• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade idea

I almost never make trade suggestions as it seems too much like playing the lottery - a lot of anticipation and little reward. But I can’t help dreaming about this one:

Justin Upton to the Indians for Francisco Mejia. Indians get a bolster to their weak offense, the Angels get the stud catching prospect they’re lacking.

The biggest problem with the trade is Upton’s salary, so the Angels might have to throw in a few bucks. 

I know...won’t happen, but it should.

Even though BP rated Mejia 8th, there is this blurb.

Why he might fail: While it’s possible we are a bit higher than the industry on Mejia’s bat, that kind of stuff happens and doesn’t really concern us. However, we might also be higher than Cleveland on his glove. That’s a bit bigger concern. Wrong or right, the frame might not hold up to a full catching schedule, and the bat isn’t as exciting as a half-time corner outfielder.

The Angels traded Grayson long for him a year ago. Granted he had an opt out, but that also meant his contract couldn't turn into a disaster. 

I don't think he's done enough in the last year (especially considering his contract) to raise his value from Grayson Long to Mejia.

26 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I almost never make trade suggestions as it seems too much like playing the lottery - a lot of ananticipation and little reward. But I can’t help dreaming about this one:

Justin Upton to the Indians for Francisco Mejia. Indians get a bolster to their weak offense, the Angels get the stud catching prospect they’re lacking.

The biggest problem with the trade is Upton’s salary, so the Angels might have to throw in a few bucks. 

I don't see why we should trade someone we need for someone we don't need.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

I could see Upton being traded after 2020, if Trout is re-signed.    Trout, Adell, Marsh = no OF room for Upton.

They could trade him after 2020, and eat half of the remaining $42.4 million due him.   That would still free up $10.6 million for both 2021 and 2022. 

That’s the most likely scenario, or that he fattens up on the bench for a couple years as Ohtani’s DH platoon.

Just now, Torridd said:

I don't see why we should trade someone we need for someone we don't need.

Need for what? Mejia gives the Angels the long turn solution at the only position they don’t have a long turn answer for. Upton plays a position that they have incredible depth. Hermosillo and Walsh can hold the fort until Adell/Marsh are ready as soon as late 2019 or 2020. Plus the Angels save a lot of money on an overpay.

11 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Adell/Marsh are at least two years away. I'm very content with Maldonado.

This is the same refrain we heard after the Simmons trade. We had Aybar and didn't need a SS. Our farm was weak and we didn't have any pitching prospects. Maldonado is a FA. There's no guarantee we sign him. Even if we can resign him, we have nothing in the system for the foreseeable future at any level. He's almost 32 and a 1-2 WAR player. We may be a year or two away from having a permanent solution in LF or RF for the Angels, but the solutions are at least on the horizon. 

I can't imagine Cleveland goes for this trade, but if they accepted it then I'd do it in a second. 

I do not understand why some are over infatuated with prospects. Upton is our second to third best bat. Can you Imagine our offense next year without Upton. Do you remember how hard it was to find a left fielder( Upton ) in the first place? I swear that some people here are more concerned about us having a higher ranked farm system over us having a competitive major league team. 

In fact (Note: sarcasm to follow) while we are at it. Let’s trade Simmons and Trout. That way we can round out the rest of our farm system. We can be double deep at each position for our future. And have the best farm system ever and no major league team with talent. (Note: Sarcasm now off)

2 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

I do not understand why some are over infatuated with prospects. Upton is our second to third best bat. Can you Imagine our offense next year without Upton. Do you remember how hard it was to find a left fielder( Upton ) in the first place? I swear that some people here are more concerned about us having a higher ranked farm system over us having a competitive major league team. 

Mejia wouldn't be in the minor leagues... He'd be on the big club.

9 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Mejia wouldn't be in the minor leagues... He'd be on the big club.

Are you sure. He is a 22 year old AAA catcher, who was moved for a while to the outfield and has a triple slash line of 281/331/431. Don’t get me wrong, that is solid. But that doesn’t scream: major league starter to me. Look at what Carlos Perez did in his career in AAA. In fact why was he auditioned in the outfield recently in the first place. Do we need two Wards who can not cut it behind the plate? 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I almost never make trade suggestions as it seems too much like playing the lottery - a lot of anticipation and little reward. But I can’t help dreaming about this one:

Weak offense? They’re 4th in the league in runs scored close on the tails of the Skanks and Stros.

