• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

1er over his last 29ip.  I didn't realize he'd been that good.  He's allowed 5 hits in his last 19 innings.  

Guys like this are great because they’re really the kind of guys you can shop around the deadline for simple rental vets. They’re the currency you use to get a Jordan Lyles or Joe Smith or Ricky Nolasco.

Consistent, solid results for any minor league pitcher is a great thing, even if they don’t have much ceiling, and right now we’ve got a ton of that in A/A+ ball, probably more next year after this year’s draft. They’ll probably uncover a Matt Shoemaker or Justin Anderson or two out of those arms too. 

Plus I think Eppler is developing the system in a way where we eventually have a ton of AAA arms like Tyler, Beasley, Ortega, Madero, Molina, Wantz, that might not have your typical MLB SP 5 IP, 4.00 ERA ceiling, but they can give you 2-3 innings at a time, maybe once-and-a-half through a lineup if they start at the end, and, paired with an opener, or a similar pitcher, or capped with true high-lev relievers, or in a mop-up role like Noe, they can find a lot of success, shuffling these versatile (yet limited) arms back and forth from SLC as needed until certain ones stand out. 

I wonder if the Wilson pick was partially inspired by Jahmai Jones complete collapse at the plate. Wilson should be ready in a couple years, maybe late 2021 or by 2022, which at that point the Angels will know if either Ward or Thaiss can handle 3B, who is better between Fletcher and Rengifo, and which two of the four to keep - or maybe keep three and trade Wilson. Lots of moveable parts, but the good thing is...lots of solid parts in the IF an OF.

Now if only we can develop a good catcher or two, and some starting pitchers...

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

A solid top three in the Orem Owlz lineup. 

Orem.png

btw, you forgot the #5 hitter and new AW legend - Adrian Rondon.  Hit is 5th hr. 919 ops.  SS/3b.  

let's not forget he was probably the top intl prospect from the 2014 class and got almost 3m.  He turned 21 about a week ago which means he's still younger than a college junior.  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

btw, you forgot the #5 hitter and new AW legend - Adrian Rondon.  Hit is 5th hr. 919 ops.  SS/3b.  

let's not forget he was probably the top intl prospect from the 2014 class and got almost 3m.  He turned 21 about a week ago which means he's still younger than a college junior.  

Reeeeealllllly liking what Rondon is doing. I need to see it last more than ~100 PA and probably success in Burlington before I get excited, but looking good so far.

There’s a lot of talent at Orem/Burlington between Maitan, Adams, Rondon, Knowles, Wilson, Jackson, and Soto. Martinez and Rivas at IE, and Rivas, Ramirez, and Uceta at Rookie Ball too.

It really could be Adell, Ward, Fletcher, Rengifo, Thaiss, Walsh, Rojas, Jones, and Marsh all over again in two years. 

Edited by totdprods

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I wonder if the Wilson pick was partially inspired by Jahmai Jones complete collapse at the plate. Wilson should be ready in a couple years, maybe late 2021 or by 2022, which at that point the Angels will know if either Ward or Thaiss can handle 3B, who is better between Fletcher and Rengifo, and which two of the four to keep - or maybe keep three and trade Wilson. Lots of moveable parts, but the good thing is...lots of solid parts in the IF an OF.

Now if only we can develop a good catcher or two, and some starting pitchers...

I think they were left with high floor college SS or volatile HS arm with their 1st round pick.  Tough call on the 15th pick.  I doubt it had anything to do with anyone else already in our org.  

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Since Will Wilson is awesome now, I decided he's the next Brian Dozier, but as soon as he sucks again I'll make sure to let everyone know how disappointed I am.

he ended up 3-4 tonight so 14-29 over his last 5 games.  and he's Trevor Story.  Not Brian Dozier.  

Just my own scouting report and what was rumored in Tampa Bay. He has plus bat speed and users the entire field well. However, he hasn't filled out physically the way they thought he would, and there are/were concerns about his work ethic and maturity.

I don't know if those have been solved or not. But to be fair, there was never doubt about his athleticism.

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Just my own scouting report and what was rumored in Tampa Bay. He has plus bat speed and users the entire field well. However, he hasn't filled out physically the way they thought he would, and there are/were concerns about his work ethic and maturity.

