• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The C.J. Cron trade return

Chuck

SS Luis Rengifo who we received in return for Cron looks really good in High-A ball. 

Slashing .297.407.432 with a league leading 17 SB and 21 walks vs. 19 strikeouts. 

He's also not the slappy middle infielder type with no pop we're used to either as he's hit 2 HR, 2 triples and 6 doubles so far and hit 12 dingers last season. 

The depth we have at middle infield is pretty amazing when you consider Jones, Rengifo, Rivas and Fletcher all could be future options at 2B.

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

CJ looked pretty good against the Braves last night....went 2 for 4 and on one of his outs, he missed a HR by a foot....could be a trade that turns out ok both ways....

Cron's numbers are very Cron-like thus far, but that will work for the Rays.

.264/.317/.465 w/ 7 HR.

I wonder how many games we are giving up because we have to play Pujols instead of Cron. IMO this is a more significant cost than the money. To put it in financial terms though, if Pujols finishes around 0 war, and Cron finishes around 2 that costs the team about $16 million this year alone before you even consider salaries.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

The depth we have at middle infield is pretty amazing when you consider Jones, Rengifo, Rivas and Fletcher all could be future options at 2B.

Especially because going into this last offseason, it didn't look like we had any MIF prospects aside from Rivas. Fletcher's future was still pretty questionable.

20 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I wonder how many games we are giving up because we have to play Pujols instead of Cron. IMO this is a more significant cost than the money. To put it in financial terms though, if Pujols finishes around 0 war, and Cron finishes around 2 that costs the team about $16 million this year alone before you even consider salaries.

But wouldn't Marte and Valbuena's  production from seeing more time now 1B/DH offset it a bit as well?

Just now, totdprods said:

But wouldn't Marte and Valbuena's production at 1B/DH offset it a bit as well?

Ehhh... maybe marginally. It comes down to Pujols' production versus the opportunity cost of putting someone else there. Practically the calculation would be done by taking Albert's plate appearances and comparing them to how the best of Marte/Valbuena/Cron would be projected to do. So in that sense Marte/Valbuena's production offsets the loss of Cron, but works in the opposite way with regards to the miss allocation of playing time to Pujols.

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

SS Luis Rengifo who we received in return for Cron looks really good in High-A ball. 

Slashing .297.407.432 with a league leading 17 SB and 21 walks vs. 19 strikeouts. 

He's also not the slappy middle infielder type with no pop we're used to either as he's hit 2 HR, 2 triples and 6 doubles so far and hit 12 dingers last season. 

First couple weeks of minor leagues I was able to go to 66er games and watch players getting used to playing at a higher level in a new ballpark. Rengifo looked like the only guy ready the first game to play. Still plenty to learn but everything he did looked like he knew what he was going to do before the play came his way. 

I need to make time to see another game now they've all had a month to get up to speed. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

First couple weeks of minor leagues I was able to go to 66er games and watch players getting used to playing at a higher level in a new ballpark. Rengifo looked like the only guy ready the first game to play. Still plenty to learn but everything he did looked like he knew what he was going to do before the play came his way. 

I need to make time to see another game now they've all had a month to get up to speed. 

That's good to know! 

So far if I'm ranking our current crop of MI's based on performance and factoring in league/ballparks advantages I'm going this way.

1. Rengifo: .297.407.432 with a league leading 17 SB and 21 walks vs. 19 strikeouts. 

2. Fletcher: .354/.400/592 with 4 HR, 3 SB and 9 walks vs. just 7 strikeouts.

3. Rivas: .255/.408/.351 24 walks vs. 28 strikeouts but little power (1 HR) and isn't stealing many bags this season (19 last season).1 SB, 2 CS.

4. Jones: .212/.322/.374 which is pretty bad, but remember he got off to a slow start last year and is learning a new position. 3 HR, 3 SB, 14 walks vs. 24 strikeouts. Most upside of all 4.

How about adding Julio Garcia to the list?

Julio Garcia Stats Summary

LG LEVEL G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS GO/AO
Minors 2018 MID A(Full) 26 107 8 29 41 6 0 2 16 5 1 33 2 3 .271 .301 .383 .684 1.00
Minors Career - Minors 167 626 79 153 206 32 6 3 74 46 1 162 23 10 .244 .294 .329 .623 1.39