• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I think they'll be teams that we could get them  to overpay for Richards.But for this to happen we need Richards to pitch really well these nest few starts. I think we could get a team like the Rockies to overpay for Richards, because of his stuff and he's an ground ball pitcher. I'd ask for Lambert as the center piece. 

Maybe if he pitch really well, we could have a chance for Duplantier from AZ..... we'll probably need to move a few extra pieces alongside Richards.   

Where do you think either of those guys would rank in our system? You think it's better than what we would get from an extra compensatory pick and the slot money that comes with it?

Starting to have doubts on Jahmai Jones switch to 2nd base. Last night the 66ers were playing a shift with Jones on the outfield grass and a hard hit ground ball hugged the ground and went under Jones's  glove. On another play he made a weak throw to first on a double play ball, runner safe at first. The runner running to second was coming in hard, but he should of made a better throw.

14 minutes ago, Stax said:

Starting to have doubts on Jahmai Jones switch to 2nd base. Last night the 66ers were playing a shift with Jones on the outfield grass and a hard hit ground ball hugged the ground and went under Jones's  glove. On another play he made a weak throw to first on a double play ball, runner safe at first. The runner running to second was coming in hard, but he should of made a better throw.

I think Jahmai is prime trade bait. We have the 2B or OF prospect depth to deal him. He hasn't done anything to hurt his value this season, and an acquiring team could see him as a OF or 2B going forward - it's up to them, and it makes him a very versatile and appealing candidate for an acquiring team.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was also (some of) the thought process behind Ward's move, but he took to it so well no team would move him back to catcher now, and the Halos may not be inclined to deal him at all now either.

Just a few thoughts from this thread....

1. I've watched Ward enough times in Milb.tv and in person now to say that he's not a "plus" defender at 3B. He looks a little awkward with balls hit right at him but oddly enough looks like a total natural with balls to his right and left. His arm plays up. He just needs to get conformable is all and that takes reps. And I've watched him hit and have gone into detail for everyone the difference in his swing this year. The changes he made have made his performance legitimate. He's good, and close to ready.

2. I consider it actually trying to get back in the race and win it by promoting Ward and JMF along with Fletcher. Thaiss is working through some things right now but once he adjusts it'll be time to get him up too. 

3. By advocating for their promotion, I'm not necessarily pushing for them to permanently be part of the team as much as I am saying that they can help the team right now and it's good to get their feet wet. It's like with Hermosillo. I think he's going to be a solid starting OF somewhere or a great 4th OF here. I don't deny he needs more time in AAA, but it's been very good for him to come up and struggle in the majors this year because now he knows the adjustments he'll have to make if he wants to be successful. Being stuck in AAA this whole time never would have offered Hermosillo that instruction. Failure is the best learning tool and if they aren't failing in AAA then they need to be in the majors for a little bit so that they can, and then go back to AAA to work on these things.

4. They definitely should not get rid of Richards in my mind. He's close with Trout and if you trade Richards away, then it's the beginning of the end. Same with Calhoun and Pujols unfortunately. If those guys are gone, Trout isn't signing an extension and he leaves via FA. Richards was pissed with the Angels in the beginning of his career as a major leaguer because they kept sticking him in the pen and in AAA when he should've been starting. But a lot of that subsided once they put him in the rotation but then frustration came about once again during his rehab with his knee. He felt he was ready but the Angels were vehement that he stay off the mound. He wasn't so much angry with them as he was with the process. He's a competitor and hates being shelved. The onus has been on the Angels to get him out there and let him compete and stop babying him. The onus is on Richards to stay healthy and compete. They're a match, and they shouldn't be trading Richards at all. In fact they should be making every effort to extend him right now. I get it, we have a ton of pitching coming off the DL next year, and a couple guys like Canning and Suarez that may break into the rotation. That's great, we haven't had that in a while, but when Garrett is healthy, he's a #1 starter. The Angels need that, especially if Ohtani gets surgery. Garrett Richards needs to be an Angel for another 3-4 years.