Have you watched Lindor and Ramirez lately... best one-two punch in baseball.

5 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

Are you sure. He is a 22 year old AAA catcher, who was moved for a while to the outfield and has a triple slash line of 281/331/431. Don’t get me wrong, that is solid. But that doesn’t scream: major league starter to me. Look at what Carlos Perez did in his career in AAA. In fact why was he auditioned in the outfield recently in the first place. Do we need two Wards who can not cut it behind the plate? 

There's a huge difference between being 22 in Columbus and 26 in SLC... or 24 for that matter.

2 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

There's a huge difference between being 22 in Columbus and 26 in SLC... or 24 for that matter.

What about in 2015 when he Perez was 23 (I believe) in his first year at AAA. Better slash line then Mejia. All I am saying is why give up the only solid left fielder we have had in the past 6 years or so for a prospect that has questions marks and may or may not ever make it. Much less probably ever  come close to the offensive value Upton has. 

3 minutes ago, stanick88 said:

What about in 2015 when he Perez was 23 (I believe) in his first year at AAA. Better slash line then Mejia. All I am saying is why give up the only solid left fielder we have had in the past 6 years or so for a prospect that has questions marks and may or may not ever make it. Much less probably ever  come close to the offensive value Upton has. 

As was stated, we have nothing in the pipeline at C. If Maldonado leaves at the end of the season we're kind of screwed. Beyond that, even if we sign him, he's getting old. Catchers break down. Even if he doesn't break down he's still only a 1-2 win type of player. Best case scenario we get 6 WAR out of Maldonado for 2019-2021. Worst case we get 0. 

You trade Upton and you have your catcher locked in (hopefully) and even if you ate half of Upton's money $40 million. You have $40 million in savings to find a stop gap LF until some of the prospects are ready. 

11 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

As was stated, we have nothing in the pipeline at C. If Maldonado leaves at the end of the season we're kind of screwed. Beyond that, even if we sign him, he's getting old. Catchers break down. Even if he doesn't break down he's still only a 1-2 win type of player. Best case scenario we get 6 WAR out of Maldonado for 2019-2021. Worst case we get 0. 

You trade Upton and you have your catcher locked in (hopefully) and even if you ate half of Upton's money $40 million. You have $40 million in savings to find a stop gap LF until some of the prospects are ready. 

But a catcher can be filled a lot easier than an impact (or somewhat impactful)  left fielder. We obtained Maldonado for a Jeff bandy swap. 

Man, some of you guys are amazing.  Do we want to have a chance to compete over the next 2 or so years ? Upton is necessary if your answer to that is yes.  The whining about him is incredible (not saying you’re whining @Angelsjunky) Upton does what he does.  He’s going to give us 30+ home runs.  He’ll probably end up with .800 or better OPS.  We have a lot of season left.  If you get rid of Upton you’re opening up a hole that the Angels took 8 years to close.  Walsh or Hermosillo are far from sure things as adequate replacements.   It doesn’t even make sense.  Do we really think Epplers long term outlook has changed so dramatically in the last 5 months that he’d already be trying to dramatically alter course ?  If that were true (it’s not) any faith in his competence would appropriately be severely shaken. 

Mejia isn’t a great fielding catcher.  He has a big arm.  The Indians have been playing him at 3b.  If you take away his value as a catcher he may not even be a top 100 prospect.  Maybe he sticks in the lower half, but this is a step back move with no solid guarantee of stop forward any time soon. 

The Angels behavior in the last 2 years has very clearly not been that of a rebuilding team.  The front office is trying to be a winner in the short term.  A trade like this makes what they’ve done inefficient.  The Angels are frustrating but they need to stick to the plan that they’ve been pursuing.  Which I believe is, building around the multiple good  players we have at the major league level.  While not sacrificing opportunities to grow the farm.  

Edited by UndertheHalo