• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A certain freshman congresswoman

3 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

This has been a solid discussion, lets not ruin with hyperbole and arguing things I never said.  The private sector is much more efficient overall and I don't think that is arguable.  I never argued they were perfect.  

Again, do you believe that the government has spent the money they have in great way?  Is it all of the sudden going to get way more efficient because of healthcare or free college?

1st of all.  I think that when talking about government inefficiency there’s a lot to unpack there.  Government services are generally not driven by a profit motive.  They are subject to various requirements that private organizations don’t necessarily deal with.  There are reasons for those requirements.  So without getting into to weeds too much.  I’ll just say that it’s sort of an apples and oranges thing.  So, I don’t agree that the private sector is “much more efficient” overall.  

Do you think it’s a great idea to hand off say,  oversight of air traffic controllers to the private sector ? Who again, ultimately have the primary motivation of profit ? Maybe you do.  I do not.  We have examples by the way.  The prison system has undergone a good deal of privatization.  Disastrously.  Or we can look at the proliferation of charter schools.  Also, often with fuc*king shitty results.  It’s not easy to serve the needs of people.  These are specific examples I’m using.  But I just bring it up to highlight that privatizing doesn’t necessarily produce better results. 

So, you asked me if I think that government spends money in a great way.  Well, yes and no.  I think the government does some things better then other things.  Yea, there are inefficient processes and waste.  Again, these are things that should be watched closely and improved.  Does that happen quickly ? I mean no.  But that doesn’t mean it cant be improved. 

Some parts of government should be shrunk.  I believe that.  But other aspects should be expanded.  Healthcare is an area where I think that’s particularly true.