• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Reception for Morales

That's because most of the Angels fans probably hadn't heard of Jim Edmonds.  He was before 2002.  The year our "fan base" quadrupled.  I hate to say it, but--just because the Angels have more fans than the average major league franchise, it doesn't mean that those fans have a very high baseball IQ.  Some of the conversations I hear at the ballpark are unbelievably idiotic.  Half the crowd at Angel Stadium cries for the starting pitcher to be taken out if he gives up two runs in the first inning.  Nobody has any clue about bullpen management.  I tried to explain to someone once that a sinker baller usually takes an inning or so to find his groove.  The guy looked at me like I'd asked him to solve the riddle of the Sphinx.        

Chad !! What's up? Hope you've been well.

Ok, now my reply:

You'll hear idiotic conversations at every ballpark

Morales' OPS+ last year was 120.  It is about the same this year and over his career.   Garret Anderson's career OPS+ was 102.  He only topped 120 twice.  Not comparing their Angels careers... just a friendly reminder to those that like to compare players across decades by using OPS, AVG, HR, etc. You have to account for change... and the game has changed dramatically in recent years.  

Morales was good with the Angels.  Based on that you'd think he'd get a warm welcome, but he only played two full seasons. He didn't speak much English, either... that generally doesn't help with popularity.  Torii Hunter didn't get the love he got because he was amazing between the lines.  He was good, but it had a lot to do with his personality.  

Seems kind of a shame that Kendrys didn't get a better reception.  Mainstay of the lineup for most of the last three years, came up through the system, and just a smattering of applause... sad...

what'd you expect? he was injured for a while and didnt really contribute to any memorable seasons...eh