• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Classic Rewind | Dateline: May 23rd, 2002

ANS1120830022.jpg

By Joe Haakenson, AngelsWin.com Contributor - 

MAY 23, 2002
OFF DAY - NOTEBOOK

ANAHEIM -- Pitcher Scott Schoeneweis enjoyed watching his teammates come back from a 5-0 deficit to beat the Royals, 7-6, on Wednesday night. But there was an element of disappointment, because it was Schoeneweis that put the team in a 5-0 hole.

``We're playing so well as a team, and we're pitching so well as starters,'' Schoeneweis said. ``Pretty much I'm the guy that's not. That's frustrating. I'm not carrying my weight right now.''

Schoeneweis may be right, but he has a tendency to be too hard on himself. While he has had some rough starts, he's also had some good ones. He's given up five runs or more in three of his nine starts. But he's given up three earned runs or fewer in five starts.

Right now, it seems Schoeneweis is looking at the bad ones.

``I don't know ... there are things I need to work on,'' he said. ``I'm really disappointed in my control and command. I'm not making pitches. I turn a 1-2-3 inning into a four-run inning.''

Schoeneweis was referring to the third inning Wednesday. He got the first two batters of the inning, but eventually gave up four in the inning.

``I'm about as frustrated as someone can be with my performance,'' he said. 

``Hopefully I'll have a lot more starts this year. Hopefully, sooner or later I'll figure it out.''

At 3-4, Schoeneweis is the only Angels starter with losing record, and his 5.43 ERA is the worst among the starters.

After rallying for their 7-6 victory on Wednesday, there was no blaring music in the Angels' clubhouse. Only minutes after the victory, closer Troy Percival marveled at his teammates' demeanor.

``This team is different than any team I've been on,'' he said. ``Even in '95, we were riding the highs and lows. You come in here now five minutes after the game, and guys are in the weight room and focusing on the next game. I've never seen anything like it.

``You don't see guys getting over-excited about anything. It's just the professionalism (manager Mike) Scioscia brings to it. When we were 6-14, some of us might have been wondering what was happening. But he was the same guy. We still had fun in the clubhouse. The whole time he stayed with us.''

The Angels are averaging 22,822 fans per home game this season, down from 23,359 per game at this time last season.

``The big thing is to win,'' Scioscia said. ``If we keep on the course we're on and hopefully get to the playoffs and be perennial contenders, the fan base will be what we want.''

Y8emjq1qdDU

View the full article