• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tommy La Stella has to be an All-Star 2B, right?

Chuck

I think he deserves it on merit without question, hes been the best 2B in the league to this point in the season, but i dont think he will get it.  WE all know the ASG ballot is a popularity contest.
Hes not going to get more votes than Altuve even in a statistically down year.
I hope i am proven wrong.

9 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I think Whit Merrifield gets the nod. They were comparable offensively work a slight advantage for La Stella. Merrifield is better defensively and did it last year, too.

Plus, who else will make it from KC? 

La Stella is noticeably better in every offensive category. I agree that KC needs a player and Angels fans don't vote as much so I doubt La Stella gets in. 

4 minutes ago, IIIII said:

La Stella is noticeably better in every offensive category. I agree that KC needs a player and Angels fans don't vote as much so I doubt La Stella gets in. 

He's definitely better offensively than Merriweather this season, but I'm not sure the consistency from year to year make the gap only a slight gap at most.

23 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I think Whit Merrifield gets the nod. They were comparable offensively work a slight advantage for La Stella. Merrifield is better defensively and did it last year, too.

Plus, who else will make it from KC? 

Merrifield plays the outfield now, so maybe he gets in because of that. 

Oddly enough, a guy I've wanted the Angels to sign the past two years and because of Cozart we passed, he tops all 2B in OPS. Most of you on here wanted to pass on Moustakas because he didn't walk enough, or that his OPS wasn't sufficient for a 3B. 

La Stella is right behind him though. 

Seriously though, Mous has 18 bombs and plays 2B and 3B like La Stella. Can you imagine an infield of Mous at 3B, Fletcher/Simmons at SS, La Stella at 2B? 

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 9.56.48 AM.png

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Oddly enough, a guy I've wanted the Angels to sign the past two years and because of Cozart we passed, he tops all 2B in OPS. Most of you on here wanted to pass on Moustakas because he didn't walk enough, or that his OPS wasn't sufficient for a 3B. 

La Stella is right behind him though. 

Seriously though, Mous has 18 bombs and plays 2B and 3B like La Stella. Can you imagine an infield of Mous at 3B, Fletcher/Simmons at SS, La Stella at 2B? 

honestly, if we had Moustakas, La Stella wouldn't be playing for us and there'd be no at bats for rengifo if there were.  The fact that we didn't get Moustakas actually opened the door for a guy like La Stella.  And now we have him on the cheap for another year.  

I doubt he gets voted in because Angel fans are very apathetic about all-star voting.  I think he still has a legitimate chance of making the squad by being selected on to it by his merits - he just won't start.

Just now, Dochalo said:

that being mentioned, Moustakas as a LHed option at 1b over Bour would look pretty nice right now.  

add upton into that mix and that's just a stupid offense.  

Yeah i'm guessing he would have seen a mix at 1B, 3B and possibly 2B. But yeah, over Bour would have been huge, especially since he didn't do jack for us.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah i'm guessing he would have seen a mix at 1B, 3B and possibly 2B. But yeah, over Bour would have been huge, especially since he didn't do jack for us.

then Grandal at C

forget a rotation.  let's just win every game 10-9.  

although I'm happy with our 2nd round pick this year.  

La Stella has everything that’s needed statistically to start in the 2019 All Star Game. He definitely deserves it. The only thing that will keep him from starting is the Angels fan support. The Skanks fans will vote. But nobody here really cares about the All Star game right? 

Edited by Calzone 2

It's a popularity contest, and you literally have to be Mike Trout or Shohei Ohtani in order to make the all-star team from the Angels.  No one from the east coast is going to vote for Tommy La Stella, David Fletcher or Ty Buttrey, and Angels fans simply don't mobilize the way other fan bases do, they're very regionalized and generally disinterested in fan voting or whatever else.

My guess is Mike Trout is an all-star, and Tommy La Stella and Ty Buttrey head up "should've been an all-star" list, and the rest of the east coast asks, "who the heck is David Fletcher?"

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's a popularity contest, and you literally have to be Mike Trout or Shohei Ohtani in order to make the all-star team from the Angels.  No one from the east coast is going to vote for Tommy La Stella, David Fletcher or Ty Buttrey, and Angels fans simply don't mobilize the way other fan bases do, they're very regionalized and generally disinterested in fan voting or whatever else.

My guess is Mike Trout is an all-star, and Tommy La Stella and Ty Buttrey head up "should've been an all-star" list, and the rest of the east coast asks, "who the heck is David Fletcher?"

Yep but not even Ohtani has earned the votes to be in this year’s All Star Game.  

Jonah Keri chimes in...

2B Tommy La Stella, Angels – I know, I can’t believe it either. But the Cubs castoff has suddenly morphed into one of the most dangerous sluggers in the league. He’s one of several breakout mashers on our All-Star rosters who’ll get replaced the minute a lefty trots out of the bullpen.

He also had this to say...

UT David Fletcher, Angels – Yes, there’s room here for three-position guys, especially when they ignite a lineup the way Fletcher has for the Halos.

Edited by Inside Pitch