I agree re: Richards. While on paper I like the idea of trading for a nice prospect (although there's no way we'd get Hiura) and then re-signing him in the offseason, there's a good chance he'll be pissed off and/or enjoy playing for the presumed contender he was shipped to. He's still a good pitcher and plus the Trout connection makes me want to see him signed for a few years at least.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I think Jahmai is prime trade bait. We have the 2B or OF prospect depth to deal him. He hasn't done anything to hurt his value this season, and an acquiring team could see him as a OF or 2B going forward - it's up to them, and it makes him a very versatile and appealing candidate for an acquiring team.

Yes, I agree. The Angels have plenty of options at 2B and the OF in the future, and Jones might not even be at the top of the 2B depth chart with the season Rengifo is having.

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Just a few thoughts from this thread....

1. I've watched Ward enough times in Milb.tv and in person now to say that he's not a "plus" defender at 3B. He looks a little awkward with balls hit right at him but oddly enough looks like a total natural with balls to his right and left. His arm plays up. He just needs to get conformable is all and that takes reps. And I've watched him hit and have gone into detail for everyone the difference in his swing this year. The changes he made have made his performance legitimate. He's good, and close to ready.

2. I consider it actually trying to get back in the race and win it by promoting Ward and JMF along with Fletcher. Thaiss is working through some things right now but once he adjusts it'll be time to get him up too. 

3. By advocating for their promotion, I'm not necessarily pushing for them to permanently be part of the team as much as I am saying that they can help the team right now and it's good to get their feet wet. It's like with Hermosillo. I think he's going to be a solid starting OF somewhere or a great 4th OF here. I don't deny he needs more time in AAA, but it's been very good for him to come up and struggle in the majors this year because now he knows the adjustments he'll have to make if he wants to be successful. Being stuck in AAA this whole time never would have offered Hermosillo that instruction. Failure is the best learning tool and if they aren't failing in AAA then they need to be in the majors for a little bit so that they can, and then go back to AAA to work on these things.

4. They definitely should not get rid of Richards in my mind. He's close with Trout and if you trade Richards away, then it's the beginning of the end. Same with Calhoun and Pujols unfortunately. If those guys are gone, Trout isn't signing an extension and he leaves via FA. Richards was pissed with the Angels in the beginning of his career as a major leaguer because they kept sticking him in the pen and in AAA when he should've been starting. But a lot of that subsided once they put him in the rotation but then frustration came about once again during his rehab with his knee. He felt he was ready but the Angels were vehement that he stay off the mound. He wasn't so much angry with them as he was with the process. He's a competitor and hates being shelved. The onus has been on the Angels to get him out there and let him compete and stop babying him. The onus is on Richards to stay healthy and compete. They're a match, and they shouldn't be trading Richards at all. In fact they should be making every effort to extend him right now. I get it, we have a ton of pitching coming off the DL next year, and a couple guys like Canning and Suarez that may break into the rotation. That's great, we haven't had that in a while, but when Garrett is healthy, he's a #1 starter. The Angels need that, especially if Ohtani gets surgery. Garrett Richards needs to be an Angel for another 3-4 years.

Agree with all but #4, but I guess I could be swayed to change my mind.   Will Richards EVER have a season where he doesn't go on the DL?   He is already 30 this season. 

I think we all have to look at the internal 2B options from a tools standpoint before saying we should deal Jones. 

1. Fletcher - Good defense, good contact hitter, decent plate discipline.  Quick but doesn't really steal bases.  No power.  Bottom of the lineup hitter, but won't get bat knock out of his hands. 

2. Fernandez - Below average defense, good contact and good plate discipline.  Good pull power, good gap power elsewhere.  No speed, and that prevents him from being top of the order. 

3. Rengifo - Good defense, decent contact, good plate discipline.  Some gap power, but not much HR power at all.  Fast, but undisciplined runner.  Well-suited for the bottom half of the order. 

4. Jones - Below average defense that figures to be average with reps.  Good plate discipline.  Good gap power that will grow into good HR power.  Fast, disciplined runner.  Great fit for the top of the order or bottom. 

I think for now, I look at it like this.....

