• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Garrett Richards

Glen

8 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

If he has a healthy season they try to resign him.   It would surprise me if he gets extended mid season for another two years.  

If all goes well for Richards and based on his age he’s definitely going to be seeking a lot more than a two year extension.

He may be looking to finally cash in on the lucrative deal that has eluded him the past couple of seasons because of his tough luck. He’s pretty good when he’s healthy.

1 minute ago, OHTANILAND said:

If all goes well for Richards and based on his age he’s definitely going to be seeking a lot more than a two year extension.

He may be looking to finally cash in on the lucrative deal that has eluded him the past couple of seasons because of his tough luck. He’s pretty good when he’s healthy.

Yes that’s why I said mid-season.  He knows his injury history and he and his agent know exactly how last years free agency went.   So he may sign an extension mid season if offered to him.  

1 minute ago, SuperTroopers said:

Yes that’s why I said mid-season.  He knows his injury history and he and his agent know exactly how last years free agency went.   So he may sign an extension mid season if offered to him.  

If he’s solid in the first half he’s not signing a two year deal at age 30. He’s going to be looking for a five year deal. 

He did what an Ace is supposed to do, stop a losing streak. It's weird I have never seen a pitching staff that is so stuck in its own head like this years staff. Each pitcher has good stuff but tend to mentally lose it after 3 or 4 innings. I'm glad GRich overcame the last start.

16 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

To further my point, he will be entering his age 30 season next year.   Both Cobb and Lynn were 30 year old free agents with injury history.  One got 1 year $12 million, the other got 4 years and $57 million.   So a 2-3 year deal mid season wouldn’t be that surprising for either side. 

Richards, if successful, would be throwing in the towel on a two year deal. I think he will be looking to sign his last contract and that could take him anywhere. 

If Richards is truly an ace then isn't throwing a quality start expected of him? I don't think going 6 innings it's asking very much from an "ace".

Hopefully Richards can get his injuries behind him and start throwing more than 5 or 6 innings with over 100 pitches.

I don't think the Angels will extend him, if they do I don't think it would be for more than 2 years because his arm is a question mark. In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Angels let him walk at the end of the year even if he's healthy..if his arm fails before the end of the season then he's obviously done here.

This is Garrett's main opportunity at earning money. He's a hard throwing right gander with an injury history. Chances are, that velo based success of his won't be something that remains past age 32 or 33. 

So he has to cash in.

But the market, or more appropriately, teams generally assess and assign a monetary value to free agents more evenly now. Garrett won't be getting a 5+ year deal like he might have a few years ago from a team wagering he stays healthy.

He'll get 2-3 years at 15 million or so if he has a healthy and productive season this year.

I agree ... I think the best Richards could get is a 3 year 45 million deal.  In addition, Richard's mechanics are just awful.  He throws across his body and a violent delivery.  I think he's going to throw his arm out in a couple of years if he doesn't re-injure himself.  Anytime Richards cranks it up and throws 97 or 98 I completely hold my breath.  With his effective slider I wish he'd take a little off and keep his fastball between the 93-95 range and go a bit easier on his arm.  At one time, I thought Richards was a true ace.  I no longer believe that.  Outside of his slider and fastball he doesn't throw a lot more.  He's afraid to throw his change-up (I think he attributes his change up to his arm injury), and his curveball is still a work in progress.  In addition, Richards allows his psyche to get the better of him.  That's why yesterdays game was a real big deal because he didn't have a meltdown after his early struggles.  If Richards puts together a complete season then I hope the Angels offer him a nice contract.  Something that is front loaded with an option in year 4.  Also, correct me if I am wrong, but Richards has avoided arbitration every year and I think we should reward him for that on the front end.  I figure a three year worth 50-55 million with a team option for year four.  Again, that's assuming he stays healthy all year.   

11 hours ago, John Taylor said:

He did what an Ace is supposed to do, stop a losing streak. It's weird I have never seen a pitching staff that is so stuck in its own head like this years staff. Each pitcher has good stuff but tend to mentally lose it after 3 or 4 innings. I'm glad GRich overcame the last start.

Is that due to most of them having limited innings the past 2-3 years?

I was at Saturday night's game -- had great seats on a beautiful Anaheim weather evening.

I had in the club level just to the third base side of home plate even with press row.

don't like to spoil the party thread here -- and Richards stats did look good in the box score -- but IMO he clearly was not dominating, seemed to be struggling much of the night, benefited from Country Joe West's expanded strike zone (high and outside pitches especially) - to be fair Derek Holland, SF Giants and their pitchers got the same expanded strike zone --

Richards looked in the fifth inning like he was one pitch away from being pulled (he ended striking out SF Giants catcher Hundley after running the count to 3-2 and if he had not gotten the K and walked Hundley instead, I think Sosh would have been out to the mound to yank him).

relievers Johnson and Middleton both looked extremely sharp and a real contrast to the struggling Richards.  Both did short work of the Giants line up (minus Posey -- who really should have pinch hit for Hundley in the ninth).

I guess the best news is that Richards ended up turning in a quality start stat game despite clearly not being at his best.

it's actually that type of performance which makes the difference between a good season and a great season for a pitcher.

if you can win half the starts where you didn't have your best stuff -- you're going to have a pretty good season.

32 minutes ago, disarcina said:

I was at Saturday night's game -- had great seats on a beautiful Anaheim weather evening.

I had in the club level just to the third base side of home plate even with press row.

don't like to spoil the party thread here -- and Richards stats did look good in the box score -- but IMO he clearly was not dominating, seemed to be struggling much of the night, benefited from Country Joe West's expanded strike zone (high and outside pitches especially) - to be fair Derek Holland, SF Giants and their pitchers got the same expanded strike zone --

Richards looked in the fifth inning like he was one pitch away from being pulled (he ended striking out SF Giants catcher Hundley after running the count to 3-2 and if he had not gotten the K and walked Hundley instead, I think Sosh would have been out to the mound to yank him).

relievers Johnson and Middleton both looked extremely sharp and a real contrast to the struggling Richards.  Both did short work of the Giants line up (minus Posey -- who really should have pinch hit for Hundley in the ninth).

As an Angels fan we have to accept that as a quality start. Remember the days when Ace pitchers would throw 8 innings, tip his cap and then they would bring in the closer. Now we clap for five complete innings.