• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rule 5 Draft Thread

totdprods

It doesn’t take place until tomorrow morning, but here’s a good preview article on prospects available, draft order, and some scouting reports.

I sort of skimmed, but none of the Angels’ eligible prospects (Walsh, Pena, Way, Garth, Rhoades, Lillis-White) are listed.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2018-rule-5-draft-preview-v-10/

Anyone standing out? Assuming a reliever will likely be atop Eppler’s targets. 

Cy Sneed seems like he'd be useful in our pen. Our new pitching coach would likely be familiar with him too. Riley Ferrell makes sense too, as he fits Eppler's profile for pen guys and White would be familiar, but he's likely to get picked before we get a chance.

Cy Sneed, RHP, Astros
Sneed has long been a productive pitcher, but he's developed into a slightly harder-throwing, well-rounded pitcher who profiles as a Rule 5 pick as a multi-inning reliever who can fill in as a spot starter. He mixes a fastball, curve, split and change while touching 93-94 mph. His control and command waver, but he has a track record of getting outs.

Rafael Bautista (lots of speed) and Drew Ferguson (.393 career OBP) would be interesting 4th OF choices.

We could also bring this guy back...

Chris Ellis, RHP, Cardinals
Acquired by the Cardinals in 2016's Jaime Garcia trade, Ellis has bounced between starting and relieving and he's bounced between being a finesse pitcher and more of a power arm. His velocity has spiked into the mid-90s when working out of then bullpen but his slider is not the swing-and-miss pitch scouts expected it to develop into. Ellis is durable and he's tamed some of the control problems he faced earlier in his career. He went 10-4, 3.93 with a 1.17 WHIP in 2018.

Ferrell - stuff that misses bats.  
Gatewood - more stashable due to injury.  May have turned a corner.  
Reed Garrett seems like an obvious Eppler target.  
Jake Reed - another obvious Eppler guy.  
Sneed - convert him to the pen full time.  
Deivi Grullon - phils catcher hit 21hrs in AA last year.  probably a stretch for him to be on a major league roster.  

I could see us going heavy on the minor league phase to supplement our AA/AAA pitching.  

15 minutes away...

I think I read a tweet last night that Eppler was still weighing whether or not they'd choose someone. It's a pretty weak Rule 5 class this year, but Eppler is always looking for a way to add good, young talent so I'm assuming he takes someone - unless there are some other moves/offers close to finalizing which bring our 40-man up to full.