• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Will Wilson - will report to Orem

mmc

22 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

wonder where he starts the year. I would not be surprised to see him start the year at Inland Empire with the 66ers but he will probably go to Burlington?

Thaiss started in Orem and 15 games later was bumped to Burlington to wrap the year. My guess is something similar for Wilson.

Interested in seeing if they keep trend and withhold most of the pitchers from throwing competitively this year, considering how many were taken.

Edited by totdprods

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Best-case scenario:

2019: Rookie, A (age 20)

2020: A/A+ (age 21)

2021: AA/AAA/majors (age 22)

2022: majors (age 23)

Thaiss is sort of ahead of that pace, despite being generally regarded as a disappointment or underwhelming, so Wilson could (should?) beat that. Thaiss:

2016: Orem/Burlington 

2017: Inland Empire/Mobile 

2018: Mobile/Salt Lake

2019: Salt Lake/Anaheim?

I think we will see almost the exact same path for Wilson. 

Edited by totdprods

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Thaiss is sort of ahead of that pace, despite being generally regarded as a disappointment or underwhelming, so Wilson could (should?) beat that. Thaiss:

2016: Orem/Burlington 

2017: Inland Empire/Mobile 

2018: Mobile/Salt Lake

2019: Salt Lake/Anaheim?

I think we will see almost the exact same path for Wilson. 

I suppose Wilson could start next year in A+ and get a AA promotion. I didn't think of that. Let's see how he does this year, though.

4 minutes ago, Bronson said:

They want to keep him at short. What does that mean for Simmons??? I think they should try to convert him to third base.

Simmons will hit FA before Wilson makes it to the bigs. If they re-sign Simmons, then Wilson will move. He projects better as a 2B, but no sense moving him away from SS now. Keeps his grade value higher and keeps him at that position in case Simba does go  elsewhere. 

Edited by totdprods

10 hours ago, totdprods said:

.....Thaiss is sort of ahead of that pace, despite being generally regarded as a disappointment or underwhelming, so Wilson could (should?) beat that....

I checked the SLC stats this morning and Thaiss is hitting .251.....he needs to pick it up and soon.....as a college draftee, his clock is ticking....

5 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I checked the SLC stats this morning and Thaiss is hitting .251.....he needs to pick it up and soon.....as a college draftee, his clock is ticking....

He's slashing .251/.360/.421.  Salt Lake's overall team slash is .269/.360/.471--so, yeah, not too impressive.  [Cue the folks who'll chime in to talk up how he'll perform better in the majors than the minors, etc, etc.  blah blah blah...]

15 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

He's slashing .251/.360/.421.  Salt Lake's overall team slash is .269/.360/.471--so, yeah, not too impressive.  [Cue the folks who'll chime in to talk up how he'll perform better in the majors than the minors, etc, etc.  blah blah blah...]

I don’t necessarily think he will do better in the majors...I just think he’s better than his slash indicates. Just because he’s hitting .250/.360/.420 doesn’t mean he’d be significantly worse in the bigs. I’d be fine if that was his MLB slash. 

We don’t need everyone to be a star, they just need to be better than the Bour, Valbuena, Cozart, Marte types. 

Thaiss is starting to give off some Mitch Moreland vibes, maybe with a little better OBP and less SLG. Not ideal for a starter but plays well as your bench 1B/3B guy.

He’s doubles his BB% in AAA this year...7% last year to 14.4% this year. That doesn’t happen without him making a concerted effort on his part to be more patient and draw more walks...a change in approach. That’s a sign to me that he’s working on developing and working on strengthening his overall game, not trying to put up the flashiest PCL slash. He’s also pulling the ball more than ever, and driving more HRs out on flyballs. Those trends read to me like they’re trying to incorporate some of the same tricks they’ve used with Calhoun and La Stella. They won’t always produce results right off the bat. There will be streakiness.

I’m not saying he’s on his way to becoming a star as a result, just that there’s enough going on in the data for me to not put much stock in his overall slash. 

Edited by totdprods

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I don’t necessarily think he will do better in the majors...I just think he’s better than his slash indicates. Just because he’s hitting .250/.360/.420 doesn’t mean he’d be significantly worse in the bigs. I’d be fine if that was his MLB slash. 

We don’t need everyone to be a star, they just need to be better than the Bour, Valbuena, Cozart, Marte types. 

Thaiss is starting to give off some Mitch Moreland vibes, maybe with a little better OBP and less SLG. Not ideal for a starter but plays well as your bench 1B/3B guy.

He’s doubles his BB% in AAA this year...7% last year to 14.4% this year. That doesn’t happen without him making a concerted effort on his part to be more patient and draw more walks...a change in approach. That’s a sign to me that he’s working on developing and working on strengthening his overall game, not trying to put up the flashiest PCL slash. He’s also pulling the ball more than ever, and driving more HRs out on flyballs. Those trends read to me like they’re trying to incorporate some of the same tricks they’ve used with Calhoun and La Stella. They won’t always produce results right off the bat. There will be streakiness.

I’m not saying he’s on his way to becoming a star as a result, just that there’s enough going on in the data for me to not put much stock in his overall slash. 

I think you nailed it when you said, "We don’t need everyone to be a star, they just need to be better than the Bour, Valbuena, Cozart, Marte types."

We don't need Thaiss to be a star. But if he can a platoon player or fringe regular at 1B/3B, then he'd have a Valbuena type of role on this team. 

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think you nailed it when you said, "We don’t need everyone to be a star, they just need to be better than the Bour, Valbuena, Cozart, Marte types."

We don't need Thaiss to be a star. But if he can a platoon player or fringe regular at 1B/3B, then he'd have a Valbuena type of role on this team. 

If that is what he turns out to be, that's ok....but you would certainly hope for more from a 1st round pick....there is a reason teams didn't want to give up a draft pick for Kimbrel and Keuchel ....it's a crapshoot, I know.....

36 minutes ago, Second Base said:

@totdprods Agreed. Not to mention him trying to put the ball over the fence more is what has raised his strikeouts a bit. This kid has a very good eye and is young. Still better than Bour and can compliment Pujols right now. Only a matter of time until he's ready.

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

If that is what he turns out to be, that's ok....but you would certainly hope for more from a 1st round pick....there is a reason teams didn't want to give up a draft pick for Kimbrel and Keuchel ....it's a crapshoot, I know.....

Honestly, the MLB draft is just that, such a crapshoot, that even getting an average MLB player with your 1st round pick should be considered a success.

Also, don’t forget that by getting Thaiss early, they had money to throw at Marsh, Williams, and Rodriguez. Jury is still out on Williams - he’s shown some signs of life -  but Marsh is looking like he could grow into a star, or at least a very good above-average player, and Rodriguez could be special if he stays healthy.

So, they bypassed one ‘star’ 1st round talent, but potentially spread that around with their first four picks. As thin as our farm was, it was the right move.