2019: Fletcher should be the utility infielder, Cozart will slide over to second base as he showed great defense there earlier this season and the glove at 3B didn't profile as well as we thought it would.  Taylor Ward will be the starting 3B and Matt Thaiss will inherit Valbuena's role, except only at 1B.  Fernandez will continue to be depth at AAA, while Rengifo moves to AAA and Jones to AA. 

2020: The Angels trade Cozart after he fails to hit for the second consecutive season, Albert Pujols retires and they make a huge splash and sign Nolan Arenado.  The Angels trade Taylor Ward for bullpen help after a solid yet unspectacular season at 3B in 2019.  Rengifo and Fletcher split second base and the utility spot, but Jahmai Jones reaches another level in AAA (as elite athletes tend to do) and claims the second base job for good in June.  Matt Thaiss is the full time 1B and they bring in a one year rental to handle DH when Ohtani isn't doing it. 

2021:  Arenado at 3B, Simmons at SS (he'll have signed an extension by then), Jahmai Jones at 2B, Matt Thaiss at 1B, and either Rengifo or Feltcher at the utility infielder.  The other will be traded for more relief pitching. 

Good summary and speculation, Scotty. I suppose my only point of departure is that I'm more optimistic about Rengifo, or at least hopeful that he can be a legit top of the order OBP threat, and I'm also more skeptical about Jones' long-term potential. I could also see Rengifo earning the 2B role sometime in 2019 and holding onto it, with Jones eventually traded.

I'm also a bit leery about Arenado as he seems like your classic Coors inflated performer. On the surface he's a very consistent .300 BA, 40 HR hitter - which is absurdly good for a third baseman. His BA has also increased in each of the last three years: .287, .294, .309, .312. But Before this year he's never had a wRC+ (or OPS+) above 130. And consider his career home/road splits:

Career:

Home: .319/.371/.605

Road: .265/.321/.476

Or in 2018: 

Home: .364/.439/.702

Road: 261/.357/.503

Arenado is probably more like a .270/.350/.500 hitter which with good defense is still a star third baseman, but someone is going to ignore the splits and sign him to a mega-contract deep into his mid or late 30s. Hopefully not the Angels.

55 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Good summary and speculation, Scotty. I suppose my only point of departure is that I'm more optimistic about Rengifo, or at least hopeful that he can be a legit top of the order OBP threat, and I'm also more skeptical about Jones' long-term potential. I could also see Rengifo earning the 2B role sometime in 2019 and holding onto it, with Jones eventually traded.

I'm also a bit leery about Arenado as he seems like your classic Coors inflated performer. On the surface he's a very consistent .300 BA, 40 HR hitter - which is absurdly good for a third baseman. His BA has also increased in each of the last three years: .287, .294, .309, .312. But Before this year he's never had a wRC+ (or OPS+) above 130. And consider his career home/road splits:

Career:

Home: .319/.371/.605

Road: .265/.321/.476

Or in 2018: 

Home: .364/.439/.702

Road: 261/.357/.503

Arenado is probably more like a .270/.350/.500 hitter which with good defense is still a star third baseman, but someone is going to ignore the splits and sign him to a mega-contract deep into his mid or late 30s. Hopefully not the Angels.

I figure as an Angel, Arenado hits .280 with 30 HR and gold glove defense.

There's always the possibility he accepts a QO, with the hopes that he can rebuild his quasi-ace status and get big money after 2019. So the options:

Extend with Angels now or in offseason: 3-4 years, $12-16MM per year, so 3/36 to 4/64. My guess would be 3/45 with a mutual option 4th year.

Get QO and then hope for the best in 2019: $15MM+ QO, then either nothing (injury) or possibly 4-5 years, $15-18MM, or 4/60 to 5/95.

I always forget to read this thread.

Sorry if already been answered, but in terms of our top prospects (adell, jones, thaisse, marsh, cannin and suarez from what i read on here), can someone provide a quick comp for these guys? Like if things work out, who do we expect these guys to turn into? Like when trout was going to be grady sizemore for example.

55 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Sorry if already been answered, but in terms of our top prospects (adell, jones, thaisse, marsh, cannin and suarez from what i read on here), can someone provide a quick comp for these guys? Like if things work out, who do we expect these guys to turn into? Like when trout was going to be grady sizemore for example.

