decide whether he needs more time or can be activated. …

Trevor Cahill was sent to Salt Lake City to throw about 75 pitches in a Triple-A game on Friday night. Cahill, who is out with an elbow issue, is expected to be ready after one game, Manager Brad Ausmus said. It’s unclear in what role the Angels would use Cahill after he returns, or who he would replace on the roster. …

JC Ramírez felt good after his rehab outing on Tuesday night with Salt Lake, Ausmus said. Ramírez, who is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, is expected to use just about all 30 days of his rehab assignment, which means he would rejoin the Angels around June 29. The Angels haven’t yet decided on a role for Ramírez because “we don’t know what will happen between now and then,” Ausmus said. …

Keynan Middleton, who is also rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, has not started facing hitters, and Ausmus said he’s not sure when that will happen. …

Matt Harvey, who is out with a back injury, has resumed baseball activity, but there’s no timeline for his return, Ausmus said. …

Justin Bour, Tommy La Stella and Kevan Smith did the EdgeWalk at the top of the CN Tower. Supported by a safety rail, visitors can walk around the outside of the observation deck 116 stories above the ground. “There were a couple times when I wasn’t sure all the members participating were going to go through with it, but we all did and I’m glad we did,” Bour said.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Jose Suarez, 2-1, 4.50) at Blue Jays (LHP Clayton Richard, 0-3, 7.52), Thursday, 4:07 p.m., Fox Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article