• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: 8/5/2018 Angels vs Indians-No Trout. Valbuena DFA’d.

jordan

Just now, IheartLA said:

lol yea i'm obviously being dramatic but I don't want to write a book so I'll try to just explain shortly what I'm seeing. The OBP of Thaiss has been pretty average, he plays 1B, and if you compare other players that played on the Angels over the years and their stats to ML translation + how they handled each jump considering age/time spent at each level you just tend to get some opinions.

Kind of like how one would look at a 30 YR Kole w/ good track record and sees hope for improvement from his beginning numbers whereas you wouldn't have the same optimism for a 40 YR Pujols. There is nothing to indicate a turnaround whereas with Kole there was some reason to believe he would bounce back like he has.

Same thing with Ward, he had the position change that could explain his offensive stats. His OBP/SLG have remained elite over the two highest levels, rather than just beasting at AAA like Fletcher after putting up really bad stats at A+/AA. Plus his size - 6'3, pedigree - 1st round pick, plays 3B. Thaiss isn't putting up that impressive OBP/SLG and he plays 1B.

Just a little bit how I"m thinking. 

nice book 

People were convinced that Blash/Hermosillo should be playing everyday over Kole - those people look pretty stupid now. overreactions and thinking the minor league player I don't know is better than the ok ML player I know. If they were good enough they would be playing, the organization promoted Trout from AA to MLB, Calhoun from A+ to AAA, Cron, A+ to AAA, Adell 3 levels this year.

Average prospects like Hermosillo/Fletcher are always overrated by their own team's fans

2 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

People were convinced that Blash/Hermosillo should be playing everyday over Kole - those people look pretty stupid now. overreactions and thinking the minor league player I don't know is better than the ok ML player I know. If they were good enough they would be playing, the organization promoted Trout from AA to MLB, Calhoun from A+ to AAA, Cron, A+ to AAA, Adell 3 levels this year.

Average prospects like Hermosillo/Fletcher are always overrated by their own team's fans

At the time literally anyone other then Kole Calhoun should have been playing.  To be fair. 

You’re definitely right that people overrate their teams prospects. 

1 minute ago, IheartLA said:

Calhoun was the definition of an average prospect. Hell he could barely even be called a prospect.

I agree that Blash is a nobody but I wouldn't be so rough on Hermosillo yet. Calhoun was at IE at 23. He tore it up and reached the majors at 24 where he got his first cup of coffee and sucked donkey dick. Then he came back at 25 and the rest is history.

Herm is a year ahead of him. 

12 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

And nobody really expects Fletch to be more than a solid utility player. Which right now, he is.

I expect Fletch to develop into Adam Kennedy. Able to roll with the punches, uppercuts especially. 

3 hours ago, 101halo said:

FIRE ERIC CHAVEZ! 

Eric Chavez was involved in one of the worst baseball games I've ever attended. I don't recall the year but I was in the Bay area visiting my brother and we took in an A's game. They were playing the Angels. It's the game where Frankie dropped the return throw from the catcher (Jose Molina?) in the bottom of the 9th with the score tied and Jason Kendall on third base. Of course he scored the winning run. Chavez had tied the score in the 7th with a three-run blast off Donnelly.

To make matters worse, I got a nice case of heat exhaustion sitting in the sun all game long. I was standing in the shade of the concourse on the third base side drinking water when Kendall scored and the place went crazy.

I watched the whole thing unfold and it was sickening.

Edited by fan_since79

On 8/5/2018 at 3:01 PM, tdawg87 said:

Your concerns are understood, but here's a few counter points:

Fletcher only has 132 MLB at bats coming into today. Mike Trout had a .671 OPS in his first 123 MLB at bats. I'm not comparing the two players, just stating that it's a little too early to start worrying about a guy who is batting .270 in his first cup of coffee. Besides, Fletcher isn't going to be a high OPS guy because he doesn't hit for power. He does need to work on his plate discipline though. 

Calling Fernandez shit is short-sighted (36 at bats, dude), but isn't terribly unfair considering he's already 30. Marte and Blash are both shit, that's fine. But Hermosillo? He's 23 years old. He's also had a whopping 39 at bats.

I'd also be interested in knowing why you feel Ward will be good but don't think Thaiss or Rengifo will be anything special. Thaiss has hit at every level consistently (unlike Ward) and Rengifo is 21 years old and has a .305/.404/.458 slash line across 3 levels this year, not to mention 38 (!!!) stolen bases.

On 8/5/2018 at 3:05 PM, 101halo said:

Jeez, when did you start writing serious replies. Hate to encroach on @EnglishCop territory, but I think you forgot a semi COLON in there. Somewhere. 

1) I generally avoiding touching anything @tdawg87 posts due to my fear of disgusting things, especially when the word colon is being used.

2) You forgot a question mark in there somewhere in the first sentence.