Jo Adell: Justin Upton isn't a bad comp, with the idea that Adell could be "bad Upton" (.260/.750-800, 25 HR) or "good Upton" (.290/.900, 35 HR). I could also see something like Andre Dawson or Dave Winfield. Best-case scenario: Frank Robinson.

Brandon Marsh: He's harder to guess as it is unclear how much power he'll develop. I've heard the Josh Reddick comp thrown around, but I see more of a balanced hitter like Shin-Soo Choo or Bobby Abreu or a non-roid era version of Brian Giles.

Matt Thaiss: Brandon Belt, maybe? Worst-case scenario: Casey Kotchman or maybe Scott Spiezio.

Jahmai Jones: Howie Kendrick with walks and more speed, lower side of Howie's BA spectrum. Ray Durham?

Griffin Canning: For some reason Dan Haren comes to mind. #2-3 starter.

Jose Suarez: I see another Jaime Barria: solid #3-4 starter.

Luis Rengifo: Who knows. He's really one of the most mysterious prospects. Before this year he was a future utility player ala Maicer Izturis, now he could be a star. Brian Roberts? Willie Randolph?

David Fletcher: David Eckstein is too easy but a good comp. I could see Fletcher being a better hitter, though.

Taylor Ward: Maybe Robin Ventura with mediocre defense? Edge: Lowell?

Kevin Maitan: Somewhere between Miggy Cabrera and the fat guy who works at the taco truck.

Too soon to say with Jordyn Adams, Orlando Martinez, Jeremiah Jackson, D'Shawn Knowles, Trent Deveaux, Jose Soriano, etc.

51 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I like the George Springer comp for Adell.

Not sure about Jones

Thaiss reminds me of Daniel Murphy at the plate right now

I remember someone compared Marsh to Charlie Blackmon

Canning = Trevor Bauer

Suarez = Sean Manea

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Hey welcome 10:8! 

Jo Adell - George Springer but with more speed and slightly more raw power and less plate discipline.  Similar defensive profile.  I'll say he's a 5-7 win player.  A borderline superstar. 

Brandon Marsh - Charlie Blackmon all the way.  Generally speaking, a 4-5 win player. 

Matt Thaiss - Carlos Santana (also a former catcher). 

Jahmai Jones - Ask me in a year.  Impossible to guess this early into his tenure as a second baseman. 

Griffin Canning - Roy Oswalt, Trevor Bauer type. 

Jose Suarez - I honestly don't know.  Poor man's Cueto maybe?  I haven't given this one much thought. 

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Adell = Eddie Murphy

Thaiss = Frank Stallone

Marsh = Frank Stallone with gay hair

Canning = Judge Reinhold

Jones = Black Powers Boothe

Suarez = Frank Stallone 

Jones is more of a mocha Powers Boothe but otherwise agree with your comps.

Edited by Inside Pitch

https://prospects-365.com/2018/07/05/ray-butlers-2018-midseason-top-200-prospects-41-60/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

46. Jahmai Jones, 2B, LAA, Age: 20

Another ledge. If I compiled my rankings from an AVG standpoint, Jones would likely be outside my top 50. But I’m a sucker for the 12.3 BB% that’s pushed the 20-year-old’s slash to .241/.341/.392 this season. As a 60-speed prospect, Jones is certainly due for some positive regression in the AVG compartment. I also think the raw power is 55, which makes Jones a 55-hit, 55-raw power, 60-speed second baseman. The 20 year old shifted to second base at the start of the regular season, and I suspect that’s the primary reason he’s still in High-A. I’d assume a promotion is on its way sometime relatively soon. There might always be some volatility depending on your league format, but Jones’ ceiling is that of a 20 HR/20 SB second baseman. I rest my case. Interested in more? Jones was a featured prospect in the Ramblings last month.

4 hours ago, wopphil said:

What is Richard's going to cost to re-sign? Does he get Happ money (3/36) or Rich Hill money (3/48). Or does some team offer him 4 years?

Well when you take into consideration his DL time I think he would be smart to sign a 2-4 year deal for somewhere around $12-15M per.... I really think the Angels would be better off extending him, he still throws really hard and is a good starter.