I don't know if those have been solved or not. But to be fair, there was never doubt about his athleticism.

there's some corollaries between him and Maitan actually.  you know I love my comps.  I get an Edgar Renteria vibe.  

31 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Reeeeealllllly liking what Rondon is doing. I need to see it last more than ~100 PA and probably success in Burlington before I get excited, but looking good so far.

There’s a lot of talent at Orem/Burlington between Maitan, Adams, Rondon, Knowles, Wilson, Jackson, and Soto. Martinez and Rivas at IE, and Rivas, Ramirez, and Uceta at Rookie Ball too.

It really could be Adell, Ward, Fletcher, Rengifo, Thaiss, Walsh, Rojas, Jones, and Marsh all over again in two years. 

we've got that A+ gap of talent.  No one in our top 20.  Three in our top 30.  Orlando Martinez, Oliver Ortega and Leon Rivas (on rehab in he azl).  Chris Rodriguez was here prior to injury although I bet he'd be in AA if healthy.  

Bradish, Hernandez, Brady, Criswell have some mlb potential.  Maybe Ben Morrison and Austin Warren as well.  Almost forgot Chris Molina who got moved up recently as well. 

So a bunch of pitching depth but pretty lean on the position player side of thing.  I still really like Martinez though.  That's just a really sweet swing.  

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

we've got that A+ gap of talent.  No one in our top 20.  Three in our top 30.  Orlando Martinez, Oliver Ortega and Leon Rivas (on rehab in he azl).  Chris Rodriguez was here prior to injury although I bet he'd be in AA if healthy.  

Bradish, Hernandez, Brady, Criswell have some mlb potential.  Maybe Ben Morrison and Austin Warren as well.  Almost forgot Chris Molina who got moved up recently as well. 

So a bunch of pitching depth but pretty lean on the position player side of thing.  I still really like Martinez though.  That's just a really sweet swing.  

It’ll be thin for a bit, but the lower-level guys will be promoted aggressively and catch up eventually. 

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Wantz had struggled over his last few starts at AA but solid tonight.  5ip, 3h, 0er, 3bb, 5k.  

I've still got hope for him as a future back end starter with a slim chance he become a Lackey type guy.  (I said slim ok)

Perhaps he is just simply adjusting?  Ever since being drafted, he hasn't missed a beat.  I'd love to see a recent scouting report on him.  In fact, there are a lot of pitchers this year that have encouraging numbers.  I really wonder who has a lot of buzz inside the organization.  I think we'll have a lot guys in A ball who will either get or get very close to a 100 inning's pitched and a 100 strikeouts this year: Oliver Ortega, Hector Yan, Kyle Tyler, Luis Alvarado, Christopher Molina, Dennis Brady, Robinson Pina, Cole Duensing,  Andrew Wantz (I know he's in AA, but started the year in A), and Jose Soriano was well on his way before he got put on the DL.  I wonder if any of the above guys (minus Soriano) project as legitimate potential starters.  Brady, Pina, Yan, and Ortega are now starting to break into some top 30 lists.  Again, whether these guys are projectable or not I have no clue.  But we haven't had this level of production and quality pitching in a long time. 

7 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Maitan changed his swing again and I kinda dig it alot..

Edit: woops just saw the previous page.

Great follow through, fast, strong bat. I guess the swing change explains why he took about a week off earlier this month. This system could use a breakout campaign from him next year. I still think he can be a game changing starting 3B.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Duensing has had a really great year too. One of the most dramatic turnarounds I’ve see from a pitcher. 

He also looks like he could be fast-tracked as a reliever and be in Anaheim quickly.

A 1.5 WHIP from a 21 year old in single A is great?  Granted it's better than a garbage 2.2 WHIP, but that's not saying much. He doesn't miss a lot of bats, and walks a lot. It looks like the one thing he has going for him this year is reduced home runs.

Unless i'm missing something?

21 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Just noticed that Soriano hasn't made a start in a while now, anyone know if something is up with him?

They likely had him throw on his regular schedule, just not in games.   They made it seem like it was a ten day thing...  Guess we will see.