• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Phillies have placed first baseman Justin Bour on waivers.

Chuck

IMO, I think we should sign him to be in a strict platoon with Pujols at 1B. This way Bour (a power hitting lefthanded hitter with a good OBP) gets the majority of ab's against righties, with Pujols getting the rest he needs off his feet going against just southpaws, in addition to being a late inning pinch hitter in case we need a big HR. 

Thoughts?

sNBCSPhilly's Jim Salisbury reports that the Phillies have placed first baseman Justin Bour on waivers.

The Phillies just wanted Bour as a pinch-hitter down the stretch last year; with Carlos Santana and Rhys Hoskins on the roster, there was no way he'd be in their plans for 2019. Someone will probably claim him and see what he's looking for in arbitration in advance of the non-tender deadline. If the team doesn't like what it hears, he can be let go then at no cost. He'd be a fine option as a platoon first baseman ... it's just a matter of whether that's worth $5 million or so in this environment.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This might deserve its own thread.  Would you trade for Carlos Santana if it meant you could get Cesar Hernandez and the cost was Kole and very little else of interest?   

I like that idea, @Stradling. Start a new thread for that one, but I'm on board! I wonder if they'd take Cozart's contract as JP Crawford was a disaster last year at SS, but he could also play 2B for the Phillies. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This might deserve its own thread.  Would you trade for Carlos Santana if it meant you could get Cesar Hernandez and the cost was Kole and very little else of interest?   

intriguing... taking on a fair  amount of extra cash but does cross some boxes

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Where would Carlos play? He’s more or less limited to 1B/DH and we have two guys limited to those positions and a majority of the playing time already. He’s also $20m each year, so that’s nearly $50m for aging two 1B/DH. 

I was hoping we’d go after Santana last year. At best you’re looking at him and Albert splitting 1B 50/50, plus occasionally for Ohtani. Can’t see it fitting now.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

IMO, I think we should sign him to be in a strict platoon with Pujols at 1B. This way Bour (a power hitting lefthanded hitter with a good OBP) gets the majority of ab's against righties, with Pujols getting the rest he needs off his feet going against just southpaws, in addition to being a late inning pinch hitter in case we need a big HR. 

Thoughts?

sNBCSPhilly's Jim Salisbury reports that the Phillies have placed first baseman Justin Bour on waivers.

The Phillies just wanted Bour as a pinch-hitter down the stretch last year; with Carlos Santana and Rhys Hoskins on the roster, there was no way he'd be in their plans for 2019. Someone will probably claim him and see what he's looking for in arbitration in advance of the non-tender deadline. If the team doesn't like what it hears, he can be let go then at no cost. He'd be a fine option as a platoon first baseman ... it's just a matter of whether that's worth $5 million or so in this environment.

I would pass on this. He will get far more in arbitration than he would get as a FA. Why waste the time, when the reality is we should wait to see what it would take to get him as a FA. At $1 million, that's a palatable option as a FA. at $5+ million in arbitration, or evern $2+ million in arbitration, I'd say it's too much for a platoon 1B only.

56 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Where would Carlos play? He’s more or less limited to 1B/DH and we have two guys limited to those positions and a majority of the playing time already. He’s also $20m each year, so that’s nearly $50m for aging two 1B/DH. 

I was hoping we’d go after Santana last year. At best you’re looking at him and Albert splitting 1B 50/50, plus occasionally for Ohtani. Can’t see it fitting now.

Sanatana was a catcher in the past so there’s an idea, pretty sure those days are gone now unfortunately 

12 minutes ago, CDiaz27? said:

Sanatana was a catcher in the past so there’s an idea, pretty sure those days are gone now unfortunately 

He can also still play 1st. The Phillies also had him play some third, but I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart.

The only problem with platooning Pujols like that is I don’t see the Angels not giving Pujols the start if he’s healthy. I can’t see them making Pujols a part time player. So if they platooned him at first I see them sitting Ohtani to start Pujols. And if that happens the Angels fans should revolt. 

8 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

If I were Brad Ausmus, and that's a big if, I would start Pujols against lefties, and righties who primarily rely on fastballs up in the zone. Pujols struggles with off-speed pitches.

Never, ever platoon with Ohtani. He should start at DH for every game that we intend on winning.

If I recall, Pujols has hit worse against lefties recently.