• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eight-man pitching rotation

I really don't think they'd go that extreme, but do agree that 6man/piggyback/opener rotations will likely be a big part of the Angels rotation in the immediate future. 

We're still seeing a ton of SPs used in tandem at Burlington and Inland Empire, to the point where those teams hardly have actual relievers. 

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I really don't think they'd go that extreme, but do agree that 6man/piggyback/opener rotations will likely be a big part of the Angels rotation in the immediate future. 

We're still seeing a ton of SPs used in tandem at Burlington and Inland Empire, to the point where those teams hardly have actual relievers. 

that's actually kinda what the article talks about.  those 8 guys pitch some combo of twice every 4 days.  

I think we'll see some combo of what you mentioned in the 2nd half if not sooner.  

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

that's actually kinda what the article talks about.  those 8 guys pitch some combo of twice every 4 days.  

I think we'll see some combo of what you mentioned in the 2nd half if not sooner.  

It's basically identical to what we're seeing at Burlington and Inland Empire. 

I worked up a sort of conceptualization for this staff...I created new labels (high-lev, flex, etc.) to differentiate from current pitching staff roles (closer, set-up man, long-relief)
Note, these labels aren't applied to the player, but rather the role.
Players can change role based on performance, i.e., Canning can pitch himself into a true starter, or even an ace, Pena into a true starter, Bard into a high-leverage, etc.

Also, I'm assuming we sign someone to anchor the top of the rotation:

• Ace Starters (always on active roster, always start once a week)
    • 1. Ohtani 
    • 2. G. Cole 
  • True Starters (always on active roster, always start once a week)
    • 3. Skaggs 
    • 4. Heaney
  • Developing Starters (always 2 on active roster, 2 in SLC, count for two starts a week)
    • 5. Canning/Barria/Suarez/Sandoval 
  • Spot Starters (always 2 on active roster because they don't have options, draw one start a week)
    • 6. and 7. Pena and J.C. Ramirez 
  • Flex Arms (at least 2 on active roster, they have options and shuffle as needed, occasionally drawing a spot start or used as an 'opener')
    • 8. and 9. Bard/Cole/Madero/Jewell
  • True Relievers (at least 2 on active roster, out of options, occasionally used as 'opener')
    • 10. and 11. Bedrosian/Robles/maybe a 3rd, like Garcia
  • High-Leverage (always at least 2, preferably 3, on active roster, but can occasionally be optioned)
    • 12. and 13. Anderson/Buttrey/Middleton
  • Catch-All (pitchers who are two-way players, Rule 5 guys, or out-of-option arms who are too good to DFA at the time but easy to DFA when needed)
    • 14. Noe Ramirez, Jared Walsh

The Rotation:

• Your 'Ace Starters' are expected to go 6-7 innings, 90-110 pitches. They don't need openers or piggybacked starters. 
  • Your 'True Starters' are now expected to only go 3-5 innings, 50-75 pitches. 'Spot starters' or 'flex' arms round out their games. 
  • Your 'Developing Starters' occasionally have openers from the 'true relievers' or 'flex' pools, and like the tier above, are expected to go 3-4 innings, 50-75 pitches. Rotate through AAA regularly. 

In-Between - both rotation and bullpen

• Your 'Spot Starters' rely on an opener from the 'true relievers' or 'flex' pools to help optimize their innings. They're flexible, expected to go anywhere from 2-5 innings, 40-80 pitches. Out of options.
  • Your 'Flex Arms' are extremely versatile, rubber-armed, and come with options. They can be an opener, they can spot start, they can give you 1-4 IP, 20-50 pitches. Rotate through AAA regularly.

The Bullpen:

• Your True Relievers are traditional bullpen arms. Veterans without options, they like defined roles, good for an inning and 15-30 pitches. Occasionally optimized as an opener for the Developing, Spot, and Flex starts. 
  • Your High Leverage arms replace the closer - they pepper in throughout the game and get the big outs. They're your best relievers. Occasionally rotated through AAA to avoid overwork.

Your True Relievers, High-Leverage, and Catch-All pool are used as needed any given day:

• If winning or losing by a large amount, rely on Catch-All to eat the innings and save your spot/flex arms.
  • If the winning or losing by a small amount, rely on True Relievers to keep it in reach or save high-lev arms.
  • If game is close or on the line, rely on the High-Leverage pool to keep it that way.

Your ACEs draw two starts a week. 
Your TRUE SPs draw two starts a week, paired with SPOT once, FLEX once. 
Your DEV SPs draw 1-2 starts a week, paired with a TRUE RP opener and backed by FLEX
Your SPOT draws the final start in a week, paired with TRUE RP opener and backed by FLEX
High-Lev puts out fires all week as needed, , TRUE RPs do the same one step down, and the catch-all saves innings that FLEX and SPOT can't cover.

It gives the Angels anywhere from 12-14, sometimes even 15, pitchers at any given time on the roster - which is only possible with the new 26-man roster and the fact they should have two two-way players in Ohtani and Walsh. 

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This is what happens when the team is boring and everyone’s watching the minors already and I’m left with nothing to think about...

You post some great stuff