• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How do you explain?

Why players seem to do better when they go elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I understand why the Angels went  a different direction this past offseason in regards to Haren and Santana. I just don't understand how they seem to do better after they leave. I feel that our coaching staff is quite inferior when compared to Maddon, Black and Roenicke.

The following recent players seemed to have thrived after leaving our organization.

LaTroy Hawkins

Fernando Rodney

Mike Napoli

Dan Haren

Ervin Santana

Tyler Chatwood

Vernon Wells

Mike Napoli was good here and has basically been the same hitter for his other teams. That 2011 season with Texas was one of those fluke seasons(like Erstad's 2000 season)

Dan Haren was a very good pitcher well before he even came to Anaheim, and he is actually not pitching good this season so I don't know why you are saying he's thriving

Rodney, like Napoli, looks to have had a fluke season as he has now reverted back to the Rodney he has been for his entire career

Ervin has always been and up and down player. He's had great seasons here and he ha had god awful ones. It's not really that big of a surprise that he's doing well this year after coming off a horrendous season, that's pretty much what he's been doing from the start

I think this has more to do with the psychological nature of the game than it does with something the Angels are doing wrong.

Vernon Wells, for instance, played himself into a funk that he could never get out of. Changing scenery, a new start, and with lower expectations took the pressure off - despite playing in New York.

Rodney is inexplicable. He always had the stuff, but finally put it all together. That said, he's back to his usual ways - he's already walked more batters in 2013 than in all of 2012, which is looking like an anomaly.

Santana also always had talent but was erratic, but overall good for the Angels. Looking back on it, trading him doesn't make sense. He improved greatly late in the year and, at worse, would have been a decent starter, certainly better than Blanton.

Napoli was under the eye of Scioscia and couldn't thrive as an Angel. He had his "revenge year" in 2011 but has been back to his usually good-but-not-great self in 2012-13.

Haren isn't doing better - he's even worse overall. He seems to have declined significantly and Dipoto made the right call.

Tyler Chatwood? Three starts. The Angels rushed him - he was 21 in 2011 and mediocre at best.

Latroy Hawkins? Come now.

Why players seem to do better when they go elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I understand why the Angels went  a different direction this past offseason in regards to Haren and Santana. I just don't understand how they seem to do better after they leave. I feel that our coaching staff is quite inferior when compared to Maddon, Black and Roenicke.

The following recent players seemed to have thrived after leaving our organization.

LaTroy Hawkins

Fernando Rodney

Mike Napoli

Dan Haren

Ervin Santana

Tyler Chatwood

Vernon Wells

Figgins and Adam Kennedy both had their best years as an Angel. So did Juan Rivera and Frankie Rodriguez.

LaTroy Hawkins

Fernando Rodney

Mike Napoli

Dan Haren

Ervin Santana

Tyler Chatwood

Vernon Wells

LaTroy - Seriously?

Rodney - he's back to being Rodney, you might want to check in on his 2013

Napoli - he's the same guy he was with the Angels

Haren - is this is the Dan Haren with the 5.54 ERA or are you talking about another Dan Haren?

Santana - he's always been up and down - he had some spectacular years with the Angels

Chatwood - uhhhhhhhh

Wells - nothing explains Vernon Wells

I could see a new environment changing a players approach and helping them short term. I also think its becoming more apparent to the players on and who come to this team that Orange County and the teams fans seriously expect the players to perform, and the team to win, and I'd say that puts pressure on guys that wouldn't have it elsewhere. Apparently, some of them can't handle pressure. Those are not guys we want on this team. 

A better question is: Who on that list would you want back?

Except for maybe keeping Napoli because I liked his swing, I'd say none of them.

The list of players chosen is very selective and doesn't really represent but a small fraction of the players that have passed through the oganization.

How about Mark Teixiera? Not even the right field wind tunnel at Yankee stadium is making him come close to the numbers he put up preceeding him signing there.

If you play the game of who is better/worse/same or out of baseball you are going to find the scales pretty balanced. And that goes for every organization, not just the Angels.

How about Mark Teixiera?

Great pick of a previous player we let go, and I'm glad we did. 

Guy did NOTHING for us in terms of helping us out from July-September the year we had him. He doesn't do well during the playoffs, hell, he can't even sneak joke homers at that band box Stankee stadium. 

Reagins really avoided that headache, and I'm glad he did. 

I could see a new environment changing a players approach and helping them short term. I also think its becoming more apparent to the players on and who come to this team that Orange County and the teams fans seriously expect the players to perform, and the team to win, and I'd say that puts pressure on guys that wouldn't have it elsewhere. Apparently, some of them can't handle pressure. Those are not guys we want on this team. 

Orange County sports fans are about the most meek fans I've seen. No way is the pressure to perform in Anaheim even remotely similar to say the New York Yankees, where any season with less than a world series appearance is considered a huge failure by the fanbase. 

Great pick of a previous player we let go, and I'm glad we did. 

Guy did NOTHING for us in terms of helping us out from July-September the year we had him. He doesn't do well during the playoffs, hell, he can't even sneak joke homers at that band box Stankee stadium. 

Reagins really avoided that headache, and I'm glad he did. 

Well, that statement is wrong, Teixiera posted a .358/.449/.632/.1.081 line when he was with the Angels.

Also the Angels fought tooth and nail with Boras when they asked what he wanted, made the offer then Boras shopped it to the Yankees to outbid the Angels. Had Boras made the deal he had asked the Angels for, Teixeira would be in Anaheim instead of New York. 

Wow, my perception about Tex when he played for us was way off, so I'm gonna have to take that back. My bad. 

I guess his playoff appearances for NY kinda stained my perspective on how he played for us during 2008. His numbers from 2009-2012 in the postseason are .180, .148, .167, and .281 respectively, pretty much non-existent. So again, this is an example of a player who we let go and didn't perform better because of it. 

But as far as the players the OP listed, again, even though Naps not a consistent .300 hitter or anything, I think we would have been better off if we avoided letting him go to end up with Wells.

Would make sense to do a little research before posting..

Napoli is the same player he was with the angels

chatwood has made all of 4 starts this year and his WHIP is 1.39 with a OBAA of .281 and was horrible last year

Dan haren still sucks

Ervin Santana is good.. I'll give you that...

Vernon wells is back to being horrible after one fluke month...

can't really explain rodney